Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 07:51 AM

210 posts, read 285,840 times

Advertisements

I welcome clouds in the middle of the summer. That sun can get pretty hot and it's hard to find any shade without trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 01:12 PM

12 posts, read 12,152 times
My parents used to escape the Minnesota winter for four months a year going some years to Arizona and some years to Florida. It made Minnesota seem like the best place in the world when they returned in late April because they missed the long cold bleak winter.

The neighborhoods in Mesa Arizona were full of snow birds from Minnesota. They all loved the escape.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:54 PM

219 posts, read 570,721 times
I think our next move will be to head south. Desert southwest would be nice. Would also consider Florida.
We left Minnesota for northeast Ohio due to family interests. But if the children were to leave Ohio at some point, we would be looking for more sunshine and warmer temperatures.
We've had our fill or winters. We've paid our dues.
Climate is a high priority in our next move, and neither Minnesota nor Ohio make the cut.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:59 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
Without fully knowing where I stand on the issue, I'll say this. Since becoming a first time dad, I can already anticipate that when I retire, despite a longing for full time sun, proximity to family (children, grandchildren) will always trump out other criteria for me.

My dad also reminded me that if you do dislike the long cold/dreary season in MN, it will only be heightened when you have every day off. Not to get all economics 101 on everyone, but your opportunity cost switches from going to work, to playing golf/going to the beach/hiking, etc. In other words, on a crappy weather day once retired, what you are missing out on is greater than when you worked.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:26 PM

162 posts, read 212,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick St John View Post
I think our next move will be to head south. Desert southwest would be nice. Would also consider Florida.
We left Minnesota for northeast Ohio due to family interests. But if the children were to leave Ohio at some point, we would be looking for more sunshine and warmer temperatures.
We've had our fill or winters. We've paid our dues.
Climate is a high priority in our next move, and neither Minnesota nor Ohio make the cut.
We are feeling the same way as you! There is no way I am going through winters once retired, heck maybe even before that If the kids still reside in MN snowbirds for sure.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:06 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,023 times
Wont snowbirds look silly once Global Warming kicks in and Minnesota becomes The Destination of sunbirds, those looking for relief from massive heat, eroding beaches and flooding coastal towns..

Pina Colada or Margarita anyone?

Old 03-26-2016, 10:47 AM

162 posts, read 212,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Wont snowbirds look silly once Global Warming kicks in and Minnesota becomes The Destination of sunbirds, those looking for relief from massive heat, eroding beaches and flooding coastal towns..

Pina Colada or Margarita anyone?

Haha yes both please!!! In all honesty though I think I have about 6 winters left in me

Old 08-24-2016, 12:21 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,052 times
I have 3 Minnesota winters left to go after spending my whole lifetime in Minnesota. When I retire, I only want to see the snow and cold in Minnesota on the national TV news while I enjoy the warm weather in my snowbird location. Another reason to become a snowbird is to avoid paying the Minnesota state income tax. However, you have to be away from Minnesota more than half the year, plus they have 26 other factors, like mail delivery, vehicle regristration, gym membership, and many other factors. I need to do a lot more research how to avoid the Minnesota state income taxes when I become a snowbird.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:14 PM

68 posts, read 94,850 times
I think a lot of the snow and cold wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have to get up and go to work every day. No need to shovel or snow blow. No traffic or any of that.

My uncle retired up north and loves it. Sometimes they don't even clear the driveway for a day or two because they don't need to go anywhere.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:56 PM

210 posts, read 285,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SForMNLee View Post
I think a lot of the snow and cold wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have to get up and go to work every day. No need to shovel or snow blow. No traffic or any of that.

My uncle retired up north and loves it. Sometimes they don't even clear the driveway for a day or two because they don't need to go anywhere.
That would make a huge difference. No reason to have to rush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota