Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Minnesota north of St. Cloud split into a different state?
Yes 3 6.98%
No 40 93.02%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 09:58 AM

210 posts, read 285,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
This is the stupidest reason I've ever heard for a state splitting up. I've heard some dumb reasons like "political differences" but.. because one area is colder?
I couldn't agree more. I recently bought a cabin about 20 miles north of Park Rapids, which is even farther north than Nimrod, and I'm considering going back in about a week, but with the forecast highs of around 90 degrees and no AC in the cabin, I may rethink my plans. Yep, really cold in the summer. DUMB!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 10:13 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Yup, I'll just hang out at the Capital, it's only 9 miles from me.

make sure your route to the new capitol building isn't blocked by a protestor who left his ice fishing bucket in the middle of the road

Old 07-13-2016, 11:17 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato2 View Post
I saw a post on Reddit talking about northern Minnesota being its own state. Seemed kind of interesting.
I guess there is a point. Northern Minnesota is simply too cold, even in the summer. Minneapolis and St. Paul have a different enough climate from northern Minnesota and should not get dragged into this "nation's icebox" stereotype. Sure, Minneapolis and St. Paul still have cold winters but not comparable to northern Minnesota. Some people perhaps in Minneapolis-St. Paul and southern Minnesota don't want to be associated with the "nation's icebox" stereotype either.

What do you think? Should northern Minnesota and southern Minnesota split off into two states?

http://www.reddit.com/r/minnesota/co...cloud_perhaps/
Georgia is no different. The areas by the coast like Savannah with their Spanish-moss-covered trees have nothing in common at all with the northern part of the state which is all large pine-covered hills that actually get snow in the wintertime.

States are large. Some are homogeneous in terms of history and climate, but most are not.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:37 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
make sure your route to the new capitol building isn't blocked by a protestor who left his ice fishing bucket in the middle of the road
Its alright, I'll just pick that up and say thank you very much.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:48 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn shutterbug View Post
I couldn't agree more. I recently bought a cabin about 20 miles north of Park Rapids, which is even farther north than Nimrod, and I'm considering going back in about a week, but with the forecast highs of around 90 degrees and no AC in the cabin, I may rethink my plans. Yep, really cold in the summer. DUMB!
I plan to go camping in Boundary Waters one year during summer. Hope it's cool enough at night to sleep! Lord knows camping in Texas in summer ain't a walk in the park!

God I miss Minnesota, though. What I'd do to be back up there!!

Old 07-15-2016, 08:18 PM

125 posts, read 173,774 times
If Minnesota north of St. Cloud split up, let's make the border an extension of North Dakota-South Dakota state line. Extends and fits as a border perfectly to be honest. This northern state will be called "American Siberia" and Duluth will be its capital. It will be the coldest state in the United States and will truly have the reputation for extreme cold weather.

Last edited by Yamato2; 07-15-2016 at 08:47 PM..

Old 07-16-2016, 03:57 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato2 View Post
If Minnesota north of St. Cloud split up, let's make the border an extension of North Dakota-South Dakota state line. Extends and fits as a border perfectly to be honest. This northern state will be called "American Siberia" and Duluth will be its capital. It will be the coldest state in the United States and will truly have the reputation for extreme cold weather.
Alaska is way colder and already practically touches Siberia...that the best you can do?

Old 07-16-2016, 08:19 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
You could also draw a line from Roseau to Thief River Falls to Mahnomen to Detroit Lakes to Fergus Falls and then go west to Breckenridge and all west of there be annexed into North Dakota as that is approx the tree-prairie line.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:38 AM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
You could also draw a line from Roseau to Thief River Falls to Mahnomen to Detroit Lakes to Fergus Falls and then go west to Breckenridge and all west of there be annexed into North Dakota as that is approx the tree-prairie line.
So then it'll be the first time in its history that ND's population actually rose a little?!?!

Old 07-31-2016, 06:10 AM

48 posts, read 162,006 times
The geographic diversity that is Minnesota has long been considered one of the great attractions for residents and visitors to the state. The most commonly defined regions are the Twin Cities, the St. Croix River Valley, the Arrowhead, the Central Lakes area, the Red River Valley, Prairie land, and Bluff Country.
 Author John Torn wrote a book titled The Seven States of Minnesota describing driving tours through these seven district areas of the state.

Minnesota Regions - The Seven States of Minnesota
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota