Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 09:19 AM

17 posts, read 52,400 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving to Bloomington, MN and looking for a good community to stay. We are a small family of 3. I have a infant of 4 months. I need a good apartment probably 1 BR for a year. It should have good maintenance and onsite facilities like a gym, laundry, pool and a children play area. I understand it's very cold in winters so probably heating is something that should be included. I have lived in a couple of apartments in NY and down south and they don't include the heat/cool (HVAC). It should also have access to the shops and malls if possible and should be safe. I have gone through many communities on apartment guide but want to take an opinion from the forum before finalizing.

Waiting for suggestions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 10:01 AM

540 posts, read 1,096,726 times
What's your budget?

Most apartments will include heat and trash disposal in the rent. You will usually have to pay for electric, internet, cable, and phone if you want a land line.

Bloomington is full of malls, including the Mall of America, so you will never be too far away from shopping. But it is not a very walkable city. Many streets don't have sidewalks. It is also a large suburb that is sprawled out. For the most part, it will not be like NYC where you can walk to work and shopping, and the public transportation is nowhere near NYC, especially out in suburbs like Bloomington on nights and weekends unless you live along one of the major streets.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:56 PM

200 posts, read 174,950 times
Bloomington is all traffic and urban sprawl. Rush hours the highways turn into parking lots. Not where I'd choose to live in the metro. Any chance you're open to to other areas?

Old 04-07-2017, 11:10 PM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Anywhere near 50th and France in Edina.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilo845 View Post
What's your budget?

Most apartments will include heat and trash disposal in the rent. You will usually have to pay for electric, internet, cable, and phone if you want a land line.

Bloomington is full of malls, including the Mall of America, so you will never be too far away from shopping. But it is not a very walkable city. Many streets don't have sidewalks. It is also a large suburb that is sprawled out. For the most part, it will not be like NYC where you can walk to work and shopping, and the public transportation is nowhere near NYC, especially out in suburbs like Bloomington on nights and weekends unless you live along one of the major streets.
I understand it won't be like NYC. I live in NYC suburb in Nassau county where there are no apartments. You just have to rent someone's house. The highway and interstate here is bumper to bumper traffic so I am used to it. I can drive max 10 miles one way as I don't want to spend too much time on road. My budget is $1200.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Anywhere near 50th and France in Edina.
Edina seems to be good. How is West Bloomington? I am more concerned about safety. I have a non-working wife and a infant of 4 months n they would be staying all day at home.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseSky View Post
Bloomington is all traffic and urban sprawl. Rush hours the highways turn into parking lots. Not where I'd choose to live in the metro. Any chance you're open to to other areas?
I am used to traffic in Long Island . Don't want to drive more than 10 miles one way. I am more concerned about safety as I have an infant and a non-working wife.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:48 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,780 times
I would consider West Bloomington to be safe, I'd have no problem living in that area. I'm fairly new to Bloomington and it seems that only the East end would be considered iffy. By then you're near the MOA and Airport.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:13 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,659,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjya2002 View Post
Edina seems to be good. How is West Bloomington? I am more concerned about safety. I have a non-working wife and a infant of 4 months n they would be staying all day at home.
Both West Bloomington and Edina are excellent suburban areas. You can really do no wrong in choosing the area if it's within your budget and it's one of the most well off areas of the metro. Tons of shopping and you are in very close proximity to Minneapolis, ST. Paul, Lake Minnetonka, Valleyfair, and the airport, etc..
They do have bus service to many areas as well if commuting by car is not your thing.

Last edited by Minnesota Spring; 04-11-2017 at 09:31 AM..

Old 08-07-2017, 10:13 AM

302 posts, read 727,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseSky View Post
Um....no. Bloomington covers a lare geographic area, and there are a ton of parks, and well as "wilderness" along the Minnesota River. Have you even been to Bloomington? Or do you just go shop at MOA and leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul