U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 963 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to possibly relocate from San Jose,CA to Minnesota. We have 4 children. We own a condo here but cannot afford to buy a home even with selling the condo. Isn't that awful. So we're just looking at all possible options. We have lived in san jose all our lives. Crime is rising here and our children are being bullied in the public school system and we are just sort of feeling stuck. Here's the tough part we both have decent local government jobs. It's just enough to get by here and maybe a little extra. How do we start over somewhere else? What suburbs are nice in Minnesota to raise a family as far as good schools? How is the job market and how are the prices of homes? I know the winters are cold, what else can I expect being a California transplant. My husband and I visited Minnesota for a Viking Game in October 2009 and really liked it. We were in Eden Prarie, Bloomington, St Paul and Minneapolis ofcourse. Any advice I would greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 02:59 PM

6,459 posts, read 5,933,440 times
I can't answer nearly as well as some other people, but I'll start the discussion. Nearly all the suburbs and school districts in the Twin Cities area rate very highly in various metrics; however, the most desired areas are usually the western suburbs of Minneapolis and South Minneapolis itself. Eden Prairie, Edina, Minnetonka, Wayzata. Aside from Wayzata, those cities are pretty generic suburbs. If you're looking for places with more 'character,' i.e. an old downtown, etc., there are other options.

Unemployment is low and wages are relatively high. Homes are creeping up in price, too. There should be a multitude of options regarding prices/qualities of homes in the nicer suburbs, though.

I don't live in the area anymore, unfortunately, but that's my take.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:13 PM

8,053 posts, read 8,123,200 times
I here from SJ in the early 90's but I don't live in the TC's so I don't know if I can help....

Old 06-03-2015, 04:34 PM

750 posts, read 733,280 times
San Jose is shockingly expensive, especially compared to Minneapolis. You'll be able to get a lot more home for your money here.

I'll leave it to others to answer about good school districts - I don't know much about that topic. My brother is moving to Edina because his fiancé has two young daughters and they're motivated to move where the school system is good. Edina is a wealthy suburb that is somewhat mocked and demeaned (a joke is that the name is an acronym for Every Day I Need Attention).

Assuming you have equity in your San Jose townhome, you and your husband in middle tier government jobs could afford Edina. If you do not have equity, I think two middle-tier government jobs would mean Edina is priced out of your reach.

What kind of community are you looking for? Do you want to be near restaurants, mass transit, in a quiet residential neighborhood. It's hard to give advice without a lot more information.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:06 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,832,574 times
You will have so many options depending on location of jobs, housing budget, and neighborhood preferences -- until we know those, any suggestions are going to be really random. You may even decide that some of the city neighborhoods are right for you; many of the city neighborhoods here are family-friendly with good schools and many are more "suburban" in feel than what you find in some bay area suburbs (although may be out of your price range given that you probably want a larger house with 4 kids). you'll have tons of options, though, assuming you can find comparable jobs here. The job market is decent, although it can be tough (but not impossible) job searching from out state. you could look at the city/state government job listings online to get a sense of what salary range to expect, and then figure out housing budget from there to get an initial idea.

and while commuting isn't nearly as bad as the Bay area, you still presumably wouldn't want to both end up with downtown st. paul jobs and a house in the western Minneapolis 'burbs.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:32 PM

209 posts, read 189,800 times
All I can tell you is at least you'll have more rain here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or