U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:04 PM

6,704 posts, read 4,165,907 times

Advertisements

As has been pointed out, a lot of smaller towns on the Iron Range and the North Shore aren't very friendly toward outsiders. They tend to assume you're liberal yuppies from the Twin Cities, and they'll blame you for not being allowed to ride their ATVs and dirt bikes in the Boundary Waters. You, personally. Because you're wearing a North Face vest and LL Bean flannel shirt.

But it's not like that everywhere. Shop around, and you can find some pretty welcoming communities. I gotta put in a vote for Cloquet, which is quite possibly the only town on the planet with a gas station designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 11:18 AM

158 posts, read 974,648 times
I lived in Grand Rapids for 4 years. I did like living there. My family and I were accepted into the community. You have 2 hospital systems to choose from. Grand Itasca and Essentia health out of Deer River. Essentia has a better reputation from other peoples opinions in the area.

Place not mentioned to check out would be, take the Highway 38 drive north to Bigfork-my favorite drive to kill a couple hours. You need to eat at Zorbaz on Pokegama for the "lake" feel. Lunch at Toivo's is great. If you like prime rib or shrimp, Florios in Cohasset is awesome.

I would not consider anything north of Grand Rapids. The iron range is depressing imo. There were a number of factors for us moving. Grand Rapids is nice but we wanted a little more "life" to feel.

Not to throw a wrench in it, but take a glance at Brainerd area. Brained/Baxter is about 20,000 people but has a large amount of amenities you find in larger cities. I live in Merrfield, 10 minutes north of town, feels very rural til I go to town. Very lively area from Memorial to Labor day. Then it slows back down. Next town with 50,000 would be St. Cloud 1 hour away and the you can be in the western suburbs in 1 hr 45 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or