U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 04:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,280 times

Advertisements

After doing research for a while, Minnesota is the state I want to call home. I'm bringing my consultation company with me and I'll be working remotely. Employment isn't an issue so we can take that out of the following equation.

The biggest issue I have is deciding where in Minnesota to move. Let's see if we can narrow it down with the following ideals, hopefully not compromising them too much. I know I can't have all of it within 5 feet of me, but here goes:

- cold and lots of snow
- fishing / ice fishing
- hunting when I want
- possibly mountains not too far?
- safe, low crime area
- really nice people
- big city nearby (events, concerts, social stuff etc)

Basically, outdoorsy-type stuff nearby, but with the convenience and social stuff of a big city only a few minutes away. I've never been the type that wants to live in big cities due to how hectic it is (I like peace an quiet), but being close to one sure is convenient for getting the things you need and dining and so on. So, isolated one minute, big city the next with people to hang out with so I won't get lonely.

I know you have about three and a half million lakes once every 5 feet there, but Lake Superior is just gorgeous, so it's of interest. Also, I'm taking it that the farther north you go, the colder and snowier it gets. Lake Superior is north of the Twin Cities so I'm kind of eyeing that area. It would be great to be nearer the border too in case I wanted to take a trip to Canada someday.

I seem to want all of it within a 5 minute drive but that's probably not going to happen. I'll of course be flying up to stay for a while to explore what my options are, so I wanted to get a head start with where to head first with this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 08:44 AM

10,577 posts, read 6,848,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Syn View Post
After doing research for a while, Minnesota is the state I want to call home. I'm bringing my consultation company with me and I'll be working remotely. Employment isn't an issue so we can take that out of the following equation.

The biggest issue I have is deciding where in Minnesota to move. Let's see if we can narrow it down with the following ideals, hopefully not compromising them too much. I know I can't have all of it within 5 feet of me, but here goes:

- cold and lots of snow
In Minnesota, you got it. Obviously, the further north the more of each, but you'll get both - especially cold - all over the state every winter.

Quote:
- fishing / ice fishing
The only parts of the state really light on lakes are the southwest (to the point where Rock County, the SW-most county in the state, is the only county without a natural lake in it) and the southeast (part of the Driftless Area, with deep ravines but few lakes).

Otherwise, you'll always be close to a lake. And they're almost all full of fish.

Quote:
- hunting when I want
There's top-notch deer huntuing statewide, with bear hunting up north, and duck/goose/pheasant/turkey/grouse/etc. hunting in abundance.

Quote:
- possibly mountains not too far?
We've got a few things sportingly called mountains, but they stretch the definition of the term. There's some named ranges in Michigan's Upper Peninsula (2-3 hours east of Duluth), but they're even lower than the highest summits in Minnesota.

The nearest real mountains are the Black Hills in western South Dakota, a long day's drive away.

The nearest alpine mountains and the Bighorn Mountains in north-central Wyoming, a very long day's drive away.

Quote:
- safe, low crime area
Easily met - Minnesota as a whole is in the bottom (low=better in this case) quintile nationally for crime rates.

Quote:
- really nice people
That's subjective - you'll have to figure that out for yourself.

Quote:
- big city nearby (events, concerts, social stuff etc)
What's 'big'?

Obviously, you have the Twin Cities - the metro area constitutes the majority of the state's population. The next largest metro is Duluth-Superior (the latter across the harbor in Wisconsin). This is probably the sweet-spot for a decent-sized metro area with convenient access to good hunting and fishing. It's location makes it easy to get tags for two states, as well, if you can't get enough of the white-tails.

If employment really isn't an issue, you can find a place within the city of Duluth that is essentially rural (and in the north, that means wilderness) - the municipal borders of the city extend well beyond development and into the northwoods. Maybe the north (inland) or northeast (along the North Shore) periphery of the city would be ideal for you.

Of course, Duluth cannot compare to the Twin Cities when it comes to some of the amenities you list.

The next-largest metro in the state is Rochester, which is fast-growing and will pass Duluth (and it's stagnant population) before long. But Rochester really doesn't fit the profile of what you're seeking, I think. After Rochester, it's a pretty good drop-off to the next-largest metro area.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:31 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,053,341 times
I'd move to the north central area. Bemidji, Brainerd, etc.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:47 AM

5,799 posts, read 4,833,966 times
No mountains in or close to MN.

And you're probably going to have to drive further to get into a city than you had hoped.

I think Duluth really answers most of your wishes (and it's so hilly you might pretend you're in the mountains), except crime might be a litte higher than you want - depends on your perspective and what part of town you choose. Grand Marais would be a fun and beautiful place to live, but it's about a 2 hr drive to Duluth, or even longer when the tourists from Mpls/St. Paul are clogging 61.

You're definitely going to have to come and explore, then ask some questions about places you've seen that you liked.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:42 AM

210 posts, read 223,943 times
I think Duluth is probably the right spot for you. It's about a three hour drive to the Twin Cities where you can go to the Mall of America, major airport (Duluth also has a small airport but it's typically more expensive by $200-400/ticket than the MSP airport to fly in or out of there). Sometimes you can get a great deal though.

You will have plenty of snow, Lake Superior, lots of ice fishing options around, Canada isn't too far (my FIL does fly-in fishing trips from Duluth to Canada a lot), hunting, pretty nice people complemented by lots of hills. No mountains, though.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:32 AM

731 posts, read 523,586 times
If you work remotely and don't have to beat bricks for a job, consider the Brainerd area. 2.5 hours to Minnespolis and it is a beautiful area. I grew up there and my family is still there. Lots of lakes and year round recreation, and is not boring and flat. I would recommend it because it is beautiful and does not get as cold as other parts of the state. It is just a challenge to show up there and look for work. Even growing up there, finding work was tough. If physical location does not matter, go for this pleasant and friendly area. I miss it and go back often in the summer. Check it out!

Old 03-15-2015, 10:17 PM

1,688 posts, read 3,336,794 times
Lots of lakes around this area.

Last edited by demtion35; 03-15-2015 at 11:19 PM..

Old 03-15-2015, 11:18 PM

1,688 posts, read 3,336,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraki View Post
I think Duluth is probably the right spot for you. It's about a three hour drive to the Twin Cities where you can go to the Mall of America, major airport (Duluth also has a small airport but it's typically more expensive by $200-400/ticket than the MSP airport to fly in or out of there). Sometimes you can get a great deal though.

You will have plenty of snow, Lake Superior, lots of ice fishing options around, Canada isn't too far (my FIL does fly-in fishing trips from Duluth to Canada a lot), hunting, pretty nice people complemented by lots of hills. No mountains, though.
I agree.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:54 AM

749 posts, read 729,872 times
I agree with the others- the area near Duluth sounds like the right fit for you. Contrary to popular conceptions, Minnesota doesn't get all that much snow...it just stays could so long that the snow we get doesn't melt until spring. The arrowhead region (northeast) Minnesota gets the most snow-

File:Minnesota normal annual snowfall.png - Minnesota Stormwater Manual

You'll get plenty of cold no matter where you live in Minnesota.

There are no mountains here. You'll have to settle for hills or bluffs.

Duluth is not much of a 'city', honestly, so as another poster asked- how much of a 'city' are you looking for? Perhaps off the freeway running between Duluth and the Twin Cities might be ideal for you? That way you'd have two options depending on if you go north or south. They are about 150 miles apart so having access to both with an hour and a half drive either way is very doable.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:34 AM

18 posts, read 22,134 times
Hello, I'd say move to Detroit Lakes. It has Detroit Mountain. lol. Its not a mountain but does have some sking. Plus LOTS of lakes around the area, as well as hunting. 45 mins away from fargo ND. We did not have all that much snow this year though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota