U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 06:26 PM

6 posts, read 4,631 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our mid-30's, no children but 2 nephews who would visit us so we'd like at least some kid-friendly stuff to do in the area. Considering a move to MN and trying to find a decent while affordable Twin Cities suburb. Availability of public transit into the Twin Cities is a plus. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 08:29 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,757,144 times
When you say public transportation into the Twin Cities, what do you have in mind? St. Paul versus Minneapolis, for example, and do you mean all the time or just during commuting hours?

Those suburbs also range quite a bit in terms of "character" or amenities. Why that list? Just trying to get a sense of what you're looking for, as those are so very different in so many ways.

Personally, as someone in my mid-30s (albeit with a kid) off the 'burbs listed I'd go with Robbinsdale, but then again, I really don't like suburbs, and especially don't like modern new suburbs, so I may perhaps not be your best person. But Robbinsdale is convenient to Minneapolis, has its own distinct identity and character, is up-and-coming in its own right (and has some interesting food options), and just seems all-around more appealing to a young couple (good prices, too). Better public transportation options than all the other options listed, too, except perhaps parts of Golden Valley.

This is assuming you have a Minneapolis orientation. If you're planning on taking public transportation into St. Paul I'd go with a St. Paul location (if insistent on the 'burbs, then Roseville or the like would be a convenient St. Paul suburb, and also close to Como Park for when the kids come -- or when you just want to enjoy it yourselves)

Woodbury and Eagan have always struck me as rather bland. Woodbury in particular would be a poor choice if commuting to Minneapolis, but could be a fine choice if looking for modern suburban living and commuting to St. Paul.

You'll be able to find fun stuff to do with visiting kids in any of these locations, either nearby, or within a relatively short drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota