U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 09:59 PM

182 posts, read 112,450 times

Advertisements

Believe it or not...

Don't Worry, We're Happy! Report Names Minnesota Happiest State in Country | KSTP.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 11:12 AM

229 posts, read 118,836 times
That cannot be. Two Colorado posters that have devoted their life to prove Minnesota is the unhappiest and worst place to live, have conclusively proven how bad Minnesota is. I demand a recount

Old 09-12-2017, 11:26 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,252,925 times
I don't believe that that is true because in the past I have found that the most politically correct cities and states are always chosen as the best places to live. There once was an article in some magazine on the best small towns to live in the U.S. All of them that were chosen were liberal towns usually with a liberal local university attached to the town that fit right in to the left, liberal agenda of what the best place to live would be. S0 don't go by what anyone says. The best town or state is the one you feel the most comfortable in and it all depends on the person and how their personality matches up the personality of the town or state that they are considering.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:32 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,181,776 times
Leeburls? Whasat you sez bout leeburls? We don wan no leeburls touchin us! Eeeeew.

Minnesota is physically beautiful, economically stable, low crime in most areas, not overcrowded in most areas, with a slowly growing population and clean air and water in most areas. What's not to be happy about?

Old 09-12-2017, 12:57 PM

884 posts, read 440,209 times
I am unsurprised. My family and I have recently moved to Duluth and have found our overall quality of life is much higher. People are nicer, scenery is great, and cost of living is good. Where I am in Duluth is a perfect location for nature, terrain, and the Cities are only 2.5 hours away if I need my fix. I can't speak for the quality for the remainder of the state, but here in Duluth, our family is loving it. Cheers!

Old 09-12-2017, 02:02 PM

419 posts, read 262,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
I am unsurprised. My family and I have recently moved to Duluth and have found our overall quality of life is much higher. People are nicer, scenery is great, and cost of living is good. Where I am in Duluth is a perfect location for nature, terrain, and the Cities are only 2.5 hours away if I need my fix. I can't speak for the quality for the remainder of the state, but here in Duluth, our family is loving it. Cheers!
I was gonna write this exact same post cornsnicker

We, too, are loving it here. My family's quality of life is so much better here. The people I meet (in real life) are super friendly and the cost of living is great.

I would also add that the dog parks are amazing as well.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:16 PM

4,762 posts, read 5,433,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
I was gonna write this exact same post cornsnicker

We, too, are loving it here. My family's quality of life is so much better here. The people I meet (in real life) are super friendly and the cost of living is great.

I would also add that the dog parks are amazing as well.
I am glad to hear this. I had gotten a different impression from a previous thread and am very happy that it was incorrect.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:51 PM

419 posts, read 262,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I am glad to hear this. I had gotten a different impression from a previous thread and am very happy that it was incorrect.
Thank you Glenfield! It's easy to make false judgements on anonymous internet forums. The reality of my life situation was that we were stuck in the abhorrent COL situation in Denver in which our salaries were NOT keeping up with the rising housing costs. Our move here has relieved that burden and I'm so happy that we are finally in a stable financial situation for our family. FYI, (warning: snootiness alert moving up the salary ladder was an added bonus for us.
Glad to see we're able to move on from the previous thread

Old 09-14-2017, 06:29 PM

229 posts, read 118,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I don't believe that that is true because in the past I have found that the most politically correct cities and states are always chosen as the best places to live. There once was an article in some magazine on the best small towns to live in the U.S. All of them that were chosen were liberal towns usually with a liberal local university attached to the town that fit right in to the left, liberal agenda of what the best place to live would be. S0 don't go by what anyone says. The best town or state is the one you feel the most comfortable in and it all depends on the person and how their personality matches up the personality of the town or state that they are considering.
These best cities or best state type of finding generally involve a statistical analysis of various factors that are deemed important for that subject. For the happiest state example, the looked at 28 different factors that researchers have identified with "happiness". You can look up the specifics but some obvious examples are life expectancy, health, suicide rates, low crime, safety, income, etc. They used official statistics and came out with a result. I don't think their methods are biased or liberal.

Money magazine compiles the best city list where place like Eden Prairie, Chanhassen, Woodbury, and 10 years ago, Eagan always receive high marks. They look at 60 factor with an emphasis on economic, education, and COLA factors. Eden prairie was #1 in 2010 and #2 in 2016. Money Magazine would hardly fall under the label of liberal magazine. So, if you live in Minnesota and you are from Eden Prairie, does that mean butterflies and rainbows are created by every step and a gold nimbus radiates from your skins. Of course not, but it probably mean you likelihood of happiness is greater than most places in the US.

Yep, the best place to lives is what matches you. But, the factors people desire for happiness are more likely to be found in Minnesota. Too bad you were unable to find it here, but there are always outliers in every data set.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:30 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,881,811 times
there appears to be a direct correlation between liberal and happiness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or