Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 09:10 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times

Advertisements

Help please. To make a long story short my niece lives in Wisconsin but went to college in Minnesota. She filed her federal taxes while in college with her Wisconsin address and received a federal tax refund each year ranging from $3 to $100. Due to a misunderstanding/miscommunication she thought that did not have to file state taxes as a college student as her income was so low. So she did not file state taxes for 2010 to now.

Now she is graduated and absolutely panicked that she will have huge fines or get hauled off to jail or fail an upcoming federal security clearance or all three. She is especially worried about the security clearance as it will done by the FBI.

She has all of the information from those tax years but is unclear what to do now. She is worried that if she calls the state government it will be worse as she could get into even more trouble. She asked for my advice and I am asking you.

Does anyone know the best way to proceed? Thank you.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-08-2016 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 09:33 AM

540 posts, read 1,096,860 times
Talk an accountant or tax attorney. Most reputable ones will give a free consultation to go over your situation.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:29 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
I would agree that she should get an accountant to file her back returns ASAP. There may be a penalty or interest due if she owes the state money but better to file them voluntarily than have them come after her. Jail is out of the question but these sorts of things can interfere with landing a good job, especially in finance, if they're not taken care of.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:29 PM

810 posts, read 852,020 times
doesn't it depend on how much money you make? If it is less than X amount you don't have to file?

Good luck. I hope you don't have to pay fines. We had some problems in the past with our state tax :-(

Old 06-13-2016, 01:58 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Enrolled agent might be cheaper than an accountant, and likely more effective. They'll also likely be more help if it comes to negotiating any penalties.

Interest on a negligible amount owed won't be that big a deal in the scheme of things, but penalties could hurt.

But agree with hockeygirl, the first question is whether she owed enough to even be required to file.

Not that, even if she wasn't required to file, she might still choose to if she was owed a return, though typically as I understand most states only let you file 3 years back if doing so was optional.

Definitely don't panic, but either do the research her/yourself, or get someone like an enrolled agent who works in that state to dig into it for you.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:01 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Help please. To make a long story short my niece lives in Wisconsin but went to college in Minnesota. She filed her federal taxes while in college with her Wisconsin address and received a federal tax refund each year ranging from $3 to $100. Due to a misunderstanding/miscommunication she thought that did not have to file state taxes as a college student as her income was so low. So she did not file state taxes for 2010 to now.

Now she is graduated and absolutely panicked that she will have huge fines or get hauled off to jail or fail an upcoming federal security clearance or all three. She is especially worried about the security clearance as it will done by the FBI.

She has all of the information from those tax years but is unclear what to do now. She is worried that if she calls the state government it will be worse as she could get into even more trouble. She asked for my advice and I am asking you.

Does anyone know the best way to proceed? Thank you.
The other respondents missed the point.

It is not required to file income tax forms if no payment is due.

Federal and State governments are only concerned with tax evasion and have no problem with those who don't request a refund.

Your niece should prepare the missing tax filings, to verify no payment was due, and keep these with her past/future filings for a record.

Yes, I have opted out of filing both MN state and US Federal returns when in college.

When one's gross taxable income is below the standard deduction and the claimed deductions on the W-2 Wage and Tax Statement guarantee a minimal refund. Filing is comical; just to get the miniscule refund check.

My smallest State refund: $0.65; My smallest Federal refund: $11.00 (I preferred to get the most $$ from each paycheck and still not owe anything).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota