Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 09:21 PM

4 posts, read 15,044 times

Advertisements

I will start a new job in downtown Mpls this summer....

I have been told and have read here to stay away from north Mpls. My question is, how far north is far enough to stay away?

I was told by people employed with this firm that the best commute and a good area / direction to live would be to the north and northwest. Is this true?

I need an area with good schools, low crime, etc...... and can't afford suburbs such as Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, etc. (I'm thinking around $250,000).

I can't see spending 45 minutes each way commuting. Is there a train system for commuting from the burbs?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 06:13 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Roseville is fine, easy commute to MLPS unless you have kids then you might want to find a better school district. South St. Paul would be another option for an easy commute but again, find another district if you have kids. Finding a house for under $250,000 in the twin cities is going to be a challenge.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:40 AM

102 posts, read 622,023 times
The really bad area, North Minneapolis, is just the north half of the city of Minneapolis. Also, the north suburb Brooklyn Center isn't very nice, but not nearly as bad as Minneapolis. If you have kids, definately don't live in the cities of Minneapolis or St. Paul (high crime and bad schools). 250,000 wouldn't get you a house in Maple Grove(my favorite), Plymouth, or Eden Prairie. You could probably get a townhome in one of them though. Maple Gove has tons of townhomes. Try looking in northern Brooklyn Park, Champlin, Coon Rapids or somewhere in that area. It's not too bad, and it's fairly cheap. Also, there is a train that goes to downtown Minneapolis to the airport, to the Mall of America. But, it hardly gets into the suburbs, it's mostly just in Minneapolis. The north suburbs are the cheapest. The western burbs are the most expensive.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:38 AM

4 posts, read 15,044 times
Thanks for the info.........

I have kids - middle school and high school so good school system is a must.

How is the commute from northern Brooklyn Park, Champlin, Coon Rapids or somewhere in that area ?

I have been looking into mass transit and gather that from the burbs there are only busses. Does anyone have experience with commuting using the busses ?

Old 11-12-2006, 03:55 PM

9 posts, read 51,063 times
We were also looking into moving to Minneapolis and found some affordable houses in southern minneapolis - for around $250. We are still considering what to do.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:08 PM

23 posts, read 80,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Roseville is fine, easy commute to MLPS unless you have kids then you might want to find a better school district. South St. Paul would be another option for an easy commute but again, find another district if you have kids. Finding a house for under $250,000 in the twin cities is going to be a challenge.
Ditto on Roseville, it's an excellent location. I am surprised if the schools are considered bad--25 years ago there were ranked around #2 or #3 best district in the state.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:03 PM

131 posts, read 616,108 times
Roseville still has a good school system. The high schools are now combined into one school with two different campuses. A couple of the junior highs and grade schools have closed over the years as the population has gotten a little older. A lot of people I graduated with are moving back there. You may be able to find something for under $300k but under $250k is not as likely. Most of the homes in Roseville were built in the 1950's and 1960's. A few in the 70's. Roseville has the most used county library in the state. http://ramsey.lib.mn.us/ They have about 25 public access computers there and are open 7 days a week. If you're familiar with the city, the library is right next to where it used to be.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:21 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
hey usabeancounter, you ever consider Northeast Minneapolis? If you want to be close to downtown Minneapolis, that is about the easiest commute you can have and it isn't a bad area. My parents have been spoiled to suburbian life for the last 25 years and they checked out Northeast Minneapolis yesterday to look at a house and both were impressed with the area, especially north of Lowry.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:39 PM

153 posts, read 711,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usabeancounter View Post

How is the commute from northern Brooklyn Park, Champlin, Coon Rapids or somewhere in that area ?

I have been looking into mass transit and gather that from the burbs there are only busses. Does anyone have experience with commuting using the busses ?
I would avoid the north side of the twin cities period. The north side suburbs have a reputation for being the "redneck" part of town. Brooklyn Park/Center and North Minneapolis are the biggest places to avoid. If you are going to move to the Twin Cities I would stick to the south and the west sides of town. You should be looking in Maple Grove, Plymouth, Eden Prarie, Bloomington, Burnsville, Apple Valley, Shakopee, etc.

As for housing prices you could easily buy a house for 250k in Plymouth, Apple Valley, Burnsville, Lakeville, or Rosemount. Keep in mind it is a buyers market around here so those trying to sell are worried the prices will drop further. I'd offer 5%-7% less the list price and you'll probably find a great deal.

If you are working downtown I'd stay close to the 494 loop. Though if you are on 35W you'll probably have the easiest commute. (commuting on 394 to downtown SUCKS)

If I were to plug a particular area, I would choose Bloomington or Burnsville. Both have a pretty easy commute downtown, and both have great schools. Bloomington is considerably larger than Burnsville, so choose what you need

Good luck!

Old 12-18-2006, 02:26 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usabeancounter View Post

Also, if you're looking for a good school system and a short commute to downtown Minneapolis you might wanna check out New Brighton. I don't have any factual data to back it up but I've only heard good things about Irondale High School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota