Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2008, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 5,175 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My husband got a terrific job opportunity in Minneapolis. We currently live in Denver. My husband starts on July 7th. The company is providing us with two house hunting trips. He will be working in downtown Minneapolis. What neighborhoods do you recommend? I have a 5 yr. old daughter who is starting Kindergarden in the fall. So I want a great school district and a community with a lot of kids for her to play with. We have driven around Plymouth, Chaska, Minnetonka and Edina. Edina is a little too expensive for us. What school districts are good? Is Victoria too far from Downtown?

Thanks for your help,
Candie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 5,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug4233 View Post
Hi there,

My husband got a terrific job opportunity in Minneapolis. We currently live in Denver. My husband starts on July 7th. The company is providing us with two house hunting trips. He will be working in downtown Minneapolis. What neighborhoods do you recommend? I have a 5 yr. old daughter who is starting Kindergarden in the fall. So I want a great school district and a community with a lot of kids for her to play with. We have driven around Plymouth, Chaska, Minnetonka and Edina. Edina is a little too expensive for us. What school districts are good? Is Victoria too far from Downtown?

Thanks for your help,
Candie

Candie,

I think that Apple Valley is a great location, which is close to everything and not far from Minneapolis. My husband and I have a townhouse in Apple Valley for Rent or to Purchase if you are looking at that area.

Thanks and good luck.
Michelle

Old 05-31-2008, 08:39 AM

12 posts, read 39,620 times
I currently live in Plymouth and plan to stay here for a while. Plymouth is part of the Wayzata School district wich is one of the best here in town. In addition Plymouth has alot of young families wich will be great for your 5 y.o. to find friends very fast. Good Luck!!!

Old 05-31-2008, 09:44 AM

250 posts, read 991,543 times
Quote:
Hi there,

Thanks for your help,
Candie
For the area you're considering try Hopkins school district. It is a big district and encompasses parts of Golden Valley, Hopkins, Saint Louis Park, Minnetonka and Edina. (I know Edina might be a touch high but it is really expansive and there are some more affordable areas perhaps than where you've looked).

Also as someone mentioned above - Plymouth. That's close to these other areas as well with a relatively quick commute to downtown. Yes, Wayzata School Dist is good.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:16 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
Quote:
Hi there,

Thanks for your help,
Candie
You described most of the suburbs in Hennepin County, even parts of Mpls. proper. If you want an older, mature neighborhood with something like a main street, look into Hopkins, Excelsior. Southwest Mpls. is lovely, filled with kids and has great schools. If you want a newer suburb, Maple Grove or Eden Prairie are good. Chaska and Victoria are nice, but they get to be far from downtown. Victoria isn't particularly cheap either, esp. when you calculate about $5 to $8 worth of gas to get downtown and back. What sort of house are you looking for, and for what price?

Old 06-06-2008, 09:59 AM

54 posts, read 179,627 times
Someone posted about Apple Valley. It really is a very nice town, but commuting to Minneapolis from there is not pleasant. Stick to the western suburbs -- Plymouth is a very good suggestion. Good luck!

Old 06-06-2008, 12:26 PM

68 posts, read 276,814 times
try Lakeville. DR Horton neighborhood across from new HS, Chadwick Farm. TONS of kids and walking distance to top rated elementary school (#9 in state for math this year.) awesome community rated #4 best place to raise family on various surveys, downtown is so fun and the commute to Minneapolis isn't bad. Alot of people in the neighborhood do it without issue

Old 06-09-2008, 07:10 AM

1 posts, read 5,069 times
Hi Candie,

We too have just gone through a similar process - making the move from the Denver area to Minneapolis area and have done a reasonable amount of research of the school districts of the area as we also have a 5 year old getting ready for kindergarden.

We have narrowed down our search to the following school districts as they all have come up as the best in the area:

Eden Praire
Wayzata
Minnetonka
Edina

Also, the regional School House Magazine which lists all schools and their test scores may prove helpful.

I hope this helps and good luck with your move !

Old 06-09-2008, 07:38 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
All these districts are good and will give you what you want. Minnetonka and Edina are a bit older population and you won't see AS many young families. Plymouth will have more younger families. Don't rule out the south and east suburbs in your search. While they may seem farther out, they really aren't. Mahtomedi and Eagan are 2 of the top districts in the state. They are both the same distance from Minneapolis as Eden Prairie, 17 miles. Chaska is almost 27 miles from downtown Minneapolis, where as Apple Valley/Rosemount (Rosemount/Apple Valley/Eagan district is the top district in the state) area is only 19 miles and a MUCH easier commute then coming in from some of the western suburbs. Victoria is 27 miles out on a 4 lane road with several stoplights. It isn't the best commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota