Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2018, 06:33 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,235 times

Advertisements

What a pleasure - more than that, a privilege - to live in a state that encourages voting, that understands the importance of expanding and not limiting civic engagement.

Minnesota is routinely ranked at the top of all fifty states in terms of voter turnout. It is no coincidence that a state with a highly engaged electorate ranks high in terms of a wide variety of quality-of-life metrics. One follows from the other.

So get out there and vote!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 07:07 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,105 times
Definitely research and vote. It is good for society.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:39 PM

512 posts, read 474,244 times
Good for you. The TC Metro will always keep the state blue despite the GOP picking up two U.S. House seats in rural Minnesota.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
Good for you. The TC Metro will always keep the state blue despite the GOP picking up two U.S. House seats in rural Minnesota.
8th District is big tent, not categorically rural. It has a little bit of everything.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:18 AM

542 posts, read 448,202 times
I voted 8 times!!!! I carried 8 different boxes of cereal to disguise myself.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:37 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
I voted 8 times!!!! I carried 8 different boxes of cereal to disguise myself.
I bought Cheerios this morning and then went back and grabbed some Raisin Bran this afternoon! They didn't require ID either time! The system is broken! Sad!

Old 11-28-2018, 01:54 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,707,461 times
Quote:
MN-7 will - or would - very likely flip to the GOP at some point, because it has become increasingly Republican. Collin Peterson hangs on through the power of incumbency, and will probably be all right in 2020 because that's a Presidential election year. But the next time he faces a midterm when there's a Democrat in the White House, he'll be in trouble.

However, Minnesota is likely to lose a Congressional district after the 2020 census, so when 2022 rolls around it will probably have only seven districts. The map will thus change considerably, with all districts growing in size, at least per population. This is particularly true of MN-7 and MN-8, which have been the two slowest-growing districts 2010 census. Peterson's been in Congress since 1991, and every cycle he seems to consider retiring. If he doesn't decline to run in 2020, I would guess he will in 2022 when (if) the new MN-7 comes into being radically different than it is now (for one, it'll be a lot bigger).

It will be interesting to see how that all pans out.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:22 PM

512 posts, read 474,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
MN-7 will - or would - very likely flip to the GOP at some point, because it has become increasingly Republican. Collin Peterson hangs on through the power of incumbency, and will probably be all right in 2020 because that's a Presidential election year. But the next time he faces a midterm when there's a Democrat in the White House, he'll be in trouble.

However, Minnesota is likely to lose a Congressional district after the 2020 census, so when 2022 rolls around it will probably have only seven districts. The map will thus change considerably, with all districts growing in size, at least per population. This is particularly true of MN-7 and MN-8, which have been the two slowest-growing districts 2010 census. Peterson's been in Congress since 1991, and every cycle he seems to consider retiring. If he doesn't decline to run in 2020, I would guess he will in 2022 when (if) the new MN-7 comes into being radically different than it is now (for one, it'll be a lot bigger).

It will be interesting to see how that all pans out.
The TC Metro continues to get bluer and thus cancel out the increasingly red rural areas. I think flipping the Iron Range might be enough to tilt the state Red, but maybe not at the rate the Twin Cities metro is growing.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
The TC Metro continues to get bluer and thus cancel out the increasingly red rural areas. I think flipping the Iron Range might be enough to tilt the state Red, but maybe not at the rate the Twin Cities metro is growing.
The democrats could throw the Iron Rangers a bone to keep them calm, but I think the long term prospect is a gradual shift red-ward (word?). Democrats have to balance their environmental coalition with their union working class coalition, and mining is fairly opposite to environmentalism.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:20 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,707,461 times
Quote:
There are two different dynamics here.

One is statewide voting. There the DFL is clearly dominant, winning twenty consecutive statewide races (the last GOP win was Pawlenty in 2006). Of course, that includes some close races - Franken 2008, Dayton 2010, Clinton 2016 - so Republicans can be competitive, at least under certain circumstances. They weren't this last cycle, though.

The other is the balance of legislative districts. Here the GOP has an advantage that partly mitigates their statewide problem and that is that Democrats tend to be more concentrated in blue districts than Republicans are in red districts. For example, the reddest Congressional district in the state is MN-6, where Tom Emmer has gotten above 60% two elections in a row, and Republican presidential candidates routinely flirt with the 60% threshold. But in MN-4 (anchored on St. Paul) the DFL candidates do even better and in MN-5 (Minneapolis and surrounds) they usually get well above 70%. This phenomenon of urban districts being bluer than rural districts are red is a common one nationwide. So it is quite possible that statewide Minnesota could stay dominantly blue while the Congressional district breakdown ends up being just 4-to-3 for the DFL (in the event a seat is lost beginning in 2022).

On a related note, updated census bureau numbers are coming in strong for Minnesota.
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/1...house-congress
http://worldpopulationreview.com/states/

The state grew at a clip of 0.92% in 2017, behind only South Dakota (0.93%) in the Midwest and well ahead of any other states in the region (Nebraska was next at 0.65% - no other Midwestern state hit 0.50%). Interestingly, Minnesota is now within 200,000 of Wisconsin, a state that has always been more populous and usually by a margin of several hundred thousand.

Minnesota is still on the bubble as to whether or not it loses a Congressional seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota