Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 11:02 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times

Advertisements

As far as my knowledge goes the two areas in Minnesota where gays are prevalent are both located in south Minneapolis.

-The area around Loring Park
-Uptown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2006, 08:18 PM

29 posts, read 66,640 times
What is "progressive" about Minneapolis? Sounds like a typical liberal catchphrase which means nothing.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:23 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
Default word

If Minneapolis was really progressive then something would be done about the crazy number of unliveable/abandoned homes on the northside.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:00 PM

102 posts, read 622,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornPaul View Post
What is "progressive" about Minneapolis? Sounds like a typical liberal catchphrase which means nothing.
Right on the money, Texas.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:43 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
Quote:
And as for "Minnesota nice" - is this the image of being friendly to strangers? I notice it in WI and MN too. I like the idea of it but we do also want to make lots of friends too, not just say hello and leave it at that!
As someone who moved to Minnesota from overseas, I would describe Minnesota Nice as the habit of saying what they think you want to hear, rather than being 100% honest with you. Eg; one of the biggest problems I had was with people agreeing to do something with me and then making endless excuses as to why they couldn't or flat out failing to turn up and then calling afterwards with a really lame reason why they didn't show up. HOWEVER, not everyone is like that there. There are also plenty of people who are honest and blunt and who won't waste your time - the trick is to find them .

Old 12-16-2007, 08:02 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,831,524 times
Hi Citygals, see my post in which "I berate you" in my response to "best places for biracial family". you may want to check up around where we are at, easy access to everything including universities and a lot of social services - actually a lot of persons that work in the social services and a lot of GLBT homeowners live in the Camden area so you'd fit right in- perhaps even be a little cliche (lol) as opposed to the exotic fruit you'd be in most of the suburbs mentioned here.

good website to jobsearch - http://www.mncn.org/jobs/ - virtually all non-profit jobs get posted on this site. in the C-D 'minnesota' forum (e.g. not the 'minneapolis/ st. paul' forum), you've probably gotten a lot of advice to move to the far out suburbs, but if you've been living in Chicago area, minneapolis will feel more like a small town w/ good schools to you - what's the need for a suburb?

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 12-16-2007 at 08:25 PM..

Old 12-17-2007, 05:30 AM

175 posts, read 731,270 times
South Minneapolis is a good place for a gay family.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:50 PM

6 posts, read 16,064 times
Sounds like you would like the Seward area which is around Franklin near the Mississippi river or maybe Longfellow just south of Franklin. Most neighborhoods in the city are gay friendly and that area has a lot of artists, teachers and coops. The Birchwood cafe is also in that neighborhood.

Housing is fairly expensive in the city - $250,000 is a good ball park figure. St Paul is definitely less expensive, but not as much fun as Minneapolis.

As far as crime goes..............I used to live in Boston and there are very few areas in this city that begin to compare to other cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygals View Post
Hi,
We are considering a move to the Twin Cities area and we are also planning on having kids asap. We are from Chicago so we are used to some crime (don't like it) and other less appealing things about cities, but are looking for a less stressful and quieter life. Some friends we have live in Mnpls on the south side and also some near the airport. None of them mentioned crime although some of the neighborhoods south of Lake reminded us a bit of Chicago - construction, lots of neon signs, run down stores. We would consider the suburbs if necessary and also St. Paul too which seems a little more affordable. What is all this about district 196 schools? Where is that?
We would be looking for jobs in social services and in the universities. One of the things that appeals to us is the diversity of this area, the cool stuff like coops and farmers markets and the focus on being eco friendly. Is the crime in the cities really terrible? I would have to be a lot less than in Chicago I guess.
I know people who live in the suburbs near Chicago talk about the crime a lot but I guess we are just used to. It doesn't make life any more relaxing though.
We are looking for a house with a yard for our dogs in the lowest price range - I have seen some people talking about prices already and gather you can't get anything decent for less than $250.
Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks!
PS. And as for "Minnesota nice" - is this the image of being friendly to strangers? I notice it in WI and MN too. I like the idea of it but we do also want to make lots of friends too, not just say hello and leave it at that!

Last edited by golfgal; 12-25-2007 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: no ads

Old 12-24-2007, 06:04 AM

7 posts, read 20,005 times
There are several great neighborhoods in the uptown area. Linden Hills is quaint and has it's own little village. Off the beat, yet close to the pulse of uptown.
Re: 250??? that's a challenge.

Last edited by golfgal; 12-25-2007 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: no ads

Old 01-11-2008, 06:09 AM

36 posts, read 99,440 times
Seems like Apple Valley has changed a LOT since I lived there 25 years ago. I remember public service citations for clearing weirdos out of the parks up there.

Thanks for the imput, I was considering buying a lake home up there but it sounds like I need to consider my options more carefully
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota