U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2007, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 6,298 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have recently moved to the Minneapolis area and have been living in Eden Prairie for a very short time. I think Eden Prairie is a very nice area but we would like to explore other areas before we actually purchase a home. I would like to get some input on the areas of 50th and France and the Lake Harriet area. Is the Lake Harriet area part of Uptown? I have seen some less than complimentary thoughts on the Uptown area and was wondering if perhaps only certain area's of Uptown are not the most pleasant of places. I have only been around the immediate area where the Whole Foods is located where Lake Calhoun can be seen. Which appears to be a nice area. I would probably set the perameter as Dupont to the East, 394 to the North, 100 to the West and the 62 to the South. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 07:30 AM

66 posts, read 451,171 times
UPTOWN is only a relatively small area lyndale eastside to calhoun westside and about 26th north to 35th south the rest is other neighborhoods. The Whole Foods area is not uptown thats dang near st. louis park. 50th france is edina downtown area anywhere SW MPLS is better than the crap filled life in Eden Prairie. lake harriet is not UPTOWN

Old 01-08-2007, 04:08 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,483,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autonomous View Post
My husband and I have recently moved to the Minneapolis area and have been living in Eden Prairie for a very short time. I think Eden Prairie is a very nice area but we would like to explore other areas before we actually purchase a home. I would like to get some input on the areas of 50th and France and the Lake Harriet area. Is the Lake Harriet area part of Uptown? I have seen some less than complimentary thoughts on the Uptown area and was wondering if perhaps only certain area's of Uptown are not the most pleasant of places. I have only been around the immediate area where the Whole Foods is located where Lake Calhoun can be seen. Which appears to be a nice area. I would probably set the perameter as Dupont to the East, 394 to the North, 100 to the West and the 62 to the South. Thanks

From what I remember, 50th & France is a very nice neighbourhood with lots of funky little shops, a great cinema showing indie movies, and a Byerly's, some gorgeous housing, but it's EXPENSIVE. At least, it was for me. Also, it can get very congested with traffic, especially at the weekends, but if you live locally that shouldn't be an issue. I do know Lake Harriet is not considered Uptown. I'm more familiar with the Lake of the Isles area on that side of town, which is very residential, quiet and again a nice area for walking, running, biking, taking the dog out, etc.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:06 PM

70 posts, read 244,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autonomous View Post

Lake Harriet isn't considered part of Uptown. It's pretty nice. 50th and France is nicer, but lots more expensive. Eastern Edina is nice and not too expensive (east of Southdale). The area around Minnehaha Creek is nice (Minnehaha Parkway) too.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:06 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,620,462 times
Uptown is a nice, gentrified area. There is not much crime here. Certainly more than EP. It is only "dangerous" once you get closer to Nicollet. I'd say 2-3 muggings a week once you are east of Lyndale, not much violent crime west of Lyndale. Mostly old apts and some old houses. SFH will start at around 300,000 and get more expensive as you move toward the lake. Alot to do, great transportation. Swanky restaurants and very walkable. Linden Hills is the area around Harriet. Kids go to SW high school. (a great IB program). Very family orientated. Retail area on 43rd and Upton Ave. The most expensive area of the city, prob. as expensive as EP. Borroughs is on 50th and Jamesish. Top rated elem. Mostly 1920's and 30's bungalows that have been maintained nicely. Even some new const.. The area west of France is the border btwn Mpls and suburban Edina. A upscale area is around 50th street. Lots of little shops. A couple restaurants, a Lunds, 4 plex theater. Bank, etc. The Minneapolis side of France will cost you at least 350,000 minimum (for a 3bd, 2 bath 1800 ft bungalow) The same in Edina will run 650,000. Edina and Linden Hills have no crime to speak of. If these areas are too expensive, I would also look at Saint Louis Park, esp. along Excelsior Blvd. Some nice areas, Excel. Blvd has some good retail areas. Trans. to the city and close to Uptown. Good luck on your search.
----Minnehahapolitan

Old 05-09-2007, 02:26 PM

183 posts, read 931,414 times
$$$$ 50th $$$$$$ and $$$$$ France

Crazy expensive. In my opinion, you need to be in the top 1-2% of income earners to comfortably live there.

The advice on the Harriett and Linden Hills area is good, IMO.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:16 PM

433 posts, read 2,136,747 times
Uptown is for younger people. It is a vibrant, fun part of town. High rent, eclectic district. Couples and more mature people still live there, but they don't generally select the area for starting a family etc.

Lake Harriet/50th and France are very nice areas. Not quite the edge/vibe like the Hennepin/Lake area. Two different stations in life.

I would be hard-pressed to find a better urban neighborhood experience than Lake Harriet.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:00 PM

3 posts, read 22,767 times
The area North of Whole Foods is wonderful. I live 1/2 block S. of Cedar Lake. The official Mpls neighborhood name is Cedar-Isles-Dean. (My house is for sale right now, if you're interested.) But, in general, I can't recommend our neighborhood enough. We have a grass triangle in the middle of the neighborhood where neighbors congregate and children play/bike. There are weekly "Flamingo Parties" all summer long. It feels like a small town here. We've lived in the house for 8 years and still haven't gotten used to how lucky we feel here.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:35 PM

5,656 posts, read 13,619,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crannon View Post
The area North of Whole Foods is wonderful. I live 1/2 block S. of Cedar Lake. The official Mpls neighborhood name is Cedar-Isles-Dean. (My house is for sale right now, if you're interested.) But, in general, I can't recommend our neighborhood enough. We have a grass triangle in the middle of the neighborhood where neighbors congregate and children play/bike. There are weekly "Flamingo Parties" all summer long. It feels like a small town here. We've lived in the house for 8 years and still haven't gotten used to how lucky we feel here.
crannon--I know where you mean. I am happy to hear that this neighborhood is as great as it looks!

Old 05-17-2007, 05:57 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,056,487 times
Considering you wouldnt be able to get a house in Cedar-Isles-Dean for less than $500k, I would certainly hope a high quality of life comes with the hefty price tag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or