Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 10:59 AM

8 posts, read 8,013 times

Advertisements

We have lived in MN our whole lives. Both of us have grown up in the Nw suburbs. Married 17 years. Currently live in ER for the past 12 years. We love the people here but the city is small and cannot offer much. We don't hunt or fish which is big here. But we like the burbs, even though we align with more city life.
We have new jobs that require an hour commute on a good day. We'd like to move closer but stay in the burbs. I work in S. Mpls and he works in Eden prairie. We are probably what you consider middle to upper middle class as far as salary and where we live.
Our oldest daughter is in 9th grade, middle daughter in 5th and some is in 3rd. We are a big hockey family and competitive dance team/ tennis and baseball.
Here's my problem; without sounding offensive to anyone we are afraid if we move south, like to Minnetonka, Wayzata, St. Louis Park, Eden prairie etc. We won't fit in. It is hard enough to acclimate as a teen and I expect it will be hard to be a new kid but I've heard from friends and patients and co workers those areas, especially Mtka and Eden Prairie are kind of... well..."snobby" and parents and children alike are not very welcoming to new people. I'm afraid of not making friends, both kids and us. We are not apposed to going more south like Bloomington or Apple Valley or wherever but we don't know that area well enough to make any choices! We just want to be welcomed, have good schools and be close to work
Please tell me, does anyone have any city suggestions for us where they are known for being welcoming and not on the snooty bandwagon? Now I know this is a stereotype and not everyone will be this way but of course some cities get reputations for that sort of stuff so it's something we cannot ignore.
We've looked into some of the cities closer but the school districts don't really score so well. So please send us in the right direction or give us feedback or reassurance of your own experiences!!? Please and thank you!

Last edited by VGruhlke; 01-26-2017 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: Added more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 11:18 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,884,581 times
I thought I told you already, my mom is borrowing my truck that weekend so she can move into a nursing home

Old 01-26-2017, 11:27 AM

8 posts, read 8,013 times
Wrong thread maybe???

Old 01-26-2017, 12:50 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,884,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGruhlke View Post
Wrong thread maybe???

sorry, thought you were looking to borrow my truck

Old 01-26-2017, 01:09 PM

6,429 posts, read 6,968,478 times
Lol Ghengis, my 28 ft enclosed trailer is currently full. Edina? Top hockey and tennis school. Might want to post in the Twin Cities section.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:58 AM

91 posts, read 118,393 times
Moving in high school could be tricky anywhere, but I have noticed there are more and more transplants, so I don't think it would be a big deal in the areas you mentioned, as they all have good schools and are desirable areas for transplants and locals. EP and Edina are sports powerhouses, and there are some nice 4bd/3ba homes available in those areas. You may want to get your kids involved in club or park district teams in those areas, it's a great way for kids and parents to make friends.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:42 PM

279 posts, read 757,475 times
Hard to say, Maybe Shakopee or Burnsville

However:
Shakopee into S Minneapolis would be a pain
Burnsville to EP may suck as well

Traffic on 494 bites

Old 02-08-2017, 11:49 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,181,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGruhlke View Post
Currently live in ER for the past 12 years.
Where? ER?

Old 02-09-2017, 01:32 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,664,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Where? ER?
Elk River. This story has been posted more than once. I think the OP wants someone to tell her to stay where she is.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:23 AM

210 posts, read 283,441 times
I think you should just stay where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota