Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 02:35 PM

91 posts, read 389,537 times

Advertisements

How many people in Minnesota miss the drive in theaters? I wonder if the drive in theaters exist anymore, where you could load up your car, with family or friends, your best girl or guy, and as the weather gets warmer, spend it outdoors watching a movie. I have many fond memories of the
drive in theaters.I took my first date to a drive in theater back in my high school days. I'm curious to know what your memories are of the drive in
theaters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 03:25 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laplander View Post
How many people in Minnesota miss the drive in theaters? I wonder if the drive in theaters exist anymore, where you could load up your car, with family or friends, your best girl or guy, and as the weather gets warmer, spend it outdoors watching a movie. I have many fond memories of the
drive in theaters.I took my first date to a drive in theater back in my high school days. I'm curious to know what your memories are of the drive in
theaters.
I think the one in Luverne is still open...

Old 03-22-2008, 05:43 PM

31 posts, read 106,846 times
Kind of ashame the majority of kids these days will not
experience the DRIVE IN.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:51 PM

36 posts, read 183,016 times
Drive-Ins are a blast!!! Me & my wife go to the one in Woodbury, right off of I-94 east of the outlet malls. They start at sundown, play 3 movies, usually ends around 2 or 3 AM. $7.50 a person I think. We try to go at least once a month, very very fun!!!! We bought a lil smoky joe grill just for the drive in, can't wait to use it this year!! Heres a map, its the white colored fan shape thingy in the middle:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182/98yukon/1.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-22-2008, 09:36 PM

They are a blast, we used to go to the one in New Ulm, I believe it was called the starlight Drive In, but it has been closed for years. The Starlight used to have all night
movies, it was great. I ripped off a speaker or two forgetting they were still attached as i drove off.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:59 PM

501 posts, read 1,945,730 times
65 HI Drive In (Blaine)
Cottage View Drive In (Cottage Grove)
Vali HI Drive In (Lake Elmo)
Starlite Drive In (Litchfield)
Long Drive In (Long Prairie)
Verne Drive In (Luverne)
Sky View Drive In (Marshall)

I had no idea there were so many around here...I'm going to have to make a trip out once it gets a little warmer. Friends of ours go to the one in Cottage Grove with their daughter pretty frequently and they like getting to watch one with her, one alone and sometimes if they can stay awake long enough, they get 3rd as well.

Beats going to the regular theater that's for sure<~$$$$$$!

Old 03-22-2008, 10:11 PM

I didn't realize how many still exist, I thought drive in theaters have faded away, although their isn't near as many as when I was growing up, I feel good that the young people will have a chance to see what it's like to watch a movie under the stars, instead of being inside watching t.v. or doing video games.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:17 AM

36 posts, read 183,016 times
FYI, the one I mapped is the Vali-Hi Drive in, their # is 651-436-7464 They list what movies they are playing on the recorded phone message, changes every Friday I think.
-bobby

Old 03-24-2008, 02:45 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNative View Post
65 HI Drive In (Blaine)
Cottage View Drive In (Cottage Grove)
Vali HI Drive In (Lake Elmo)
Starlite Drive In (Litchfield)
Long Drive In (Long Prairie)
Verne Drive In (Luverne)
Sky View Drive In (Marshall)

I had no idea there were so many around here...I'm going to have to make a trip out once it gets a little warmer. Friends of ours go to the one in Cottage Grove with their daughter pretty frequently and they like getting to watch one with her, one alone and sometimes if they can stay awake long enough, they get 3rd as well.

Beats going to the regular theater that's for sure<~$$$$$$!
I don't know if this list is accurate. I know that the Sky View Drive In in Marshall is now a housing development. There is no drive in in Marshall anywhere.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:06 PM

501 posts, read 1,945,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I don't know if this list is accurate. I know that the Sky View Drive In in Marshall is now a housing development. There is no drive in in Marshall anywhere.
I guess I assumed it was accurate...it is from a website that lists drive in movies that I found by typing "drive in, mn" in a google search...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota