U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 03:36 PM

18 posts, read 19,959 times

Advertisements

Im just looking for some other community advice here.

Ticketed on 35 headed up to Duluth from St. Paul for 88 on 70, trooper cut it down to 80 since driving record is clean for the past 5 years.

Ive had 2 priors for speeding, (I was young and dumb even though Im only 25 as of now) and a fender bender cause a guy, no license, no insurance short stopped me out of a stop light. Everything was dropped.

Story starts here:

On 35 headed to Duluth, we were both in the left lane, car in front of me was swerving a little back and forth. Center of lane to dashed line to center to dash or to solid line etc. Wasnt in a jerky fashion but in a slow wave path like a stretched out "S". Eventually after a good stretch of road his brake lights started coming on in a flashing style like he was pumping his brakes fashion. Immediately he moved over to the right lane.

I didnt think much of this except, "that guys an accident waiting to happen." So I proceeded to pass him. I attempted to get back into the right lane but didnt feel I could safely do so between that car and another so I proceeded to pass the car infront him. I get back into the right lane and minute or so later Im checking my side mirrors to make sure Im centered in lane, I notice a trooper with his lights on. You know the rest.

Small town, small county where it was so I called the prosecutor after calling the single courthouse and finding out who I can speak with. Prosecutor already said no to anything cause of priors and is only willing to take yes or no w/ court appearance.

Unfortunately the drive is 2 hours and if the prosecutor already said no, I have a feeling the judge will be the same. Its my word against theirs and the letter of the law. Ive now invested in a dash cam cause of this but I just wanted to see what others would do in this situation. I imagine it wouldnt just be one single trip but multiple trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 09:54 PM

209 posts, read 189,532 times
Sounds to me like you should just plead guilty to the lesser speed of 80 and pay the fine. The only way you'd win this is if the officer doesn't show up in court.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:18 AM

127 posts, read 269,241 times
Cut your losses. You got past what was an accident waiting to happen and the cop gave you a break.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:31 AM

20,353 posts, read 20,509,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen00 View Post

Ticketed on 35 headed up to Duluth from St. Paul for 88 on 70, trooper cut it down to 80 since driving record is clean for the past 5 years.

Ive had 2 priors for speeding, (I was young and dumb even though Im only 25 as of now) and a fender bender cause a guy, no license, no insurance short stopped me out of a stop light. Everything was dropped.

Story starts here:

On 35 headed to Duluth, we were both in the left lane, car in front of me was swerving a little back and forth. Center of lane to dashed line to center to dash or to solid line etc. Wasnt in a jerky fashion but in a slow wave path like a stretched out "S". Eventually after a good stretch of road his brake lights started coming on in a flashing style like he was pumping his brakes fashion. Immediately he moved over to the right lane.

I didnt think much of this except, "that guys an accident waiting to happen." So I proceeded to pass him. I attempted to get back into the right lane but didnt feel I could safely do so between that car and another so I proceeded to pass the car infront him. I get back into the right lane and minute or so later Im checking my side mirrors to make sure Im centered in lane, I notice a trooper with his lights on. You know the rest.

Small town, small county where it was so I called the prosecutor after calling the single courthouse and finding out who I can speak with. Prosecutor already said no to anything cause of priors and is only willing to take yes or no w/ court appearance.

Unfortunately the drive is 2 hours and if the prosecutor already said no, I have a feeling the judge will be the same. Its my word against theirs and the letter of the law. Ive now invested in a dash cam cause of this but I just wanted to see what others would do in this situation. I imagine it wouldnt just be one single trip but multiple trips.
I bet you could make it in 90 minutes if you put a little effort into it

Old 04-24-2015, 09:34 AM

4,539 posts, read 5,076,306 times
Why was the guy swerving and flashing his brake lights? Were you tailgating? And you are talking about a freeway here, so you didn't need to go 88 to get back in the right hand lane.

You're guilty so fess up and pay the fine.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:54 AM

18 posts, read 19,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn shutterbug View Post
Sounds to me like you should just plead guilty to the lesser speed of 80 and pay the fine. The only way you'd win this is if the officer doesn't show up in court.
Yes but it would only be fair if he showed up although that is probably as non beneficial as it would get for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotz90s View Post
Cut your losses. You got past what was an accident waiting to happen and the cop gave you a break.
Thinking the same thing. Days past as a courier Ive seen too many accidents due to people not paying attention and displaying similar swerving actions. Usually to pass them only to see them texting and driving or attempting to eat something of more difficulty -usually food items with dips or sauces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I bet you could make it in 90 minutes if you put a little effort into it
Hah. Probably make it in less time if it was a plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Why was the guy swerving and flashing his brake lights? Were you tailgating? And you are talking about a freeway here, so you didn't need to go 88 to get back in the right hand lane.

You're guilty so fess up and pay the fine.

I was a decent space from him, wasnt counting the seconds but Id say at least 2-3 cars worth.

How should I know the reason for swerving? Brake lights came on and he moved over immediately and I attempted to pass immediately as well only to get the trooper on me. Maybe he had a radar detector? Officer did ask me if I knew how fast I was going when I was passing before I got back into lane. Not sure how many people check their speedometer while passing given whats in front and their blind spots.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:56 AM

2,533 posts, read 2,391,053 times
I was once stopped for speeding by a county deputy in rural Kansas. I was behind an erratic driver. I decided that it would be safer in front of, as opposed to behind the driver. So I began to pass them. As I was passing, they sped up, so I gunned-it and got in front of them. The deputy then stopped me for speeding, telling me in a smarmy manner that it is illegal to speed even when passing. My explanation was ignored, and I was issued a ticket for $280.

The idealist in me wanted to fight the ticket. I even started preparing my defense and contacted the county for relevant evidence.

However, the realist in me soon started doing the math.

A return trip to Kansas to fight the ticket in person would cost me nearly $800 when including travel, lodging, and missed work.

Alternatively, hiring a local attorney to fight the ticket in my absence, would have cost me $600 inclusive of court fees--with no guarantee of winning.

So, I sent a check for $280 to Johnson County, Kansas. Guilty or not, it is often best to swallow one's pride and pay the ticket.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:30 AM

4,539 posts, read 5,076,306 times
Quote:
Yes but it would only be fair if he showed up although that is probably as non beneficial as it would get for me.

Thinking the same thing. Days past as a courier Ive seen too many accidents due to people not paying attention and displaying similar swerving actions. Usually to pass them only to see them texting and driving or attempting to eat something of more difficulty -usually food items with dips or sauces.

Hah. Probably make it in less time if it was a plane.

I was a decent space from him, wasnt counting the seconds but Id say at least 2-3 cars worth.

How should I know the reason for swerving? Brake lights came on and he moved over immediately and I attempted to pass immediately as well only to get the trooper on me. Maybe he had a radar detector? Officer did ask me if I knew how fast I was going when I was passing before I got back into lane. Not sure how many people check their speedometer while passing given whats in front and their blind spots.
They ask you if you know how fast you were going so they can use it as a confession if you decide to take it to court.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:54 PM

77 posts, read 70,372 times
Upload your ticket and find a lawyer

I'm a fairly safe, but quick driver. I don't speed recklessly in traffic, but I've had my fair share of citations from bored and/or overly eager Traffic Cops. State Troopers see everything on the road and I don't even attempt to argue a ticket because I believe they are doing the right thing. What you do is register and post your ticket to Bernie Sez. A traffic lawyer will reach out to you and let you know what he can do for you based on your case. The key is to never admit guilt. What will most likely happen is that you will need to pay a higher fine, but the ticket will not go on your record. The last ticket I paid was $400 with court costs. I was not required to be at the hearing and that was that. Three tickets will skyrocket your insurance costs.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:12 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,859,015 times
Quote:

Story starts here:

You didn't need to drive 88 mph. You did. You got caught.

Just pay the fine. Don't clog up the courts because you think you should get a special exemption from having to obey the law because you think you had a good reason for going 18 mph over the speed limit.

Look, I get it. I do 65 mph on Hwy 100 in St. Louis Park because that's the flow of traffic. Southbound on 35W in Richfield, I kick it up to 65 mph before that speed is first signed just south of the 494 overpass - again, flow of traffic. And south of CR 42 in Burnsville, I'm generally between 70 & 75 mph (where it's signed for 70). But I know the risks and I don't think that somehow I'm deserving of special treatment if I happen to get ticketed (I haven't gotten a ticket in over ten years).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or