Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 10:58 AM

74 posts, read 118,837 times

Advertisements

Golfgal, you made me giggle with the mall comment. To be honest, I would rather not be to close to it. My children are a bit spoiled and we are trying to reverse the damage before its to late. Being to close to a huge mall will make my job much harder. Well I say children but I really mean my oldest daughter. You know how that first girl can get treated after having 2 boys.
I have looked at Cannon Falls a little. I still have to do some looking into the schools and such for the towns I am liking. The bigger towns stress me out a little. The thought of having to find a home in a place to large will to me make it hard to figure out what is a good area versus a bad one. With no first hand knowledge that can be stressful. I know I haven't mentioned it before but for the first year or two I will be moving up there without my husband. It will be just my girls and I. You see when I say I need to move out of Nola I am serious. It is soooo dangerous here. My husband is stuck here due to his job. He will be able to leave in a couple years. That is why I was manly looking into towns that were small is relatively no violent crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 11:19 AM

Kayekaye, really? I have read on these forums a few times that the south and north is an average of 20 degree difference. One said that the north get -40 while the south rarely gets to -10. This is a bunch of separate post that have been pieced together. It is just how I understood it.
The gardening thing isn't an issue for me at all. I couldn't grow a cactus in the desert!
Having health food options is really important to me. Where I live food is the main focus of everything. Bad foods are eaten like we will live forever with no consequence for our bad choices. That being the case, I have 2 sisters that have had minor strokes, 1 that has had stents placed in her neck and arms, my mother has had strokes, and my father heart attacks and cancer. I am the baby of the family, so I have watched this thinking what are we doing wrong? With much research I realized that it is our eating habits. I changed the way we eat 6 months ago and will never go back. I still have a good 50 extra pounds to lose but going strong. It does seem that Minnesota has a lot more options for this lifestyle than we do here. That excites me! I am looked at like a nut for not eating foods that you find at Walmart here. I just now know my gene pool doesn't want it in my body. LOl

Old 06-27-2013, 12:58 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,017,241 times
Kayekaye seemed to be referring to southern Minnesota versus the metro. But since the metro area is already situated closer to south than the north, the climate isn't all that different. Now take a city like Austin (Minn.) and compare it to International Falls and yes, you'll definitely see a climate change. But from Minneapolis to Austin is a much smaller change.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:32 PM

Xandrex, thanks for clearing that up for me. I was thinking of the state as north, central, and south. So when she said north I wasn't thinking of the metro area but further up.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:35 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,451,107 times
Interesting. I went looking for temperature averages for Duluth vs. Minneapolis. January average high for Duluth is 21 and for Mpls is 24. Average low is 2 for Duluth and 7 for Minneapolis. Somehow I thought the difference would be greater. Maybe I should have looked at Biwabick or Warroad. Of course, these numbers aren't counting wind chill. Lake Superior could have some piercing winds in January.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:22 PM

Maybe there are just a few on the board that are either simply exaggerating or trying to steer transplants away from their home towns.
Duluth is where I thought they were talking about. I do believe the conversation was comparing Duluth and Winona.
I will probably stay around the bottom portion of the state anyway. That would put me 19 hours or so away from any family. I do believe that is extreme enough without adding the extra miles. hehe I honestly wish I could go now instead of having to wait. The thought of another school year here is nauseating. Maybe I will hit that lottery soon! (Hey, a girl can dream right?)

Old 06-30-2013, 10:09 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,375,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyformajorchange View Post
CSD610, come to Louisiana when the temps hit 45 or lower. Which is rare, but people around here get in full winter gear when it does. I'm talking layered pants, gloves, scarfs, hats, thick coats with sweaters under, and boots. It makes me giggle to see.
45 is balmy parts of the year here. Then it's time to break out the grill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, I'm from Michigan, we had winters to rival anything Minnesota could have. I know what cold is! I always wore the full regala---coat, hat, boots, gloves, because we WALKED to and from school. Even when I took the bus, (city bus) it was about half a mile hike to the bus, then several blocks from the bus home. Enough to feel the cold!

I remember my parents watching little kids walking to school in the winter, with nothing but thin socks and tennis shoes, no hats, no gloves, their little hands literally blue from cold..........whatever!

IMO, its partly because we coddle kids nowadays. They go from heated cars to heated buildings, why bother with bundling up? Another reason is peer pressure. Another reason is drug usage----it changes a person's metabolism so they don't feel the cold.

Parents, just make sure to buy the "appropriate" winter clothing, keep receipts, perhaps take pictures, then, you are ready when the social workers come nosing around wanting to know why your kids aren't dressed appropriately for the weather.
Ever been to Northern Minnesota - Iron Range during February? There is no place colder in the lower 48, other than maybe ND. The Twin Cities seems to be the cutoff as well - anything north of the TC seems to start really dropping big time immediately, at least North Branch and further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota