U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2016, 02:13 PM

54 posts, read 170,926 times

Advertisements

Hello all, im possibly going to be relocating from here in Phoenix to a job located in Sauk Centre.

After some research it seemed like Sauk Centre wouldnt be a good bet to live in so within a 30 minute drive radius i came upon the city Alexandria and my wife/I seem to like it. Looks to be probably the best option as far as size wise and also the close community vibe ive notice from reaching as much as i could about this city.

Can i get any opinions on Alexandria from anyone out here? Im moving with my 20 month old and i really want to find a kid friendly city that she would be proud to grow up in and be involved in activities/etc. Its really hard to get that in phoenix.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 02:55 AM

23 posts, read 22,819 times
Alexandria is a very nice small town. It has a good school system, strong and diversified economic base and great outdoors options (a chain of excellent recreational lakes in the immediate area for boating/fishing, the 70 mile central lakes state trail for biking, and close proximity to Lake Carlos and Glacial Lakes State Parks for hiking and nature). The city has all of the standard options that you would expect for retailing and dining (Though I personally feel that the food options are rather limited compared to other towns of the size).

All in all I would recommend Alexandria as long as you are comfortable with small city living-the entire county only has 37,000 people in it. If you need a bigger city then St. Cloud or one of its surrounding communities is going to be your best bet since that area has about 160,000 people and many more options for retail, dining, schools, healthcare etc...

Old 07-19-2016, 05:31 AM

4,818 posts, read 9,958,605 times
Hi I have been through the Alexandria area many times on the trip from Grand Forks to the Twin Cities. Also I have lived in the area for nearly 20 years and know a fair amount of the region. That said I specifically outside of visting I haven't lived there.

But I also liked Alexandria...it is a nice town. It is ideally situated near lots of lakes and also there is a ski and tubing hill just west of town (Andes Tower). So there are plenty of boating, fishing and water activities in the area. It is 100 miles to Fargo and about 100 miles to the NW edge of the Twin Cities (Maple Grove, Rogers). So overall a great location.

Here is a live streaming webcam in downtown Alexandria showing the viking Ole

ALP Utilities - Camera

And one from Alexandria Area High school

https://www.wunderground.com/webcams...show.html?MR=1

Alexandria is usually quite a bit colder than the Twin Cities.... a bit closer to Fargo than TC in terms of winter temps. But the trees and hills to help with blowing snow unlike areas just west.

Dan

Old 07-19-2016, 03:09 PM

54 posts, read 170,926 times
Awesome! i really appreciate the replies guys, glad to hear additional good things about this place

Old 07-19-2016, 06:28 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,071,972 times
My daughter got married and lived in Sauk Centre and really liked it.
They both were employed in Alexandria and didn't want to move due to really liking their neighborhood, church, and especially the Sauk Centre schools.
They moved to Alexandria two years ago and state it was a great decision . They really like Alexandria.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:04 PM

3 posts, read 1,587 times
Did you end up moving to Alexandria? If so, how do you like it?

I'm also considering a move there from a much bigger city and am nervous about how conservative Christian the town seems - we are not conservative or Christian. Also wondering about the amenities we'd lose moving from a larger city.

We also have a little one - just about a year old. Did you find a good community for your child?

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2018, 01:44 AM

779 posts, read 316,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seastar206 View Post
Did you end up moving to Alexandria? If so, how do you like it?

I'm also considering a move there from a much bigger city and am nervous about how conservative Christian the town seems - we are not conservative or Christian. Also wondering about the amenities we'd lose moving from a larger city.

We also have a little one - just about a year old. Did you find a good community for your child?

Thanks!
I'm guessing he didn't. Looks like OP is posting in AZ forums.

Alexandria is rural, isolated, dependant on tourism largely and conservative. Depending on where you are from, this might not be a culture shock. Or it might be extreme.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:43 PM

946 posts, read 682,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
I'm guessing he didn't. Looks like OP is posting in AZ forums.

Alexandria is rural, isolated, dependant on tourism largely and conservative. Depending on where you are from, this might not be a culture shock. Or it might be extreme.
Alex is rural? No more rural than Mankato, Brainerd or the FM area.
Isolated? I-94 runs right by Alex.
Depends on tourism. No, it is a self sustaining city. Tourism does contribute to the economy.
Conservative? You better believe it.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 556 times
Thumbs up Alexandria living

Today's date is July 17, 2018.

I am late to this thread but wanted to add to it.

I lived in Alexandria for three years during high school, back in the '60s. I have friends and relatives living there and visit as often as I can. In fact, I just got back from there two days ago.

I would not call it conservative, at least not politically. Minnesota is a very liberal state and finding conservatives can be challenging. There are more in the outlying areas than in the Twin Cities, but the folks I know in Alexandria are mostly Democrats. But politics isn't discussed much in my circle.

It was a wonderful place to live during my high school years. I had never lived in a small town and I just loved it. You can walk to almost everything (except places on most of the lakes), and we did a lot of that. There are at least two lakes near downtown, and very good walking and biking paths. The downtown is big enough to have a wide variety of retail stores, and there are plenty of restaurants both downtown and in the outer areas on the main streets. They range from comfy hole-in-the-wall coffee shops and bars to very sophisticated dining places.

The town is about 13-14,000 people, although it increases in summer due to tourism and summer residents. There is an excellent hospital, good medical clinics, and several well-maintained senior residences. The larger city of St. Cloud, with more medical facilities and hospitals, is only an hour away. And of course there is the Mayo Clinic in the city of Rochester, MN.

The old high school has recently been torn down and replaced with an area school that has state-of-the-art classrooms and facilities, including security.

Some of the members of my graduating class have stayed, and made a good living there. What I find interesting, and worthwhile for me, is that as our class has reached retirement age, a large number of them have returned to live out the rest of their lives in Alex.

It is surrounded by lakes, with many resorts for all income brackets, and lots of the town residents live on a lake. It is a very welcoming community. The people are friendly, outgoing, and always willing to help. The crime is very low.

The weather is typical Minnesota, long cold winters and, usually, delightful summer weather. There is plenty of rainfall for your garden, but it's no Seattle!

I would highly recommend Alexandria as a place to live and raise a family, if a REAL winter is not an impediment to you.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:23 PM

290 posts, read 631,951 times
Muskwa has a great post on Alexandria. In addition to the 14,000 population quote given, keep in mind that Alexandria has doubled their population in less than 25-years from the 7,000 residents they had in the mid 1990's.

Muskwa also mentioned the really good hospital and the new Alexandria High School which is a beautiful state of the art facility. 3M has been there for years, and a lot of assembly and manufacturing facilities have been built recently providing real jobs.

Alexandria Community and Technical College is regarded as one of the best in the state, particularly in construction trades and law enforcement. The new YMCA on the northwest side of town is wonderful.

Since Alexandria is in "Cabin Country" just like nearby Fergus Falls, weekend and summer tourists are a big part of the economy in both communities, they both rely more heavily on other industries as well.

I' ve found most people don't wear politics on their sleeves. Conversation topics are more likely to be about how they are improving their lake shore property or events at the college or the Douglas County Fairgrounds than political issues. Alexandria is in the 7th Congressional District, represented by Democrat Collin Peterson for well over 30-years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota