U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 12:27 AM

35 posts, read 34,963 times

Advertisements

I'm assuming these EF-2 and such are the scale that ranks the strength of the tornado. I'm not used to that, but I guess if i move to Minnesota i better learn. To be honest, the idea of tornadoes was completely terrifying to me, but everyone here acts like they're not so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 04:14 PM

106 posts, read 74,390 times
It seems every 1-3 years, we get at least one tornado somewhere in the state that causes some destruction - but the path of destruction is usually fairly limited (a handful of single family homes, a school or strip mall, etc). Deaths from tornadoes here seem pretty rare, and I give credit to the fact that most buildings have a basement or other interior shelter in which to take cover during severe weather.

My take on natural disasters: the narrower the scope of destruction, the better, and the more forewarning, the better. Using that criteria, tornadoes are much less severe than hurricanes or earthquakes, which have the potential to devastate an entire metro area. I take some comfort in the fact that if my house was ever destroyed by a tornado, the vast majority of the surrounding metro area would be OK, as the limited scope of destruction (fewer houses that need to be replaced/repaired and less cleanup, availability of alternate untouched housing) would help me get back to normal more quickly than I would in an area ravaged by a severe hurricane or earthquake. With tornadoes, you usually have enough forewarning to take cover in a basement or other shelter, as long as you are paying attention to the weather. This is obviously not as much as you get with a hurricane, but better than you get with an earthquake.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:55 PM

28 posts, read 24,628 times
I've lived here all my life. Only twice have i been near a tornado. One was a E-1 that came near my house just a few houses down. The sirens went off in the middle of the night but never heard it or knew it was there. I also saw a water tornado last year in the countryside in dakota county. Looked just like a slow moving developing tornado. not dangerous though. that's it. houses in mn have basements or most do you are suppose to take cover during a tornado warning that is all you need to know .

Old 04-09-2015, 11:00 AM

137 posts, read 161,010 times
You do not need to worry about tornadoes in Minnesota. You do need to be aware of tornadoes and- more importantly- severe thunderstorms. Generally, only a few storm systems that spawn tornadoes hit Minnesota each year. Extra powerful, large, and long-lasting tornadoes are relatively rare in Minnesota. I've seen a few funnel clouds and had minor tornadoes within about two miles of me.

Severe thunderstorms are far more common and widespread. They're more of a nuisance the anything. Strong straight-line winds, monsoon rains, hail, and lightning generate insurance claims, create yard work and occasionally know out electricity. Really, you just don't want to be outside when the storm hits. For the worst ones, go to the basement. Or run outside and take pictures. Pay attention to forecasts, watch the skies, trust your instincts, and think twice about going hiking on a day with a strong chance of storms.

If you're a trendy twenty-something looking for a car-free lifestyle in an exciting urban area, you'll be disappointed with Rochester. If you're a rugged outdoorsy type looking to live off the grid in the wilderness, you'll also be disappointed with Rochester. If you're a parent looking for a safe and affordable place with good schools, great health care, and just enough to do, then you won't find many options better than the Rochester area. You could expand your search to include most of southern Minnesota and the Twin Cities and find a similar experience.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:15 PM

well good thing I'm interested in the last option! I have one daughter and hopefully I will be able to have one more, depending on the health care i will need. Good schools, fun things for kids, SAFE neighborhoods, relatively low cost of living and housing. That's what's important to me. I think Rochester will be a good fit.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:11 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,052,525 times
Tornados caused $80M of damage in North Minneapolis in 2011, and killed 1 person and injured 30 more in south minneapolis suburbs in 2012.

Where I grew up in northern MN, there were tornado touchdowns every summer somewhere nearby.

I've not heard of one hitting Rochester in recent times, but here's a cool video of a tornado near the area in 2011:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPnbBvpvmMU

Old 04-12-2015, 03:30 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,509,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
Tornados caused $80M of damage in North Minneapolis in 2011, and killed 1 person and injured 30 more in south minneapolis suburbs in 2012.

Where I grew up in northern MN, there were tornado touchdowns every summer somewhere nearby.

I've not heard of one hitting Rochester in recent times, but here's a cool video of a tornado near the area in 2011:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPnbBvpvmMU
Geeze, way to scare her off. ;-) I was terrified of hurricanes when I first moved to the south until we had a major one. We took the proper precautions. We were safe, there was damage but we fixed it. Not awesome but not worth all the fear I had for the years prior to it. Lots of wasted energy.

It's funny you mention you never felt a quake. I have been in about 10 mild to moderate ones living on the west coast and each time I didn't realize there was an earthquake. I would be super confused why the mattress kept sliding off the bed or lamp was falling over or thought I was dizzy.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:25 PM

Honestly, that video wasn't very scary, if anything I'm kind of more intrigued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota