Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2017, 02:04 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Well, you're definitely not a woman!

And your answer actually does answer the question. The problem of many men behaving disrespectfully towards women exists because many men deny that this behavior exists and that there is a problem.

Any woman alive today will tell you that many men do, in fact, behave in exactly the same way that Franken and t-Rump have behaved. Sadly.
Well, I don’t do this and I believe my responsibility ends there.

So I take it you are a woman. Are you responsible for woman teachers who sexually abuse their students? What are you personally doing to stop this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 04:13 PM

871 posts, read 1,088,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Okay, your hatred of Christians and Christianity is noted. However, that is NOT an aspect of the Franken groping story.

So, please start a new thread and lecture the crickets about your hatred. You are OFF-TOPIC.

Again, I will talk about whatever aspect of this issue that *I* choose, not what *you* choose.

Franken's done in my opinion - I prefer he doesn't try to 'rebuild trust' with Minnesotans. It's too bad the Religious Reich doesn't hold conservatives accountable but we can't emulate such a hate-based movement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.326990028f18

"On a fall evening two years ago, donors gathered during a conference at a Ritz-Carlton hotel near Washington to raise funds for a 31-year-old candidate for the Ohio legislature who was a rising star in evangelical politics.

Hours later, upstairs in a hotel guest room, an 18-year-old college student who had come to the event with his parents said the candidate unzipped his pants and fondled him in the middle of the night. The frightened teenager fled the room and told his mother and stepfather, who demanded action from the head of the organization hosting the conference.

“If we endorse these types of individuals, then it would seem our whole weekend together was nothing more than a charade,” the stepfather wrote to Tony Perkins, president of the Council for National Policy.

“Trust me . . . this will not be ignored nor swept aside,” replied Perkins, who also heads the Family Research Council, a prominent evangelical activist group. “It will be dealt with swiftly, but with prudence.”.

So...you guys remember this incident from 2015? No...because Tony Perkins helped cover it up and preserve the political career of a man he knew was sexually assaulting young men.

I don't see what an 'ethics investigation' would do in these cases of sexual assault. I don't think one is an out for Franken.

Last edited by Thedosius; 11-24-2017 at 04:24 PM..

Old 11-24-2017, 05:02 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
Again, I will talk about whatever aspect of this issue that *I* choose, not what *you* choose.

Franken's done in my opinion - I prefer he doesn't try to 'rebuild trust' with Minnesotans. It's too bad the Religious Reich doesn't hold conservatives accountable but we can't emulate such a hate-based movement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.326990028f18

"On a fall evening two years ago, donors gathered during a conference at a Ritz-Carlton hotel near Washington to raise funds for a 31-year-old candidate for the Ohio legislature who was a rising star in evangelical politics.

Hours later, upstairs in a hotel guest room, an 18-year-old college student who had come to the event with his parents said the candidate unzipped his pants and fondled him in the middle of the night. The frightened teenager fled the room and told his mother and stepfather, who demanded action from the head of the organization hosting the conference.

“If we endorse these types of individuals, then it would seem our whole weekend together was nothing more than a charade,” the stepfather wrote to Tony Perkins, president of the Council for National Policy.

“Trust me . . . this will not be ignored nor swept aside,” replied Perkins, who also heads the Family Research Council, a prominent evangelical activist group. “It will be dealt with swiftly, but with prudence.”.

So...you guys remember this incident from 2015? No...because Tony Perkins helped cover it up and preserve the political career of a man he knew was sexually assaulting young men.

I don't see what an 'ethics investigation' would do in these cases of sexual assault. I don't think one is an out for Franken.
False equilvalence.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:27 PM

871 posts, read 1,088,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
False equilvalence.
Bearing false witness, "Christian".

Old 11-24-2017, 06:31 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
Bearing false witness, "Christian".
LOL actually it isn't, no matter who did it.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:33 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Quote:
Well, I don’t do this and I believe my responsibility ends there.
To quote t-Rump: "Sad."

Galatians 6:2 "Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ."

We all are responsible for being aware of the problems that do exist in society, for trying to understand why those problems exist, and for watching out for one another to the best of our abilities. Isn't that what moral people do in a functioning society?

We're now aware of what Franken did.
Understanding why he and others like him do these things is and should be a central topic of conversation.
We should all watch out for one another by speaking up when something similar does happen, no matter who does it.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:45 PM

3,784 posts, read 5,327,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
It’s an absolutely fair question. And thus far I’ve heard one person respond with an opinion based on an assumption and two others agree with that assumption.
Well why don't you elighten us then with your conspiracy theory? Franken isn't up for re-election for another 3 years.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Have you looked at your own behavior in this context?
I respect women and always have; therefore, no need to examine my own behaviour. For that matter, I also respect men and always have. As an alien from Mars, I wonder when you Earthlings will stop assuming my gender.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
False equilvalence.
And boring.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:08 AM

2,657 posts, read 1,375,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
A case has also been made by some Trump supporters that the Vanity Fair tape on Trump was before he ran for office and that he was just being politically incorrect. I think both should resign. Leopards don't usually change their spots that quickly if at all.
Believe there is almost no chance Franken or Trump gets re-elected now. The political parties will be distancing themselves from scandal and even perceived scandal in the 2018 and 2020 elections IMO, if they are smart. Women really mean business this time. Not just a light slap on the wrist and then forget a month or two later. Those days are over. People can argue whether that is too strict or not. However, it is the new reality. That cannot be disputed.
Trumpsters will be Trumpsters no matter what Trump does or did. Or has even bragged about doing. That includes the female ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota