U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-19-2008, 09:52 AM

5 posts, read 10,114 times
Default Moving from Ct to Apple Valley, Lakeville or Woodbury

We are moving to Minnesota in June. We have children under age 11. I have three questions:
1) How is the commute from these areas to Eagan?
2) I know school district 196 has gotten great reviews but how are Lakeville and Woodbury schools?
3) Are there middle schools and elementary schools that seem to out perform the others in any of these 3 towns?
4) Which town is the most scenic and offers more for it's taxes?

Any answers to any of the questions would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 12:23 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,121,601 times
All of our suburban schools are excellent here. I would look at Eagan, Rosemount, Mendota Heights, Woodbury and Hastings. I would say Hastings is the most scenic as it sits right on the Mississippi River, is only 1 mile (by boat) from the gorgeous St. Criox River and has lots of old architecture.

Taxes will all be relatively close.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:29 PM

20,802 posts, read 30,705,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by courcolb View Post
We are moving to Minnesota in June. We have children under age 11. I have three questions:
1) How is the commute from these areas to Eagan?
2) I know school district 196 has gotten great reviews but how are Lakeville and Woodbury schools?
3) Are there middle schools and elementary schools that seem to out perform the others in any of these 3 towns?
4) Which town is the most scenic and offers more for it's taxes?

Any answers to any of the questions would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks.
All are super easy commutes to Eagan, Woodbury a little longer and more traffic but still only 15 minutes or so. I am not a fan of Woodbury though. In the various districts the schools are all basically the same. You won't find one school that is way better then another school in any district in MN. Lakeville schools are better then Woodbury's. I think the most 'scenic' area in your post is probably Eagan. It has been around longer, more trees, hills, etc. Woodbury is pretty flat and nothing. The older areas of Lakeville are sort of scenic but still pretty flat. They are typical suburbs. In the 196 schools Rosemount will give you the most house for the money with the lower taxes, but not by all that much compared to Apple Valley, more compared to Eagan.

Personally I would start looking right in Eagan, make sure you are looking at 196 schools in Eagan, not the Burnsville part of Eagan. Mendota Heights/West. St. Paul has part of Eagan as well and that district is good too.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:12 PM

Thank you for your comments. Our realtor suggested these three towns. We have 3 children - ages, 10, 7 & 4. Do you feel there are other towns with good schools, nice scenery and good natured people close to Eagan? I don't mean to offend anyone on the good natured people question as we have heard nothing but wonderful comments on Mn. but my husband and I really know very little of Minnesota. We are looking for homes in area of $550,000 to $650,00 that have family neighborhoods, good values and are sports oriented for children. I heard Edina had great schools but too expensive for the price of homes we are looking at.

We are also concerned about air traffic as we understand the air traffic patterns changed within the past year. Also, can anyone comment on Prior Lake and Credit River?

Thanks in advance for any comments we may receive.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your comments. Our realtor suggested these three towns. We have 3 children - ages, 10, 7 & 4. Do you feel there are other towns with good schools, nice scenery and good natured people close to Eagan? I don't mean to offend anyone on the good natured people question as we have heard nothing but wonderful comments on Mn. but my husband and I really know very little of Minnesota. We are looking for homes in area of $550,000 to $650,00 that have family neighborhoods, good values and are sports oriented for children. I heard Edina had great schools but too expensive for the price of homes we are looking at.

We are also concerned about air traffic as we understand the air traffic patterns changed within the past year. Also, can anyone comment on Prior Lake and Credit River?

There are many towns around Eagan that will fit your needs. What sports are your kids into? That is really how most people pick where to live in MN. The schools for the most part are all VERY good so the move on to sports. Start with Eagan and radiate out. Burnsville and Woodbury are the two towns I don't personally like but pretty much everything else within 10 miles of Eagan is pretty good or great.

Prior Lake and Credit River are nice areas, pretty affluent areas as well. Honestly though, if you are working in Eagan, why give yourself a 30 minute commute to live in Prior Lake when you can have a 5 minute commute in the best school district in the state? The Rosemount, Apple Valley, Eagan schools (196) are the tops. Lakeville, Edina, and many other districts are also very, very good.

I have a 15 year old and twins that are 12. There are a LOT of families around here with kids your kids' ages.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:15 PM

My girls enjoy soccer, tennis, basketball, skiing. We currently live in a town that has about 25,000 people. The parents are very involved in the schools and sports. Something similar to this would be nice. Thanks again for your input.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:43 PM

196 schools are going to give you that too. Rosemount is about 22,000, Eagan is about 55,000, Apple Valley is about 40,000. Lakeville is in the 40,000 range too, I think. Soccer is VERY popular around here. They have very well organized programs at all levels. I think you will be happy with any of the areas. We just got done with Basketball season and are on to golf and track at our house. I think you will find plenty to keep your kids busy and meet their interests.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:11 PM

5,231 posts, read 9,241,574 times
Quote:

There should be plenty of homes to look at in Edina in the $550k-$650k range. They won't be the biggest or fanciest in town, but they are there. In close-by Hopkins, whose school district includes parts of Edina, you'd get more house for your money if it's size you are looking for.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:54 AM

Great information. Thanks very much for taking the time to respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota