Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 8,888 times

Advertisements

Hi. I currently live (and have all my life) in North Dakota but will be relocating to Rochester in just a couple of weeks to start a position with Mayo. Unfortunately I do not know anyone in the area and was wondering if anyone can give me any suggestions on areas to live, and/or areas to stay away from. I will need to rent and probably the MAX that I could do is $800, so not a lot to work with. I also have a small dog that is 5 pounds.
I am not good with directions either, is Rochester easy to get around in? Anyone know of a good GPS system?
Any information you could give me would be VERY helpful as I am not familiar with the area, whatsoever. Places to eat; places to shop; places to live?
Thank you so much for your time!
LLG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 09:19 AM

21 posts, read 61,479 times
north of town is the newer developments. southeast can be rough. southwest is another good area. easy town to get around in. i use nuvi gps-advise you to spend the extra money and get voice to text. beautiful area southeast of rochester for bicyling, river tubing and trout fishing. rochester is my favorite town in mn although i've never lived there but have visited frequently.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:49 AM

284 posts, read 1,657,164 times
I'm not super familiar with Rochester, but did consider a position at Mayo last year so did some research. Why not live near Mayo? You can walk and they have buses that run all around the Mayo campus and to St. Mary's, etc. I don't know of any specific apartment complexes, but there is a craigslist site for Rochester (rmn.craigslist.org) so that's a great place to start. I took a look and there are several apartments listed for under $800.

Regarding GPS, just my opinion, but if you rely to heavily on that to tell you where to go you'll never figure it out yourself. The best way to learn a new city is just get in the car and drive (with a map, just in case!). Rochester is not that big so you'll never get totally lost.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:30 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,101 times
Here are a couple of dog friendly apartments:

Apartment Rental and Hotel Directory accepting Dogs, Cats and Other Pets

I'm sure there are a few more, just not listed on this website.

Overall Rochester isn't bad. The SE gets a bad rap for the area that is closer to downtown. I live in SE by the Mayo High School and it's a good neighborhood. Good luck and welcome to Rochester

Old 02-26-2008, 07:49 PM

30 posts, read 97,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbeet View Post
I'm not super familiar with Rochester, but did consider a position at Mayo last year so did some research. Why not live near Mayo? You can walk and they have buses that run all around the Mayo campus and to St. Mary's, etc. I don't know of any specific apartment complexes, but there is a craigslist site for Rochester (rmn.craigslist.org) so that's a great place to start. I took a look and there are several apartments listed for under $800.

Regarding GPS, just my opinion, but if you rely to heavily on that to tell you where to go you'll never figure it out yourself. The best way to learn a new city is just get in the car and drive (with a map, just in case!). Rochester is not that big so you'll never get totally lost.
You can live near Mayo but, like everywhere else, you get what you pay. There are a couple of streets between SMH and downtown are quite dangerous. So, if you happen to find a two-bedroom for $500 and it is "near" Mayo, be sure to check the location.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:37 AM

21 posts, read 61,479 times
I forgot to tell you that since you are going to be working for Mayo you should contact HR as they offer 3 relocation packages if you are moving from 70 or more miles away and they should be able to help you to find an apartment. I know because I was going to go to work for them but the winters made me change my mind.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:07 PM

Thank you so much everyone for your responses! I really appreciate it. It is so hard when you are moving out of state, and don't know the state (or city!) that you are moving too!
I appreciate your help.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:52 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLG6 View Post
Thank you so much everyone for your responses! I really appreciate it. It is so hard when you are moving out of state, and don't know the state (or city!) that you are moving too!
I appreciate your help.
Rochester is nice. People moving here all the time, so we are used to it. Send me a PM when you get to town and I'll let you know (if needed) utilities and such.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:00 PM

169 posts, read 526,334 times
if my info is still current, mayo HR has 2 relocation options, but can't help you find an apartment. however, if you ask, they can give you a listing of the mayo classified where people list apart for rent etc.

i'm not very good with directions, but don't find that i need a GPS in rochester (been here a few years). i find having the map help (mayo HR can give you one, or you can pick up one at mayo info center or those racks in the skyway etc. i usually mapquest an address, and then find it on the big map to see where it is located in the big picture. after a while it's easy to guess where things are (1st St NW, 1st Ave NW, 1st St NE, 1st Ave NE, 1st St SW, 1st Ave SW, 1st St SE, 1st Ave SE etc....) "street' mostly goes from east to west, and 'ave' goes from south to north. though in the newer area they have street names instead of numbers... some of the main roads have names eg broadway, civic center drive, salem road etc.

i think the chamber of commerce has a newcomers pack as well (i haven't gotten it before tho so don't know what it has).

http://www.rochestermnchamber.com/pdf/relocation_general.pdf (broken link) (looks like you have to pay a small fee for it)

Old 03-02-2008, 07:49 PM

Default I did it!

Hi all of you friendly Minnesota people!
Well, I took the plunge today. I put a deposit down on a place in Pine Island, MN. I can only keep my fingers crossed that it was a good move. I guess one never knows....
Coming from a small town where it only takes 5-10 minutes to get anywhere, it will be quite a change for me having to commute for 30 minutes to get to Rochester, but it shouldn't be too bad. US-52 is right there and I can just jump on it and go.
Again, thank you so much for all of your help. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.
Take Care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota