Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 09:56 AM

5 posts, read 4,530 times

Advertisements

Is there anybody moving from Minneapolis to Bay area ? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 04:37 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,736 times
I would not. I do not live in Minneapolis though. Minnesota is way better. Have never been to the Bay Area, but it is better here, the weather is a lot nicer year round, less crime, more lakes.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:39 PM

31 posts, read 36,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshMN View Post
Is there anybody moving from Minneapolis to Bay area ? What do you think?
Very expensive!

Old 04-30-2018, 04:43 PM

You can also read this article:

Why people are leaving the San Francisco Bay Area - Business Insider

Old 04-30-2018, 05:35 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
And a handy map!
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...472430013.html

Old 05-01-2018, 07:34 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
I have not, but I was recently recruited by a large F100 company to move to the bay area, so I researched it heavily. They were offering a ton of money, but it still wasn't enough to increase my standard of living. Basically my family would have had to downgrade to a 1,500 sqf apartment for $3,000/mo and put still put up with a long commute.

I think the pros are the weather and proximity to natural beauty. But the cons are: homelessness, gangs, extreme cost of living, high taxes, earthquake fault line, water shortages, mediocre schools, traffic, and transient residents. Also, I won't get into politics other than to say it is extremely liberal, and you will either love that or hate that depending on where you stand personally.

In summary, I think if you were single w/o kids, it could be great for a season of adventure. But other than that, I think it would make for a tough place to live. The story I heard over and over is that the people that moved there even 10 or 15 years ago couldn't afford to do it again. I have a college friend who is married w/o kids who moved there 2 years ago to work for Google. He loved the adventure, and I see weekly pics of him and his wife exploring Napa, hiking, ocean trips, etc. But he also called me last weekend to tell me he wants to move back home and start a family, he asked if I knew of any jobs in his field.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:57 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
It’s my pipe dream to move to SF but I think others have pointed out the obvious deterrents, which are the prohibitive cost of living and the filthiness in parts of the city, which is brought on by the huge homeless population. Minnesota is so clean and that is something residents often take for granted.

That being said, I love San Francisco. And as soon as I win the lottery I’ll be ready to pack up and move there!

Old 05-01-2018, 09:57 AM

162 posts, read 155,340 times
I also would love to move there at some point to change things up for a while. Have you visited San Francisco, OP? I love a lot of things about it out there: I like the ocean being right there, the big hills/mountains in the area, architecture, the overall density and general built environment, to name a few. You should definitely visit if you haven't.

As was noted by others, it is extremely expensive, so I wouldn't recommend doing it without having a very good job offer before moving. And despite the great things about SF, it isn't without its problems so don't be surprised. For one, it is a place where you have to watch your step on the sidewalk in some parts of town for homeless people or human feces...

I'd love to move there for a while if I had a really good job lined up, and I wouldn't advise moving there unless you have a really good one lined up either. Expect to pay at least 3x more money for a smaller apartment/house than what you're used to here. And go visit if you haven't!

Old 05-01-2018, 10:48 AM

CA in general is becoming a s**t hole, this place was very nice decades ago, not anymore. Like what other said earlier, there's a lot of homeless and crimes, people are desperate to survive.

I talked to a lot of people here and most of them want to leave CA. I am actually moving back to Minneapolis after living here for 7 months. I rather have the MN winter than to become financially miserable. Some of the homeless people here were middle class professionals who lost everything, scary. This place is also a danger zone, wildfires and earthquake, again, I'll take the MN winter.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:02 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
I think moving to SF would be a wise move as long as it's Sioux Falls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: