Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 09:36 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times

Advertisements

https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/...4&kwp_1=982343

Might have to move in a couple of years???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 10:05 AM

54 posts, read 50,251 times
Minnesota....the land of taxes and where nothing is allowed. It's funny that the blue states have the highest state and local taxes. Why is that? Hmmm. Just sayin'. (I'm an Independent in case someone is going to call me out for being a Republican)

Anyway, I was glad to leave Minnesota, it's taxes and ridiculous politics.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaGonzales View Post
Minnesota....the land of taxes and where nothing is allowed. It's funny that the blue states have the highest state and local taxes. Why is that? Hmmm. Just sayin'. (I'm an Independent in case someone is going to call me out for being a Republican)

Anyway, I was glad to leave Minnesota, it's taxes and ridiculous politics.
We actually love it here as long as we stay out of the TC's. I have a pretty good retirement portfolio that accounts for TODAYS taxes So we're planning on staying.....Hopefully things hold on for another 9 yrs and I can punch out

Old 01-10-2018, 10:56 AM

542 posts, read 447,474 times
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/reti...mtDho#image=14

Do you get your money's worth is the real question (the quintessential Minnesota question) . According to this article, you do.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/reti...mtDho#image=14

Do you get your money's worth is the real question (the quintessential Minnesota question) . According to this article, you do.
I think a lot depends where in the State you live.....

Old 01-10-2018, 04:55 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times
As a transplant, in my experience, despite what this article states, Minnesota taxes are generally fair, evenly applied, and reasonable considering the quality of services. California is much much worse.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:27 PM

430 posts, read 335,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
We actually love it here as long as we stay out of the TC's. I have a pretty good retirement portfolio that accounts for TODAYS taxes So we're planning on staying.....Hopefully things hold on for another 9 yrs and I can punch out
I personally found the state better once I got IN the Twin Cities. The backwoods was just plain racist and small minded. I couldn't tell if I was in the south or if MN nice was a joke. I really thought MN was red for the first three years I was here, actually.

Once I moved to St Cloud I got a taste of niceness and currently like Minneapolis, but the small cities killed whatever good impression this state could have had, which is a shame cause the U of M is a top veterinary school and Minneapolis is pretty damn nice. I just got three straight years of negativity, racism, and homophobia and that is something that doesn't exactly make a newcomer want to stay... Even after, at this point, six years.

Though I WILL admit the scenery up north is pretty nice and I enjoy walking around with friends. Not into fishing or hunting or swimming in a lake (cause I can't swim actually) but it's peaceful just to walk around in the spring time and talk and look and pretend we're all back in high school, where rent doesn't exist and college tuition is a future concern.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:55 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
As a transplant, in my experience, despite what this article states, Minnesota taxes are generally fair, evenly applied, and reasonable considering the quality of services. California is much much worse.
I am also a transplant, newcomer, what have you......and I agree with this assessment.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:27 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,159 times
It's true. Minnesota has a high tax burden - somewhere around 11%.

What the dim-witted are too clueless to realize is... well, basic math. You see, Minnesota is a top state for income.

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...annual-income/

What this means - and this gets really complicated, so you'll need at least a middle school education in a state that actually believes in funding public schools - is that Minnesota's tax rate of 11% x its relatively high income (far, far higher than those low-tax paradises like Florida and Texas) results in more after-tax money that in those other states. Again, math. It's tricky. Like, numbers and multiplication and percentages. Real Einstein stuff.

Wait - I can hear the cries of 'cost of living!' being shrieked out as I type. Sorry, Minnesota's COL is almost identical to the national average (actually, it's just slightly below).

https://www.missourieconomy.org/indi...ost_of_living/

I know that it must be upsetting to those steeped in Ayn Rand fantasies and supply-side voodoo that a state that taxes its citizens more than other states actually has higher incomes, better infrastructure, and pretty much better everything, than the crapholes that tax less. Because this flies in the face of wingnut economic dogma. Too bad those touting such drivel never actually look at the real world to see of their theories actually pan out (pssst! they don't!).

Need I mention that Minnesota is a donor state? That's right - Minnesota is one of those states that sends more $ to DC than it receives in return, so that feeble (low tax) states that can't fend for themselves (Alabama, Indiana, North Dakota, the usual suspects) don't go belly up. It's true:
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/

We already have places like Mississippi and West Virginia. If you want to live in a place that sucks like they do, why don't you move there rather than try and make Minnesota suck as much as they do?

Old 01-10-2018, 09:40 PM

430 posts, read 335,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
It's true. Minnesota has a high tax burden - somewhere around 11%.

What the dim-witted are too clueless to realize is... well, basic math. You see, Minnesota is a top state for income.

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...annual-income/

What this means - and this gets really complicated, so you'll need at least a middle school education in a state that actually believes in funding public schools - is that Minnesota's tax rate of 11% x its relatively high income (far, far higher than those low-tax paradises like Florida and Texas) results in more after-tax money that in those other states. Again, math. It's tricky. Like, numbers and multiplication and percentages. Real Einstein stuff.

Wait - I can hear the cries of 'cost of living!' being shrieked out as I type. Sorry, Minnesota's COL is almost identical to the national average (actually, it's just slightly below).

https://www.missourieconomy.org/indi...ost_of_living/

I know that it must be upsetting to those steeped in Ayn Rand fantasies and supply-side voodoo that a state that taxes its citizens more than other states actually has higher incomes, better infrastructure, and pretty much better everything, than the crapholes that tax less. Because this flies in the face of wingnut economic dogma. Too bad those touting such drivel never actually look at the real world to see of their theories actually pan out (pssst! they don't!).

Need I mention that Minnesota is a donor state? That's right - Minnesota is one of those states that sends more $ to DC than it receives in return, so that feeble (low tax) states that can't fend for themselves (Alabama, Indiana, North Dakota, the usual suspects) don't go belly up. It's true:
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/

We already have places like Mississippi and West Virginia. If you want to live in a place that sucks like they do, why don't you move there rather than try and make Minnesota suck as much as they do?
You know you could've just pretended to be an adult and stop at the first sentence, leaving the links, without dragging other states down and sounding like a douche? Cause you really do come off as one.

It's understandable if someone were bad mouthing MN and you are coming to defend your home, which I understand cause I'm not even from here and do the same with Illinois, but in this case nobody was and you're post is just rude.

And as I stated, this state isn't all glitter and gold and you'd be doing yourself a favor in realizing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota