U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 11:02 AM

38 posts, read 33,063 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone had anything to share about using Nextdoor as a means of staying in touch with your neighborhood. I've joined and I'm in the process of inviting as many neighbors as I can. They help by offering to email or sent postcard invites for free.

Has anyone tried this site, to stay up on criminal activity, neighborhood events, etc?

I like the fact that I've made face-to-face contact with about 9 neighbors in my immediate section of the block, but I'd love to get a feel for what the wider neighborhood is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 06:36 AM

437 posts, read 393,601 times
I'm on it in Blaine. There's not much content yet, but it will be nice if my neighbors actually use it.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:49 AM

4,530 posts, read 5,063,873 times
The Kingfield neighborhood in Minneapolis has a Facebook page that's a closed group so it's just people in the neighborhood. I'm not sure how that works, but it gets used a lot and I think that might be something for your neighborhood to look at.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryaninMSP View Post
I'm on it in Blaine. There's not much content yet, but it will be nice if my neighbors actually use it.
You can use it to invite neighbors via email or postcard. I sent 100 cards to neighbors I don't know, so I'm hoping a few sign on.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
The Kingfield neighborhood in Minneapolis has a Facebook page that's a closed group so it's just people in the neighborhood. I'm not sure how that works, but it gets used a lot and I think that might be something for your neighborhood to look at.
Yeah, I have high hopes for Nextdoor, but Facebook would be a good second option. The postcards offered by Nextdoor seemed like a good scheme for grabbing neighbors' attention.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:06 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,782,878 times
I like Facebook better, but Nextdoor is okay. In my area, you can set it to show or share messages only from my immediate neighborhood, or also nearby neighborhoods (Glenfield, until I turned it off -- too many messages -- Kingfield was appearing in my list, and was pretty active). I admittedly haven't paid too much attention to most of the posts, but it seems heavy on requests for recommendations and for advertising free stuff. It's one of those sites where the more people who use it, the better it will become. I just looked at our neighborhood map today, and it looks like most (although not all) blocks have at least one household signed up, so even though the numbers are still small the coverage is growing. I've used it to post a few things, and usually try to skim the messages from others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or