Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 02:06 PM

138 posts, read 370,501 times

Advertisements

Do they have fresh meat there? Or just frozen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 11:46 AM

292 posts, read 891,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert98 View Post
Do they have fresh meat there? Or just frozen?
They have fresh meat but not alot of choices of it. Mainly burger in I think 80/20 and 90/10, county ribs, round steak, pork chops, pork loin, turkey burger, some roasts and a few other things.
While Aldi's doesn't have alot of choices it's worth while to shop there. I was laid off last year so we switched to Aldi for the bulk of our shopping and we were able to cut 25% to 30% out of our food budget.
If you go give it a couple of tries. The first time that I went I wasn't real impressed and the differences between Aldi and other stores at first were a turn off. But after 4 or 5 times I began to really like it an now Cub and Rainbow feel odd to me.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:53 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,986,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
They sell a generic of the major brand for almost every product in the store. If you pick up a product and think, this looks just like Campbell's, it is. Most major brands sell a (generic). It is actually the name brand product labeled under the generic name.
Sure, it's generic - that's what generic is, just a matter of labelling.

Generics are invariably produced by companies with recognizable brands under contract for places like Aldi, which doesn't actually own a facility that makes soups or cereals or canned carrots.

Quote:
The funny thing is people think all the food is generic, its not. The magarine that looks exactly like Land o Lakes but is named different, guess what? It is the same product with different labeling. My aunt is a manager at Aldis and told me about the not so generic, generics.
Again, that's what generics are - items (say, bran flakes cereal) produced by a well-known corporation (say, General Mills) under contract for a place like Aldi or Cub or Rainbow. As such, you don't pay for the marketing of the brand (or, at least, you pay for a lot less marketing).

That's what a generic is.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:02 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
We have an Aldi's within walking distance from our house but we never shop there. The main reason for this is their lack of fresh product. Aldi's seems to have a sufficient amount of boxed, canned and frozen products but heavily lacks in areas such as deli, fresh produce, and baked goods. That is mainly what we buy so as a result we have very little use for Aldi's. Even what they do have I've found to be old and pretty gross. I recall going there once to take advantage of a good deal they had on tomatoes and I was really disappointed by them, they were overripe and unattractive in appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota