Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 08:27 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times

Advertisements

in central Chisago Co., heard what I presumed to have been a sonic boom that shook the whole house to the point that I thought we may have had a large branch or tree fall over onto it. Our nearest neighbor called to say he had heard and felt it too. Didn't see anything locally on this but a TV station in SW Michigan (400 miles away) reported that folks there heard it about 8:30 their time which was about 7:30 our time. All I know is that someone's lucky that I don't have any cows that have refused to give milk this morning.

Loud ‘boom’ reported in Grandville area, source unknown | WOODTV.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 08:13 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,780 times
I have not heard a sonic boom myself since childhood. That said, how could one, if man made be heard here in MN as well as in the middle of Michigan? Would have to have been atmospheric level as in meteor related.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
I have not heard a sonic boom myself since childhood. That said, how could one, if man made be heard here in MN as well as in the middle of Michigan? Would have to have been atmospheric level as in meteor related.

assuming it was a military aircraft, tho still haven't found any other reports besides the widely reported Michigan event shortly after we heard ours.

Mystery booms and rumblings

Old 04-17-2017, 11:50 AM

By the way, I did hear it too. Thought someone had set off a major firework but thought otherwise when no others were heard. To me it felt/sounded local but it seems as it's not the case.

Heard it in Sebeka, didn't note the exact time but it was after 7:00pm. Never gave it a second thought until this tread popped up and actually not until AFTER my first response post.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:35 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Do you think it was related to the EXTREMELY intense hailstorm/downpour that happened about 7 pm here on your western border? The storm burst was so intense and the hail so large that somehow it caused the drier fan of the grain bin across the road to turn on - when no grain is inside it, which is very dangerous. The storm lasted only a few minutes. The grain bin drier kept running until I got the farmer out here to shut it off. Scared us all to death.

Either that or it was Trump making Minnesota pay for not loving him.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Do you think it was related to the EXTREMELY intense hailstorm/downpour that happened about 7 pm here on your western border? The storm burst was so intense and the hail so large that somehow it caused the drier fan of the grain bin across the road to turn on - when no grain is inside it, which is very dangerous. The storm lasted only a few minutes. The grain bin drier kept running until I got the farmer out here to shut it off. Scared us all to death.

Either that or it was Trump making Minnesota pay for not loving him.
don't know bout the storms but we're probably 170 miles or so from the border.

did find one other reference to a Saturday "boom" in Myrtle Beach at about 2:30 pm, but unless I confused the time here or in Michigan, I was under the impression the sound was moving SE so SC should have been later. However, if I'm misrembering the time of what I heard and Michigan was before...?

Viewers report loud noise Saturday, possible sonic boom - FOX Carolina 21

Old 04-18-2017, 06:25 AM

I can tell you for sure it was not Hail or Weather related. Sebeka is in the middle of no where, the sound was that of a loud fireworks report, a Bang Explosion. And that was it. Loud, random and singular.

No storms near by, no noise of aircraft. It will forever be a mystery but most likely a sonic boom.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:15 AM

210 posts, read 285,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
I can tell you for sure it was not Hail or Weather related. Sebeka is in the middle of no where, the sound was that of a loud fireworks report, a Bang Explosion. And that was it. Loud, random and singular.

No storms near by, no noise of aircraft. It will forever be a mystery but most likely a sonic boom.
In your neck of the woods it was probably just somebody shooting at a hungry bear that just came out of hibernation.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:06 PM

Guns and Alcohol. Didn't hear any sirens, it went out of mind completely and didn't re-occur to me until after an initial post. Besides, no bears hibernating here in town. Silly Town Council likely prohibits it.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:20 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Military training causing loud booms in region

The timing may not be right, but sonic booms can travel 40 or 50 miles, depending on the altitude. If a jet strayed a little out of the exercise area, Chisago could have been within range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota