U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 5,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybrad77 View Post
Me and my wife just moved to Minnesota. We live in Zimmerman, Which is in Sherburne County, 35 miles North of Minneapolis. Driving up 169 between Elk River and Zimmerman, me and my wife have been seeing what appears to be wolves, but I kinda think they are Huskies. Are there wolves in this part of Minnesota?
Although it may be wolves you are seeing, it is more likely coyotes which tend to run larger here than out West. I have personally seen a family of coyotes near Garrison ( by Mille Lacs lake) and an individual in White Bear Lake area.
I have also seen two dead wolves at different times that were hit by cars on 64 about halfway from Akely and Motley.
Unless you have livestock, consider it a treat to see these animals because there hasn't been a reported unprovoked attack in over 100 years in the U.S.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 7,236 times
Default save some tax money

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy77 View Post
We have tons of urban deer here in Duluth. I have seen as many as 11 at one time in my yard. We have an urban deer bow hunt every year in the fall that they want to expand. I recommended bringing in a pack of wolves to help the problem but was met with stiff opposition. I wonder why? I actually like the deer. I moved here from south Minneapolis where there are only a few birds and squirrels. People up here take their wild city for granted. It would be cool to see wolves take down the deer in my yard. Just kidding, sort of.
brandy Your comments are an example of how some people have become disneyfied by this animal. Your comments are unrealistic and un-insightful. If you think this animal belongs prowling the neighborhood please check first with Candice Berner! Left unchecked this animal would live in urban Duluth..... all you need to do is get the Minnesota DNR not to killing the hundreds of trouble wolves each year (which are costing the tax payers big money). If you get that to happen (and save us the cost of depredation management) i'm sure it wouldn't be long and you will be able to watch one animal maul another. Maybe you could invite Michael Vick in to watch.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 05-27-2010, 09:44 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,617,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWolves View Post
brandy Your comments are an example of how some people have become disneyfied by this animal. Your comments are unrealistic and un-insightful. If you think this animal belongs prowling the neighborhood please check first with Candice Berner! Left unchecked this animal would live in urban Duluth..... all you need to do is get the Minnesota DNR not to killing the hundreds of trouble wolves each year (which are costing the tax payers big money). If you get that to happen (and save us the cost of depredation management) i'm sure it wouldn't be long and you will be able to watch one animal maul another. Maybe you could invite Michael Vick in to watch.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
I agree that bringing a pack of wolves into Duluth is not realistic for a variety of reasons.

DNR wolf predation control amounts to $220,000 per year (which includes both monitoring as well as eliminating problem individuals) as currently budgeted, though it should be noted that as yet this has been paid not by the DNR but by federal management agencies (ie, the taxpayers of all fifty states, not just Minnesota).

Of course, as brandy77 noted, wolves help keep the deep population in check. And the deer population inflicts an annual cost in Minnesota that makes $220,000 look like pocket change.

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/hhhevent/new...app%20deer.pdf
$70 million in annual damages (and that's just the cost of vehicular damage, not for treating resulting injuries). And how do you put a price on the 150 Americans killed annually in such collisions? Nine in 2008 due to deer/vehicle collisions in the state of Minnesota alone.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:15 PM

256 posts, read 605,648 times
Most likely what you are seeing would be coyotes. One day out by Lake Lillian I saw one running down the ditches and thought it was a wolf, but I was mistaken. We have huge coyote populations out here, along with deer populations.

It's not to say that they aren't expanding their territory and moving south, but chances are they were coyotes. Wolves get a bad rap. I personally love the animal myself and am glad they have made a return in MN. When the time comes, I am sure there will be some sort of population control just like with any other animal.
To comment on a couple other posts: I don't think they should be brought into a city, especially Duluth, though. That said, I don't understand people that move out in the country and then get angry that they have certain wildlife roam into their yard. You built in their environment, not the other way around people.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:06 PM

9,803 posts, read 14,371,939 times
coyotes are often referred to as brush wolves

Old 05-31-2010, 10:30 AM

150 posts, read 369,974 times
We have regular visits here in North Central MN. I own 4 Alaskan Malamutes and I can always tell when the wolves are near by my Mutes howling. One morning around 8AM, we had a front yard full of them, lots of pups in the pack. I do believe that the wolves keep the deer population in check. A few years ago it wasn't unusual to have 20 to 30 deer in our back woods. All looking for a meal.

Susie

Old 05-31-2010, 11:11 AM

23,572 posts, read 24,664,033 times
I see dead wolves all the time along the freeway, brown or tan and they look like little horses sometimes with horns. I think they come to the freeway and lay down on the warm asphalt to die when they get old. Sometimes they're mangled pretty badly. That must be from other wolves coming around later to eat them.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:53 PM

60 posts, read 128,324 times
JayBrad to answer your questions, yes there are Wolves in our area. Not a lot but a couple. I know for sure there are some in the Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:54 PM

150 posts, read 369,974 times
To learn more about wolves and problem wolves, go to the DNR site:

Conservation Officer weekly reports - Enforcement Division: Minnesota DNR

Susie

Old 06-01-2010, 03:46 PM

122 posts, read 374,578 times
Here in Toronto,Ontario we had a similar issue but it involved black bears, recently a black bear was wondering around just north of the City. It happens once in while in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota