Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 11:36 AM

871 posts, read 1,088,453 times

Advertisements

Perhaps Rochester needs to create an Uncle Sam-like character and put up posters...

Wanted: Workers to fill Rochester's growing labor shortage | Minnesota Public Radio News

"With the downtown Destination Medical Center project expected to add 30,000 more jobs in Rochester over the next 20 years, the problem is likely to get much worse...The region's adding only 600 workers a year, fewer than half of what it needs, which means Rochester will have to attract employees by essentially outbidding other cities, he added."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 09:52 PM

628 posts, read 1,436,825 times
I do like Rochester, but I couldn't live there. It's a city that lacks character and really has no identity of its own. To me, there is no difference between the SW Minneapolis suburbs, Saint Cloud, Mankato, and Rochester, etc. They all look and feel the same with nothing to do unless you have vanilla G-rated type interests.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:02 PM

80 posts, read 96,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
I do like Rochester, but I couldn't live there. It's a city that lacks character and really has no identity of its own. To me, there is no difference between the SW Minneapolis suburbs, Saint Cloud, Mankato, and Rochester, etc. They all look and feel the same with nothing to do unless you have vanilla G-rated type interests.
I don't think you can say that it lacks character or a unique identity. Mayo Clinic definitely adds that, although it is not the type of identity that automatically makes it as fun a place to live as a college town, for instance. So it just has a different type of character, rather than none at all. While Mayo Clinic's influence may be underutilized currently, Destination Medical Center should do a lot to change that both economically and culturally. As for things to do, not sure what you expect a metro of ~200k to have that Rochester doesn't.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:05 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
You can find some wicked fun orgies if you look hard enough

Old 12-14-2016, 08:40 PM

628 posts, read 1,436,825 times
Hey look - more people on the internet who disagree with something I said. Cool.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:40 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
Disagreeing with a Millenial is fun because they aren't used to hearing that they ever could be wrong. Welcome to adult life!

Every place has it's own character. You just have to be open to seeing and learning about what that character might be. And the characters of place change and evolve through time.

As for the concept that zillions of jobs are opening up because the Rochester region's boosters are working on the DMC concept (Destination Medical Center), I think that's unlikely.

Rochester has been growing steadily for several decades. I haven't observed a noticeable boom since the DMC idea has been eagerly discussed - just more steady growth. The small towns in the region have also been steadily growing, as many people do commute into Roch itself for work.

I actually hope growth slows so that the region retains it's beautiful environment and minimal slash and burn ticky tacky development occurs. We'll see what happens over the next few decades.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:37 PM

137 posts, read 225,521 times
Quote:
On the surface, I agree. But I've overheard a few too many people at beer league softball games discussing genome sequencing technology to say Rochester is not unique.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:28 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Rochester is an awesome place of people with young kids. Single people, solo couples, families with older kids...not too much. Maybe in the future.

Houses ranging from 100k-200k are bing snatched up like crazy.

We need a lot of worker class people, but not fully ready to take them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota