U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 10:20 PM

6 posts, read 3,965 times

Advertisements

I was driving on highway 53 heading to Chisholm for drills for the national guard. The speed litmit is 70mph and I was driving a bit faster cause I was about to late. The state patrol pulled me over( I don't know if he doesn't like service member bacause a lot of car was passing me across him but literally I just passed him and he started following and pulled me over)and asked me do I know why he pulled me over? I was honest and this is my first time got pulled over so I didn't have any experiences for this situation. I told him that it might because I was speeding? He told me I was driving 78 in 70 zone and asked me did I get any tickets before? I told him "No, Sir" and said I'm heading to Chisholm for drills and I was wearing my uniform also. He took my driver license and a bit later he came back to my car with a ticket with a citation. he told me to call the number at the back of the ticket for my citation information. I was in hurry so I just make everything go through as fast as I can. now I got the ticket but I'm wodering if is it a fine ticket or not? or if it is, is there anyway can I ask for a warning instead of a speeding ticket, this is my first time got pulled over and didn't even have a warning before? I really don't want it gonna go to my Dl

Last edited by phat215; 04-29-2016 at 10:43 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 10:48 PM

5,582 posts, read 2,034,242 times
Last time I was on 53 (6 months or so) the speed limit was 65. It is 55 between Eveleth and Virginia.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:12 PM

I can't actually remember the highway but i remember for sure the speed limit was 70 and it is also written i the ticket that I was speeding 78 in 70 zone

Old 04-30-2016, 10:56 AM

10,194 posts, read 7,968,093 times
Have you called the number? Sounds like you got caught for speeding, which is accurate, and you have a ticket.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:12 AM

1,138 posts, read 818,734 times
Next time ask for a warning before he goes back to his cruiser with your ID. It's too late now. This is how smaller towns made their quotas and bring in the cash. I noticed they don.t hang around to chit chat like yesteryear when you could reason with the cop. Try to "stay with the pack" so you don.t get singled out again. Slow down: 70 mph is generous. Your ticket may more $ then you think so brace yourself and call the number. I think u can also look online to see what the fine is. In the metro they are about $135 for an illegal left turn. I was floored. Don.t bother arguing a speeding ticket. Welcome to life!

Old 04-30-2016, 12:40 PM

291 posts, read 217,325 times
Try to get a continuance for dismissal. I did that last year after getting a speeding ticket up north. Costs more but keeps it off your insurance.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:34 PM

210 posts, read 228,831 times
I read somewhere that if it's not more than 10 mph over the limit that it doesn't go on your record.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:56 PM

yep I've read that too. But I'm not sure about that. I searched on GG and it said in MN the fine is $145 for speeding over 15mph the speed limit. It's unfortunate but hopefully its not gonna get in my DL

Old 04-30-2016, 11:37 PM

617 posts, read 587,369 times
The 10 mph rule ONLY goes into effect in a 55 mph zone. I think it had something to do with the energy crisis during the 1970's when all speed limits were lowered to a max of 55. Anyways, over the last several years most 55 mph zones have been slowly disappearing, so this loop hole is rarely in effect any more.

If it was a warning ticket, it would have said warning on it and you wouldn't have to call any number.

If you want to keep it off of your record you need to call the number on the ticket and set up a court date. Then you need to go to court and ask if there's anything they can do to help keep it off of your driving record. Most courts will offer a "continuance for dismissal" deal like King Harold was talking about, especially if you have a clean record like you do. It's not guaranteed, but it is worth a shot.

What it usually means is they will ask you to pay whatever the fine was supposed to be in addition to some extra court fees. In exchange for that deal you will agree to not accrue any similar moving violations for one year. If you make it a year without getting any more tickets then it will never go on your record and no one will ever know about it. If you do get another ticket it will go on your record, along with the new ticket.

I don't know what the entire situation was, but please allow me to say THANK YOU for your service to our country. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2016, 12:37 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,846,613 times
The date may well be significant - I'm not an expert on local police districts, but monthly quota systems at least used to be common.

You may well have just wandered into a cop who would've given you a warning earlier in the month, but needed the citation to try and hit a quota before month's end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota