U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 09:21 AM

928 posts, read 896,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
We are home to many Somali immigrants, many of whom are Muslim, and thus they are targeted/recruited heavily by radical terrorists overseas. In general, ground zero for this activity is the cedar-riverside neighborhood of Minneapolis, where I believe 25,000+ Somalis live in multi-colored apartment projects known locally as "the crack stacks"(feel free to google "crack stacks cedar-riverside).
So that's what these buildings are? They remind of the commie blocks I grew up in Eastern Europe behind the Iron Curtain. They are trully depressing and soul sucking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 07:39 PM

8 posts, read 10,387 times
I live in Rochester. I never worry about the nuclear power plant. If that helps....

What types of things does your family enjoy doing? Rochester has many options, but in my experience, you have to look for them; they don't generally just come to you. There are many sports options (youth leagues/adult leagues varying in the level of competitiveness), a lot of shopping (especially big chains), and a small but growing local restaurant scene. There are some very nice state parks within a day trip that we enjoy visiting. Minnesota has a great state park system, and if camping or outdoors is your thing, you will find plenty to do!

Of course, winter here can get long. But the summers are glorious and make up for the long winters, in my opinion.

I'm sure you will make the best choice for your family.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:33 PM

1,254 posts, read 841,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
So that's what these buildings are? They remind of the commie blocks I grew up in Eastern Europe behind the Iron Curtain. They are trully depressing and soul sucking.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverside_Plaza

some history

Old 11-09-2016, 09:14 PM

4,815 posts, read 9,636,521 times
I have friends who grew up in Rochester, when to John Marshall HS, and I have been there to visit folks and also travelled through there. So no expert on living there....but just from my observations I would recommend Rochester. Hwy 53 that goes through the western and southern parts of the city is very nice and 3 lanned in each direction. I really did like the town of Byron just west of Rochester as well. The area is fairly hilly as well. Overall just from my time there I would have no problem recommending the place. It has usually been highly regarded as a good place to live.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:29 AM

10,194 posts, read 7,427,360 times
I am sick of hearing how flat and ugly Rochester is. It just isn't true. Rochester is lovely and not flat. Who ever keeps saying that has only seen one tiny part or thinks flat is anything short of San Fran. It has lovely parks. Beautiful season (I dont care for Spring until later spring, but the rest are great). Hills, small (man made) lakes, farms. Its a cute town. There are sections that are ugly and flat. But every city has them.

OP I sent you a direct message with a lot of feedback on the practical stuff. It just had too much personal info to post online.

Old 11-11-2016, 03:35 PM

210 posts, read 213,447 times
If you detest mosquitoes, they are quite scarce in this part of the country. All the moving water in the SE part of the state keeps them from breeding. To me, that is a huge plus. If you like trout fishing, there are many trout streams in the area. I love the scenic bluff country of SE MN. One nice thing about the power plant in Red Wing is it keeps part of the river open all winter which attracts lots of bald eagles. It was at Colville Park on the south side of Red Wing that I got my best Bald Eagle photos. The National Eagle Center is in Wabasha, kind of between Red Wing and Rochester.

None of these things may be important to you but I just thought I'd throw them in if you're the outdoorsy type.

Old 11-11-2016, 04:18 PM

4,815 posts, read 9,636,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I am sick of hearing how flat and ugly Rochester is. It just isn't true. Rochester is lovely and not flat. Who ever keeps saying that has only seen one tiny part or thinks flat is anything short of San Fran. It has lovely parks. Beautiful season (I dont care for Spring until later spring, but the rest are great). Hills, small (man made) lakes, farms. Its a cute town. There are sections that are ugly and flat. But every city has them.

OP I sent you a direct message with a lot of feedback on the practical stuff. It just had too much personal info to post online.
Yeah coming from the flat Red River valley... Rochester and the area is hilly and good viewing for fall colors. Rochester, flat. nope unless you compare it to the Rockies

Old 11-14-2016, 09:24 AM

3,115 posts, read 4,728,846 times
I'm sorry to say I had to turn Mayo's offer down. They wanted me to work all 3 shifts plus weekends on a rotating basis, and that kind of schedule is no longer conducive to our needs as a family. I barely see my wife and kids during the week as it is. We need something much more structured. I wondered why they hadn't mentioned which shift I would be working when they made the initial offer. It was almost as if they wanted me to accept the job and then they were going to reveal the schedule. They had mentioned an awesome 4 weekday (10 hour shifts) setup when I interviewed, and when I told them that was the shift I wanted they acted like they knew nothing about it. I was that close to taking it, too, because I was more than satisfied with the info I gathered on Rochester and vicinity. Oh well. Our lease isn't up until March anyway, so we still have time to find the job that suits us.

Thanks so much to everyone who replied to this thread. Got a lot of great info about the area, and will keep all of it in mind should another opportunity arise there in the future. You never know. In the meantime, you may eventually see me in the Twin Cities forum asking questions because we're going to keep looking up that way.

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 11-14-2016 at 09:48 AM..

Old 11-16-2016, 06:11 AM

3,115 posts, read 4,728,846 times
Mayo now has another position at their hospital in Mankato that I'm applying for. I can hardly find any info about Mankato on the internet for some reason, so I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone can tell me anything about that area. Looks like Mankato has more water in and around it than Rochester does, and a tiny bit closer to the Cities, but that's all I've come up with thus far.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:33 PM

5,056 posts, read 5,726,202 times
Not sure how much info is in here.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=25826814
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or