U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 03:00 PM

59 posts, read 116,203 times
Default What are the people like in Minneapolis and St. Paul?

My husband, myself and our baby girl are looking for our new home. We're wondering what the people in the Twin Cities are like? We are originally from the Midwest and are basically nerds. He's a techie and I'm an artist.

Thanks in advance for your two cents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 12:03 PM

638 posts, read 2,139,829 times
We're pretty much normal people with some normal-to-us idiosyncrasies.

I haven't seen anyone with green skin and 4 eyes yet!

Old 03-01-2008, 12:23 PM

Default sarcastically funny, too

I guess I didn't ask the question clearly enough-- excuuuuuuuuuse me!

People down here in ATL are exceedingly unfriendly, judgmental and rude. The south in general from 3 years here and 2 in TN, sucks. I'm from the Midwest (Indiana-- yay), but that's so broad, you can't really lump Midwesterners in one lump. Ohioians are different from Hoosiers, who are different from Chicagoans, who, I would assume are different from Minnesotans and Minneapolites (?). How liberal are people? How interested in the arts as opposed to sports? Buckeyes and Hoosiers are exceedingly rabid sports culture. Down here Jesus in public school is a regular, normal thing. How about up there?

Did I ask the question better this time? Did I? Huh? Huh? Did I?

Old 03-01-2008, 02:08 PM

638 posts, read 2,139,829 times
LOL!

Sorry, but I'm not playing with my brain fully engaged today (check out the post in MPLS/St. Paul about Google Maps and you will agree)!

Minnesotans are friendly but seem reserved or stand-offish to a lot of people on this board; chalk it up to our heritage I think. Listen to a few "A Prairie Home Companion Shows" on public radio; when Garrison Keillor tells his Lake Wobegon stories, it will give you an idea of how many Minnesotans think. (BTW, there isn't a town or area named "Lake Wobegon" here, my daughter works in the tourism industry and she says that people have asked where that town in since it isn't on a map.)

The Twin Cities have a thriving arts community here: we have the MPLS Institute of Art, the Walker, the MN Museum of American Art, and the Weisman Art Museum (or WAM) and my favorite must-see, the Sculpture Garden. Here is a site that may help you: Arts and Museums: Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul, MN and here is a quote from a page on that site:
Quote:
Whether it is music, theater, ballet, comedy or opera, you will find it all here. On the average Twin Cities' week-end you can choose between 29 plays, 6 dance performances, 8 pop music concerts, 2 jazz concerts, 3 major art exhibits, 24 gallery shows, five comedy acts.
We also love our sports teams here; but I don't think we are quite as rabid as some other midwestern states.

Religion is well-tolerated here but not worn as a banner, nor used as an excuse to discriminate against those that are different.

We are a progressive state that values education too.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the input!
Hubby and I have been listening to Garrison Keillor since we were in our teens. Being from the Chicagoland area and NW Indiana, we listened to plenty of NPR. I haven't read any of the books yet, but it's on my to do list.

That's funny that people look for the town!

I'm crossing my fingers that Minneapolis gives hubby the awesome new job he deserves. Everything I've read, it seems like a great fit for us. I'm just so desperate to find our niche and plant it. Moving around gets old after a while, especially now with bitty girl in tow!

I want to be where people don't expect me to be _just like them_. It's so Stepford down here. *snore* It's like Indiana, but mild winters.

I love Chicago and other parts of the Midwest, don't get me wrong. Minneapolis sounds so free and "live and let live" instead of be like us or else. Yes please! Me too, me too!

Old 03-02-2008, 08:11 PM

6 posts, read 13,078 times
Why not try Wisconsin. If you want friendly, warm people this is it. I lived in the Twin
Cities for 9 years and encountered the rudest, most arrogant people ever in my life. I've lived in more than a few cities but they are the worst. The traffic is terrible. The only thing they have going for them is the arts but you pay for all of them. All of the museums with the exception of the Art Museum charge fees. The crime rate there seems to be escalating all the time. They keep letting the real criminals back out on the street. The jails are full of DUI's and small time drug users so the rapes, domestic abusers and robbers are back on the streets. They prosecute crime where they can make the most money off it. Trust me,... think twice before moving there.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:19 PM

Default Wisconsin

Oh, it's on the list. It's a matter of finding the right job for hubby. We're looking all over the Midwest, just NOT Indiana. Born and raised there and loathe the endless dead cornfields and gray skies in the winter. Like Lewis Black once said, it makes you want to slit your wrists just to see some color.

I just want to get back to the Midwest where people have a work ethic, and don't wear flip flops and shorts when it's 28 degrees outside. And the pizza here SUCKS. Giordano's is the best Chicago pizza on earth, but I'd settle for some Uno's right about now.

We just don't belong down here.
Thanks for the input and cross your fingers for us to find the best spot for ourselves!

Old 03-03-2008, 10:36 AM

9,913 posts, read 13,990,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by original_bookgirl View Post
My husband, myself and our baby girl are looking for our new home. We're wondering what the people in the Twin Cities are like? We are originally from the Midwest and are basically nerds. He's a techie and I'm an artist.

I'm a techie, my wife is an artist, we're both self-proclaimed nerds, and we were both very happy up in the Twin Cities.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:19 AM

847 posts, read 1,461,960 times
I'd say the Twin Cities should be a good fit for you. As others have stated, it's liberal and progressive, but also somewhat reserved. Chalk it up to what until recently has been a very dominant Scandinavian heritage in the area. Religion is central to most peoples lives, but they are not overt about it and it likely wont be a presence in the schools.

Oh, ignore bottomfly. The posts put up so far make it clear he/she is just a troll.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:31 AM

5,038 posts, read 4,344,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by original_bookgirl View Post

Maybe you should ask the 3 that got murdered this weekend???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota