Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 08:34 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,676,651 times

Advertisements

We moved to Minnesota about a year ago and had plans to move to a small town ourselves, away from the hustle and bustle of the Twin Cities. We ended up near Minneapolis and don't regret it one bit. Housing and jobs are harder to come by than we were used to in Texas. Most people here are comfortable in their social circles and not necessarily looking to expand their circle of friends. Looking back, I can't imagine having moved to a small town not knowing anyone. Minneapolis is a small city as it is and once you get about 20-30 miles out you are in small-town territory anyway. I'd consider some more smaller towns or suburbs near Minneapolis/St. Paul. Anyway, just my recommendation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 08:18 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,443,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
We moved to Minnesota about a year ago and had plans to move to a small town ourselves, away from the hustle and bustle of the Twin Cities. We ended up near Minneapolis and don't regret it one bit. Housing and jobs are harder to come by than we were used to in Texas. Most people here are comfortable in their social circles and not necessarily looking to expand their circle of friends. Looking back, I can't imagine having moved to a small town not knowing anyone. Minneapolis is a small city as it is and once you get about 20-30 miles out you are in small-town territory anyway. I'd consider some more smaller towns or suburbs near Minneapolis/St. Paul. Anyway, just my recommendation.
We also moved here from Texas (DFW) a year and a half ago, and this post seems like a fairly accurate assessment. We were originally slated to land in Mankato or Rochester, but wound up in the southern burbs of the cities. It turned out to be a very good fit for us, except that we grew to like it and then wound up moving to the far northern side of the metro so we could buy a home (much cheaper up here). TXRunner is right when they say it doesn't take long to get into small town territory outside of the cities, especially on our side (north) of town. Cambridge is only 45 minutes from the cities, but it feels like a lot further away. We're 100% small town USA here.

I initially scoffed at the whole idea that people were comfortable in their own circles and were slow to let you in, but I must say that I've found that to be fairly accurate as well. Not that people are mean or rude.....quite the contrary. They're just comfortable with their world, so to speak. Some darn nice folks in these parts and I very much hope to make friends with many of them.

As for Minneapolis (and St. Paul) they aren't "small" cities, but they're definitely smaller than mega metros like DFW and Houston, and I'm guessing that's what TXRunner was trying to convey.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:39 AM

561 posts, read 324,084 times
Blue Earth is near Mankato which is a nice sized town with pretty much everything you'd want for shopping or restauraunts. It's also right along the I90 corridor which tends to be a dividing line as far as winter weather goes. Road closures and white outs are frequent in winter because it's wide open farmland for as far as you can see. Scenery is non existant unless you're into corn or bean fields. I live in Albert Lea which is right at the junction of 90 and 35. We're a little over an hour from Mankato, Rochester or the south Metro. Given the choice I would pick the Mankato area over Rochester or the metro but that's me. Rochester is crazy expensive housing and it's all about Mayo Clinic. The metro of course will have more entertainment like concerts, sports, etc if that's important to you. Mankato recently had Verizon close down their call center so I've heard the job market is tight. It's also a large campus for Minnesota State so it's a college town if that's a factor to you. Vikings summer training camp I believe is held there as well.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
Rochester is crazy expensive housing
You serious? Crazy expensive? Rochester?

Quote:
It's also a large campus for Minnesota State so it's a college town if that's a factor to you. Vikings summer training camp I believe is held there as well
Not anymore. Training camp is now held at the TCO Performance Center in Eagan.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:21 PM

6,541 posts, read 7,124,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
You serious? Crazy expensive? Rochester?

Not anymore. Training camp is now held at the TCO Performance Center in Eagan.
It’s all relative, compared to small towns it would be. I looked at homes online in Silver Bay and could get them for $50k. I found a house near Marquette, MI for $15k

Old 11-12-2018, 03:44 PM

561 posts, read 324,084 times
IMO, for what you get, it's expensive especially if you have to rent. Not as expensive as the metro areas but way out of line for what's down here as far as amenities.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
It’s all relative, compared to small towns it would be. I looked at homes online in Silver Bay and could get them for $50k. I found a house near Marquette, MI for $15k

Ok, well if you're in the market for $15k and $50k homes I guess I can't argue with that. Happy hunting!

Old 11-16-2018, 04:41 PM

6,541 posts, read 7,124,380 times
Quote:
Ok, well if you're in the market for $15k and $50k homes I guess I can't argue with that. Happy hunting!
I only briefly looked at Silver Bay purely as a owner rental standpoint. I follow real estate as a hobby, it’s interesting what prices of places change once you leave the cities and resort towns.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:35 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
A resort area will have more expensive prices for land then that. I'm looking at a parcel in Vilas County, WI at 5.5 acres for $35K. That is a bargain compared to the Lakes Region of NH where 1 acre with no buildings often go for $20K near Lake Winnipesaukee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota