Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 12:27 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,601,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
The thing about the winter is, you can either lock yourself inside and sit, or you can embrace it. There is something of a culture that has come up around winter in MN; ice fishing, cross country skiing, hockey, people bike, etc in addition to indoor sports like basketball and whatnot...It sounds strange but I really miss ice fishing living in the south. The winters in NC seem rather blah to me, gray and muddy.
Dont forget surfing in the coldest of winter storms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 12:03 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
Dont forget surfing in the coldest of winter storms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ_iatxMNLM

w00t! :-)

Old 12-28-2016, 07:38 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,843 times
Did the OP ever move up here to the frozen tundra? Winter started a little later this year (though I have seen it snow as early as mid-September and the last mid-May). 5-6 months of winter is not an exaggeration.

I noticed that humidity is one of your factors... MN is humid, just maybe not as much as Florida. Las Vegas and parts of Wyoming are far drier.

I guess since I've been dealing with MN winters for nearly 46 years, the longing for warmer, sunnier climates (not 40 days straight of grey skies -yes that happens here too in the winter) is happening more frequently. If the school systems weren't so horrid down there (I teach) I would consider a move.

Good luck if you do move. Dress warmly! Oh and on a side note, very few counties went for Trump- the high cost of Obamacare and taxes in this state have driven most people to be fed up with the liberal mantras.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:02 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Did the OP ever move up here to the frozen tundra? Winter started a little later this year (though I have seen it snow as early as mid-September and the last mid-May). 5-6 months of winter is not an exaggeration.

I noticed that humidity is one of your factors... MN is humid, just maybe not as much as Florida. Las Vegas and parts of Wyoming are far drier.

I guess since I've been dealing with MN winters for nearly 46 years, the longing for warmer, sunnier climates (not 40 days straight of grey skies -yes that happens here too in the winter) is happening more frequently. If the school systems weren't so horrid down there (I teach) I would consider a move.

Good luck if you do move. Dress warmly! Oh and on a side note, very few counties went for Trump- the high cost of Obamacare and taxes in this state have driven most people to be fed up with the liberal mantras.

Biggest exaggeration in the history of the world

Old 12-30-2016, 02:26 PM

210 posts, read 286,015 times
I'd say 5 - 6 months isn't an exaggeration. In southern MN it's generally Nov. through March and northern MN can start mid Oct. and last until mid April. That's a typical winter. Of course there is always the atypical.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:09 PM

60 posts, read 134,082 times
I wish it was an exaggeration, maybe people who enjoy the snow don't feel how long it sticks around in MN, but here in Duluth, it starts in November, and usually ends mid to end of April, biggest drawback I found since living here... Isolation, you can't have much of a social life if you don't do winter activities, and many don't!

Old 12-31-2016, 06:57 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn shutterbug View Post
I'd say 5 - 6 months isn't an exaggeration. In southern MN it's generally Nov. through March and northern MN can start mid Oct. and last until mid April. That's a typical winter. Of course there is always the atypical.
Exactly... unless you live here, and not in California, you cannot judge the winters in Minnesota.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:43 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Exactly... unless you live here, and not in California, you cannot judge the winters in Minnesota.
Hey, I'm judging your winters! They are cold!

I drove up last year to get some Zone 4 bushes. Yes, Des Moines is in Zone 5 but with the cold snaps in the last few years, it pays to have some Zone 4 greenery so not everything dies.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:36 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Originally from the north east now residing in SW FL and agree 100% o/p!! Most of the year the heat and humidity is very oppressive. In the north east during winter you can layer up, put on warm boots and be comfortable. You cant go around SW FL buck naked and that wouldn't even help.

Trying to convince hubby, who loves the heat, to move the hell out of here.

If you move to MN, good luck to you.

I would take cold and snow hands down over heat and humidity.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:56 PM

258 posts, read 234,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
No one needs 10 months of summer, either.

6 months of winter? Winter is not "any month where it snows for a day." April is not winter in Minnesota.. November either. There's only 3 solid months of winter and parts of other months where it is cold but still reaches above freezing. If anything, Minnesota has a perfect balance of seasons with a slight bias towards cold. Go to upper Canada if you want "6 months of winter."
OMG are you in for a surprise. Try it for a year or 2 before you downplay it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota