U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 03:36 PM

12 posts, read 9,439 times

Advertisements

So looks like our little family is making the move to Minnesota. Husband is in the military so looks like we'll be stationed near north Saint Paul .... I was just wondering if yall can give me some ideas as what to expect? What's the area like? Is it safe? What are the better areas? Also I was curious where the Polish community is? i know nothing of that's area or any cities around, so just looking for some advice as to what to expect. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 01:45 PM

Anyone got any answers for me?

Old 03-24-2015, 02:22 PM

437 posts, read 393,143 times
North St. Paul is close to some nice communities: Maplewood, Oakdale, Mahtomedi, and even North St. Paul itself. The schools in those communities aren't the best in the Twin Cities, but they're better than average (especially better than the average in other parts of the country).

We do have a large portion of the population with Polish heritage, but not necessarily as big as Illinois and parts of Wisconsin. However, the Twin Cities Polish Festival is in August, and the Polish presence is heaviest in Northeast Minneapolis.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:27 PM

Thank you!

Old 03-24-2015, 02:28 PM

We don't have any kids but we're both in out late 20's early 30's ... How's that area for people our age? And is it safe? What are the pros and cons ?

Old 03-24-2015, 03:15 PM

Depending on what activities you're interested in, it can be a great area for people in their '20s and '30s. Unfortunately (like a lot of places) you'll find a lot of people your age are just starting their families and don't have a lot of time for a social life. However, Minneapolis and St. Paul both have a vibrant beer scene, amazing restaurants, and an endless supply of outdoor activities close by.

The Twin Cities area is very safe. Having lived in Chicago and spent a lot of time in D.C., California and overseas, I've never felt unsafe here, no matter what part of town I'm in or what time of day it is.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:57 PM

Awesome! Thanks! Also if your looking for a house on a lake what's a good area to focus on? Not to far from maplewood as that's where I think my husbands station wil be at ...

Old 03-24-2015, 05:30 PM

3,007 posts, read 1,710,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniia805 View Post
Awesome! Thanks! Also if your looking for a house on a lake what's a good area to focus on? Not to far from maplewood as that's where I think my husbands station wil be at ...
I would look in Little Canada.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniia805 View Post
Lake Owasso and Turtle Lake in Shoreview/Roseville, White Bear Lake (closer to North St. Paul) have lots of homes (depending on your budget). Some of the lakes north of the first-ring and second-ring suburbs will have more affordable deals.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:23 PM

Thanks guys! Now what should this Cali girl expect and get ready for? I'm from Cali hubby is from Texas and that's where we're moving from ... And where exactly is th polish community ? What's the fishing like? Is it all ice fishing like in "grumpy old men"? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or