Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 07:59 PM

9 posts, read 50,829 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are considering a move to the Twin Cities area and we are also planning on having kids asap. We are from Chicago so we are used to some crime (don't like it) and other less appealing things about cities, but are looking for a less stressful and quieter life. Some friends we have live in Mnpls on the south side and also some near the airport. None of them mentioned crime although some of the neighborhoods south of Lake reminded us a bit of Chicago - construction, lots of neon signs, run down stores. We would consider the suburbs if necessary and also St. Paul too which seems a little more affordable. What is all this about district 196 schools? Where is that?
We would be looking for jobs in social services and in the universities. One of the things that appeals to us is the diversity of this area, the cool stuff like coops and farmers markets and the focus on being eco friendly. Is the crime in the cities really terrible? I would have to be a lot less than in Chicago I guess.
I know people who live in the suburbs near Chicago talk about the crime a lot but I guess we are just used to. It doesn't make life any more relaxing though.
We are looking for a house with a yard for our dogs in the lowest price range - I have seen some people talking about prices already and gather you can't get anything decent for less than $250.
Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks!
PS. And as for "Minnesota nice" - is this the image of being friendly to strangers? I notice it in WI and MN too. I like the idea of it but we do also want to make lots of friends too, not just say hello and leave it at that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2006, 11:15 PM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,173,946 times
Default Moving to the cities

District 196 schools are Apple Valley/Rosemount. Both district 194 (Lakeville, where we live) and 196 are awesome. They've struck an awesome balance between sports, academics, and the arts. We have our daughter in the 194 district specifically because they have the best autism program in the state.

I don't think you'll have any trouble finding acceptance here. We are the most progressive area in the midwest. You can find great homes around here (Lakeville, Apple Valley, Rosemount) for under $250,000. In fact, I just had a lady call me today and she wants to list her home in Lakeville. It'll come on the market for about $245,000 - 3 bedroom/3 bath, 2400sq ft, beautiful home, just a little dated (early 90's construction). That kind of stuff comes on the market about every week, and it usually lasts for 45-60 days.

Oh well, I'm getting off the topic here - you'll love it and you'll be comfortable.

All the best with your move,

Robert

Old 11-18-2006, 11:20 PM

Default Greenies

Oh, and the farmers markets around here rock! During the summer, we do 75% of our shopping at these places. Every town has a regular market, but the ones in the cities are phenomenal.

I'm teaching a class on green construction and environmental standards (my masters is in environmental science/biology) to people in the housing market this winter. It is a movement that is really catching on here. Many of the homes I've sold in the cities have dedicated composting space in the backyard, a substantial garden, rain gardens for runoff water retention, and solar water heaters affixed to the roofs. People around here take it seriously, and I'm obliged to assist them. When we build our home in the next few years, I'm thinking strawbale construction. There's a growing movement out here for that.

OK - this time I'm going to bed...

Robert

Last edited by Robert P Stewart; 11-18-2006 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: speling

Old 11-19-2006, 01:20 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,897,013 times
Talking citygals--you beat us to the punch

We're an openly gay couple as well, and we were thinking of moving to MSP. We are also concidering ABQ, but the crime is drastically climbing concidering it is a small metro city, sad. Look at HRC.org of you haven't. It's very informative. MSP has always been in the progressive spotlight in a silent way.

Check out these sites if you haven't:
lavendermagazine.com
gaympls.com
glbtminneapolis.org

I hope those sites help. If you or any other forum readers have any info about MSP or other areas for a gay couple and soon to be family, please let us know. All your info will be greatly appreciated.

cheers and aloha....Greg and Brian.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:49 AM

Default Gay in the Cities...

I've actually been trying to figure out an area in the Twin Cities that *wouldn't* be a very good choice. In the Twin Cities area, I think you're going to have to work to find a place that isn't tolerant. And now that I just wrote that, I think I found a new reason to love this area.

I participate in a lot of civic and social events, and I cannot recall the last time someone's sexual orientation was an issue.

I'm not sure I like the word tolerance either - because it means that something needs to be tolerated. It is what it is, whether we tolerate it or not... My brain hurts, I'm going to work.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:43 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,897,013 times
Talking Thank you...

Thank you, Robert! It's great to hear your comments. As for Greg and myself, we are still studying two other cities. But, once again, thank you for your comment and would seriously take it in concideration for our final decision.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:11 AM

9 posts, read 50,829 times
Cool gay friendly Twin Cities

Yes, it's great to hear such good things about the Twin Cities. We'll keep you all posted. Good luck to Brikag in your search for Home Sweet Home!

Old 11-24-2006, 09:09 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,904,573 times
I can't think of any area in the metro where you won't be accepted.

I can also say you will get really cold here!

Old 11-25-2006, 07:41 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,497,531 times
Uptown in Minneapolis

Old 11-27-2006, 09:58 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,766 posts, read 4,120,062 times
Default Why not...

San Francisco ??? Not a bad little town for gays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota