U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-25-2015, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Duluth, MN
515 posts, read 931,557 times
Reputation: 838

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hate Minnesota View Post
Everything you list is a considered reckless driving. Which is a crime. Tailgating means that you are endangering someone else. That someone else is a victim and therefore a crime. Yes. Piloting a vehicle at high speeds with people around you is endangering someone else...the victim. So, that's a crime. What's your point?
My point is that your point is ridiculous. Moreover, it's blatantly self-serving: "If I can't see a direct negative result to my actions, it's OK and I can do whatever I want..." Sounds like a great campaign slogan for a millennial political candidate.

Speeding does not equate to reckless driving unless it reaches a certain point, but anything less is still a danger, which is the reason we have speed limits, to begin with - i.e. speeding is still considered a violation of law, aka "a crime."

By your rationale, since everything I listed has a potential victim, so it's "a crime," hence they're not good examples. Fair enough.

But by that thought process, every violation is "a crime," anyway, because one could easily argue that there's a 'potential' victim for every violation of law - from something as straightforward as threat of injury to an individual to something as intangible as a loss of taxpayer dollars. That would make your entire point moot.

But even if we limit ourselves to traffic violations, the danger to others for exceeding speeds is clearly "a crime" because we are all potential victims.

Quote:
All I said was that a crime needs a victim. Any charge or infraction that does not involve a victim is not a crime. That is all.
And all I said was...you're wrong. Study the law, sometime. Better yet, deal with some folks who were out minding their own business and were t-boned by some idiot who was texting, drunk, or simply exceeding the speed limit (but because they had not yet killed anyone, assumed they weren't doing anything wrong...). Have an informed opinion rather than an "if-it-benefits-me-it's-OK" opinion.

Quote:
Minnesota is the land of 10,000+ dimwits.
Since you obviously "Hate Minnesota," feel free to leave. Then we'll be down to 9,999.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-25-2015, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
20,352 posts, read 20,501,937 times
Reputation: 31608
ignore the troll it will then go away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2015, 05:24 PM
 
143 posts, read 86,415 times
Reputation: 429
The speed limit was most likely 70, you could have safely passed at a lower speed. On the other hand you might not have caught up to the other driver had you been going the speed limit. Pay up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2015, 06:33 PM
 
Location: I am right here.
4,863 posts, read 3,733,997 times
Reputation: 15282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hate Minnesota View Post
Everything you list is a considered reckless driving. Which is a crime. Tailgating means that you are endangering someone else. That someone else is a victim and therefore a crime. Yes. Piloting a vehicle at high speeds with people around you is endangering someone else...the victim. So, that's a crime. What's your point?

All I said was that a crime needs a victim. Any charge or infraction that does not involve a victim is not a crime. That is all. Minnesota is the land of 10,000+ dimwits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
Now we are insulting an entire state?
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
This makes no sense. You know how to work the system? But yet you have had your fair share of traffic tickets, the last one $400.00?

What was that one for we would like to know.
Since you "Hate Minnesota", feel free to head on out. The state's collective IQ will increase significantly at that point.

You had a $400.00 ticket? Holy criminy!! Please leave so the rest of us are safer if that's how you drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2015, 08:19 PM
 
77 posts, read 70,357 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Since you "Hate Minnesota", feel free to head on out. The state's collective IQ will increase significantly at that point.

You had a $400.00 ticket? Holy criminy!! Please leave so the rest of us are safer if that's how you drive.
It seems that none of you understand the justice system. I fought the ticket and had it thrown out on the contingency that I paid $400 toward court costs. Minnesota is full of dimwits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 08:57 AM
 
1,188 posts, read 1,054,395 times
Reputation: 2083
You will not beat the ticket, since you have 2 priors for speeding and are only 25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2015, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Sector 001
7,168 posts, read 5,983,335 times
Reputation: 8113
I would pay the fine and get on with your life... speeding 18 over the limit is the risk you take. 88 MPH is not very uncommon here in South Dakota... I'd estimate 20% of drivers go around that speed, with higher numbers the further west you go in the state so I'm not going to scold you about how 'dangerous' it is because it's really not dangerous if the roads are straight and visibility is good.

However they are within their rights to fine you and they are not going to care about any stories you give them.. they hear enough of that kind of stuff. They could probably raise the speed limit to 75 in the flat, rural parts of western and Southern MN... in particular I-90 going through the Southern part.. there's nothing particularly dangerous about going 75 on that flat, boring stretch of the state. I usually go about 76 and have done so back and forth probably 15-20 times and never a ticket despite getting seen by highway patrol numerous times so it doesn't seem like they care about that speed anyways.

At that speed I pass 75% of MN plated drivers... people in WI and SD both seem to driver faster than MN people on average. IL drivers are faster yet. I've noticed Texas drivers have a tendency to fly by as well along with Canadian drivers.

Last edited by stockwiz; 05-02-2015 at 09:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2015, 03:21 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,805 posts, read 17,034,791 times
Reputation: 8981
Idk about that county but in Ramsey you can pay extra money, and if you don't get another moving violation in a year the ticket will be off your record. I just called the number on the back of the ticket and made an appointment with an hearing officer and he told me this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top