U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2018, 02:18 PM

5 posts, read 4,434 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer in St. Cloud. I grew up in IL, moved to Iowa for college, and now live in a medium-sized city. My wife is from our current town and so she is not excited about the prospect of moving, although if we do it should be now before our two children are in school. It's hard enough making friends in your 30's so we are concerned we may move and then not know anyone, especially if we don't get involved in the community right away, and be stuck in a community we are not familiar with.

I really like the culture of the Twin Cities and was wondering a few things...

Is St Cloud like the Twin Cities at all or is it mostly a rural mindset?

I see hosing prices are pretty decent there (compared to Chicago or Twin Cities). Where are the best neighborhoods for a young family? We'd prefer a more walkable neighborhood but understand that's not possible in all cities. Are there safe, attractive, walkable neighborhoods in the area? If not, which area is best?

My wife is a teacher. Are the school districts around the area good **for teachers**? Are they hiring? Would they hire someone from out of state who just got a MN teaching license?

If the job doesn't work out are there other opportunities in the area? Not specific to my field, just in general for people with college+ education?

Are there any non-chain restaurants/shops/etc in the area?

Are people in the area connected to one another? Are there community events, community groups, bike clubs, etc that are open to new people?

Finally, what is the commute like to the Twin Cities if we decided to live there? If not, is it close enough to drive down for the day on the weekends or even a weekday?

Anything else I should know?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 07:34 AM

2,471 posts, read 1,781,906 times
Hopefully someone who lives in St. Cloud can chime in here and help you with your specifics. My personal opinion is that St. Cloud is not a similar culture to the twin cities. It is much more rural and blue collar in nature. Contrast that to Rochester MN (similar in metro size and distance from the cities), which is much more white collar, and is also thriving with more growth.

St. Cloud to me is not a charming small city. Other college cities I have been to like Madison, Iowa City, and Charlottesville are all much more charming. Once again, I'm not an expert here, I have just been to St. Cloud several times over the years for BBall tournaments, speaking at the college, visiting a friend, passing through, etc.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Hopefully someone who lives in St. Cloud can chime in here and help you with your specifics. My personal opinion is that St. Cloud is not a similar culture to the twin cities. It is much more rural and blue collar in nature. Contrast that to Rochester MN (similar in metro size and distance from the cities), which is much more white collar, and is also thriving with more growth.

St. Cloud to me is not a charming small city. Other college cities I have been to like Madison, Iowa City, and Charlottesville are all much more charming. Once again, I'm not an expert here, I have just been to St. Cloud several times over the years for BBall tournaments, speaking at the college, visiting a friend, passing through, etc.
Thank you. I've never been to St Cloud and I kind of assumed it was a nice medium-sized city with all the energy of a college town. I have lived in a "blue collar town" and definitely know it's a much more unique vibe that I don't always fit in with. ON the other hand, I've found wealthier areas to be more uppity - and I'm not uppity. It looks like St Cloud is growing in population which makes me think that's a good thing

Old 03-23-2018, 03:45 PM

I declined the job offer. The honest truth is I'm not 100% white and everything, EVERYTHING, everything I read online said St Cloud was the most racist city in Minnesota.

If it's not the most racist city in Minnesota that the city/community PR folks need to do a better job countering that attitude.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:05 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,533,944 times
It is indeed racist. It's also a terrible city and don't move there from the Twin Cities expecting it to be the same or better or nicer. Schools are terrible and I see more news stories on my Facebook newsfeed of crime there then I do about crime in the Twin Cities.

I lived there for 5 years from 2008 til 2013 when I moved to the Twin Cities and moving to the Twin Cities has been the best decision I have ever made in my life. Every time I go back to St Cloud to visit my family I want to scream just driving through the city. I always think maybe it's not as bad as I remember it, but every time I return it's even worse then I remember.

I don't have an issue going grocery shopping in Brooklyn Center in the middle of the night but being outside in St Cloud at night scares me, I feel much safer in Brooklyn Center which is just insane.

And housing prices are based on location and supply and demand. My grandma pays under $400 for a 2 bedroom apartment in a town called Wabasso in Southwest Minnesota between Redwood Falls and Marshall, and yet you could never pay me to live out there in the middle of nowhere. Theres a reason San Francisco and Manhattan are as expensive as they are, and not only that but vacancy rates in those two cities are in the low single digit percentages. They have no issue renting places at ridiculous prices in those cities.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:16 PM

3,336 posts, read 4,324,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
And housing prices are based on location and supply and demand. My grandma pays under $400 for a 2 bedroom apartment in a town called Wabasso in Southwest Minnesota between Redwood Falls and Marshall, and yet you could never pay me to live out there in the middle of nowhere. Theres a reason San Francisco and Manhattan are as expensive as they are, and not only that but vacancy rates in those two cities are in the low single digit percentages. They have no issue renting places at ridiculous prices in those cities.
Wow. Comparing Wabasso to San Francisco and Manhattan. Ya know, there might be a few cities somewhere in between those two extremes.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:07 AM

134 posts, read 90,385 times
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend St. Cloud as a place to live. I lived there for two years (2011-2013) and watched the bad crime get worse, didn't feel like it offered much as a place and decided to leave. It is a lot more of a close minded small midwest city unlike the twin cities, with pretty nasty crime problems, and yeah - I think the most racist city in MN is a deserved title. The quarries are a really fun spot, Munsinger gardens are nice, and there are some nice areas along the river. SCSU can be a good school, as long as you don't fall into the party scene and drop out which is what quite a few people end up doing there. Other than that, St. Cloud is basically a black hole in my honest opinion.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:40 AM

779 posts, read 314,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_reynolds View Post
I declined the job offer. The honest truth is I'm not 100% white and everything, EVERYTHING, everything I read online said St Cloud was the most racist city in Minnesota.

If it's not the most racist city in Minnesota that the city/community PR folks need to do a better job countering that attitude.
You probably made the correct call. St. Cloud has a long and storied history of racism going back decades. Not that a lot of MN and the US doesn't as well, but St. Cloud seems to have a special place for racial intolerance.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:20 PM

201 posts, read 342,887 times
racism exists everywhere and in all formats. look whats happening to the white people in south africa. And how would you expect a predominantly white homogenous society to react to adding a 1/3 of its population in somali refugee muslims that we were just fighting a few years ago. Im mixed race myself but im not some leftist idiot like alot of people who think whites are the only ones who are racist. aside from that st cloud is definitely a **** hole stay away but its not because of "racism".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota