U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 08:34 AM

2,937 posts, read 4,542,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
there appears to be a direct correlation between liberal and happiness
Nah. I'm a staunch conservative and I absolutely love it here. I also loved living in Boston and Chicago.

I have never allowed politics or the social teeter totter to dictate where I hang my hat and neither should anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 08:47 AM

10,171 posts, read 7,081,269 times
We moved here over 2 years ago and the quality of life is by far better then any other place I have lived. It's so nice that sometimes I find vacations stressful and can't wait to get home where people are polite and things and peaceful.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:24 AM

2,987 posts, read 2,143,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheGreat View Post
Looks like the top 10 "happiest" states are among the whitest states with least amount of diversity, with the exception of Hawaii and California. Obviously these states have a different set of issues than states that have lots of diversity. Outside of West Virginia, who says there's not much to be said for a serious lack of diversity?

The real shocker, though, is California is in the top 10. I woulda figured it would have been with the cellar dwellers in the bottom 10, with its high cost of living and high crime rates.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:30 AM

10,171 posts, read 7,081,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Looks like the top 10 "happiest" states are among the whitest states with least amount of diversity, with the exception of Hawaii and California. Obviously these states have a different set of issues than states that have lots of diversity. Outside of West Virginia, who says there's not much to be said for a serious lack of diversity?

The real shocker, though, is California is in the top 10. I woulda figured it would have been with the cellar dwellers in the bottom 10, with its high cost of living and high crime rates.
Well my family is diverse and we are still happy in Minnesota.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:55 PM

2,937 posts, read 4,542,101 times
Quote:
Looks like the top 10 "happiest" states are among the whitest states with least amount of diversity.
Oh, go away.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:51 AM

1,088 posts, read 986,756 times
I don't doubt that MN is a very happy state. These things are always subjective, and to an extent, pointless. But my quality of life is far better here than it ever was in NJ, IL, or WI. There is an ease, something unintimidating about living here that I really appreciate. In a general sense, it's a state you can always count on, you kind of know what you are going to get.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:05 PM

2,270 posts, read 880,373 times
While these sorts of surveys tend to have a degree of subjectivity to them - after all, 'happy' is a somewhat imprecise notion - and there's really no way of knowing which state is the absolute 'happiest', it is no surprise at all that Minnesota should rank somewhere near the top of any reasonable measurement of satisfaction. Clearly, this makes some people unhappy, undoubtedly for some combination of personal and political reasons or because they think the hopelessly small sample size of their anecdotal experience (which is almost certainly biased by what they happen to choose to recall) is statistically meaningful. They lack both objectivity and a rudimentary understanding if data.

Let's examine this logically. What makes people happy? Health and safety should be at or near the top.

Minnesota ranks #2 in life expectancy.
Minnesota is a top 10 state for quality health care (even the perpetually healthy take comfort in this, since medical needs can arise at any time).
It's also among the 10 states with the lowest violent crime rates.

Life Expectancy at Birth (in years) | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...thcare-quality
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s..._2012-2013.xls
Crime rate in Minnesota hits a 50-year low, new BCA data show - StarTribune.com

Education?

Minnesota has one of the best education systems in the country. This enhances the happiness if people with children (ie, most people). This is reflected in such things as the state having the highest average ACT score among those states with 100% ACT participation and the second-highest high school graduation rate in the nation.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-schools/5335/
http://blog.prepscholar.com/act-scor...highs-and-lows
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nal_attainment

Finances?

Minnesota is a top 5 state for median household income.

We also have a highly-diversified economy which protects against economic downturns in any one sector. Our unemployment rate has been consistently below the national average for decades. And despite endless claims that business are fleeing the state because of taxes, there are 19 Fortune 500 companies HQ'd here, with the 8 states ranking ahead of us all having much larger populations.

Note:
Some will point out that Minnesota's local tax burden - which is indeed in the top 10 nationally - offsets our high average wages. This is nonsense. Minnesota's overall tax burden is about 11%, and almost all the states with lower rates are still at 8% of higher. Even for those really low states, such as our neighbors in South Dakota (49th, at 7%), given that Minesota's median income is $13k higher than in South Dakota, we're still coming out ahead. Even considering Alaska, with higher average incomes and lower taxes, Minnesota's COL index (slightly below the national average) more than makes up for that (because Alaska's COL is 30% higher).

Median Annual Household Income | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
https://taxfoundation.org/publicatio...rden-rankings/
https://www.missourieconomy.org/indi...ost_of_living/
https://www.ceo.com/entrepreneurial_...500-companies/

The one drawback, for a lot of people, is the winter weather. I'm no apologist - I dislike them, too. Let's face it. If we had weather like Texas, beaches like Florida, mountains like Colorado, all of the above life California, there'd be 20 million people here. And if any of those states were run as well as Minnesota is run, they'd have twice as many people as they have now.

So Minnesota ranks at or near the top in terms if happiness? Well... duh! It would be bizarre and inexplicable if it didn't!

Quote:
Per the 2010 census, only two of the 10 whitest states made the list of the 10 happiest states. Also, you didn't mention New Jersey, which is less white than California and made the top 10. And West Virginia is the 3rd-whitest state and the least-happy state of all. So, I fail to see the whole whitest=happiest trend that you're seeing.

Quote:

Old 09-24-2017, 11:10 AM

9 posts, read 6,030 times
best city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or