U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 10:26 PM

9 posts, read 5,347 times

Advertisements

I’m one of those Texans relocating to MN soon. I’m a respiratory therapist so finding an area with a good amount of hospitals is a must. My husband will be in law enforcement, so we’re looking for a nice area to live in until his duty station is assigned. I know rent is high in the twin cities, but I need a 3 bedroom house or apartment.
Is Rochester a good area, or less expensive than TC? I’d love to work there but the rent is a lot even though my pay will increase a lot compared to Texas
Are there areas outside the twin cities that are more affordable? I’m willing to pay $1500-1700 a month for a place if I have to.
How is the commute to the city? I’m used to driving in Austin traffic and I’ve driven in the winter traffic of upstate NY.
Is the Mayo Clinic a hospital that hires often?
Are there new construction homes available anywhere, as far as builders and upcoming neighborhoods?

Thank you,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 10:29 PM

2,273 posts, read 1,616,130 times
Rochester is a good, growing, and affordable area. Sounds like a great fit for your family. From a things to do perspective, it's no twin cities though.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:39 PM

What about shopping, movies, or things for kids to do?

Old 07-31-2018, 06:15 AM

2,273 posts, read 1,616,130 times
I thinks it's more than adequate, with 1 or 2 of most most retail and restaurants you could ask for. There is even a small children's museum as well. And if need be The twin cities are just 75 minutes away.

It is a very prosperous city as Mayo pays well, and the cost of living is super cheap as the city has tons of land to grow. I also know some people that choose to live half way (Cannon falls being one example). That's not my cup of tea, but a strong option nonetheless.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:14 AM

4,966 posts, read 12,566,657 times
Check out St. Paul for Hospitals. You could find a rental in Cottage Grove, Hastings, Hudson, WI (those would be some of the cheaper places with a decent commute).

Old 07-31-2018, 01:57 PM

6,182 posts, read 5,802,280 times
You could find employment in the healthcare field just about anywhere in Minnesota. Good career choice!

You have lots of wonderful options in Minnesota.

Rochester is a really nice, clean, safe, interesting small city. Your kids would have a lot of fun things to do there. I'd recommend that you look at the small towns to the SE of Rochester for affordability and natural beauty. The Mayo Shuttle runs daily to many of the surrounding small towns and will make your life easy. I have read that people don't like the shift work at the Mayo, though, so that is something to find out about.

If you can tolerate cold, Duluth is also a nice city, though somewhat more expensive than Rochester. Lots of natural beauty there, with plenty of hunting and fishing and hiking and canoeing/kayaking. Duluth is the health care center for a large surrounding region.

I like Mankato a lot. It is smaller than Rochester, and more hilly. The University dominates the town, but farmland surrounds the city, and it is a nice mix. Winona is another really nice town.

Don't even think about moving to anywhere in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metropolitan area if you want to be able keep your money for investment or enjoyment of a nice lifestyle. It is a very, very expensive area in which to live. As someone who used to live in Texas myself, I would never in a billion years choose the unaffordable, poor quality of life in Minneapolis/St. Paul over all the other options in Minnesota, unless you just LIKE spending most of your time in your car fighting traffic, spending most of your money on housing, and spending much of your time worrying about crime.

In case you haven't found this yet, here is the job website for Minnesota: https://www.minnesotaworks.net/ As you can see, there are a lot of healthcare job openings.

If you don't mind looking a little further west, Sioux Falls SD is a health care center for a large region and has the advantage of being in a state with no state income tax, just like Texas. It is a very affordable city, and in lifestyle is somewhat comparable to Rochester. Sioux Falls is booming right now and you could easily find work. Rapid City is also a nice growing small city with many job openings in health care. Here is the job search website for South Dakota: https://www.southdakotaworks.org/vosnet/Default.aspx

Good luck!

Old 07-31-2018, 07:36 PM

Thanks for all the info! Are there new construction homes or neighborhoods going up in Rochester or other areas? I’d heard Duluth is nice but slow for housing and not many options.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:50 AM

5,678 posts, read 6,259,028 times
Regarding post #6 above, the cost of living in the Twin Cities is higher but so are wages. In the end it’s a push. Traffic can be bad or it can be a big nothing burger depending on your commute and hours. Also, except for a few isolated areas where you aren’t going to live anyway, it’s a very low crime area.

Some people prefer the more laid back pace of a smaller area, while others find it boring. Some are drawn to the amenities and activities in the Cities, while others find it too hectic.

You know what’s right for you, so go with your instincts.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:22 AM

4,966 posts, read 12,566,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
You could find employment in the healthcare field just about anywhere in Minnesota. Good career choice!

You have lots of wonderful options in Minnesota.

Rochester is a really nice, clean, safe, interesting small city. Your kids would have a lot of fun things to do there. I'd recommend that you look at the small towns to the SE of Rochester for affordability and natural beauty. The Mayo Shuttle runs daily to many of the surrounding small towns and will make your life easy. I have read that people don't like the shift work at the Mayo, though, so that is something to find out about.

If you can tolerate cold, Duluth is also a nice city, though somewhat more expensive than Rochester. Lots of natural beauty there, with plenty of hunting and fishing and hiking and canoeing/kayaking. Duluth is the health care center for a large surrounding region.

I like Mankato a lot. It is smaller than Rochester, and more hilly. The University dominates the town, but farmland surrounds the city, and it is a nice mix. Winona is another really nice town.

Don't even think about moving to anywhere in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metropolitan area if you want to be able keep your money for investment or enjoyment of a nice lifestyle. It is a very, very expensive area in which to live. As someone who used to live in Texas myself, I would never in a billion years choose the unaffordable, poor quality of life in Minneapolis/St. Paul over all the other options in Minnesota, unless you just LIKE spending most of your time in your car fighting traffic, spending most of your money on housing, and spending much of your time worrying about crime.

In case you haven't found this yet, here is the job website for Minnesota: https://www.minnesotaworks.net/ As you can see, there are a lot of healthcare job openings.

If you don't mind looking a little further west, Sioux Falls SD is a health care center for a large region and has the advantage of being in a state with no state income tax, just like Texas. It is a very affordable city, and in lifestyle is somewhat comparable to Rochester. Sioux Falls is booming right now and you could easily find work. Rapid City is also a nice growing small city with many job openings in health care. Here is the job search website for South Dakota: https://www.southdakotaworks.org/vosnet/Default.aspx

Good luck!
The cost of living in the MPLS/St. Paul suburbs is not "very very expensive", there is minimal crime and if you live on the SE side like I mentioned (Hastings, Cottage Grove, Inver Grove Heights) and commute to St. Paul, traffic is not too bad. The job opportunities and pay vs. COL in the metro is one of the best in the country imo. My wife is a RN in St. Paul and I don't think her rate of pay compared to COL can be beat. Anywhere that pays as much or more would have a much higher COL.

And "poor quality of life in MPLS/St. Paul"....very few people would agree with that.

Rapid City, SD would probably pay about 1/2 of what a job here pays.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:12 AM

1,082 posts, read 647,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambubaggins View Post
Thanks for all the info! Are there new construction homes or neighborhoods going up in Rochester or other areas? I’d heard Duluth is nice but slow for housing and not many options.
Duluth proper maintains a relatively old housing stock. There are a lot of homes on the market within that selection, but new houses are rare. That is good if you like old houses and like bad if you want new construction. The city was pretty much built out 100 years ago. The surrounding towns (e.g. Hermantown, Esko) field a better selection of newer houses, but then distance and city amenities are less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota