Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 03:25 AM

7 posts, read 33,373 times

Advertisements

Following my last thread, I feel much more comfortable with moving from France to Minneapolis area!
My question now is , how to best integrate my 2 sons at school (5 and 7) who don't speak English for the time being; I'll have them take lessons until we move next January, so they are more familiar with the language, but I would like to know if you had similar experience , and how you managed the school experience : Public schools look very good , but I'm afraid they will be lost during the first months, not understanding what the teacher asks for, and fthat they might feel lost ; French immersion school looks like a good opportunity for the first year, but I don't know if they will accept pupils in the middle of the year (I can't reach them, vacation period I guess); or other solution I haven't looked into yet ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 04:59 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Yes, schools are on break now so it is hit or miss getting ahold of someone. All of the public schools also have English as a Second Language, ESL, as well and if a non-English speaking student enrolls in school they offer assistance depending on the need of the child. Kids pick up languages so fast that I bet by January they will be fairly functional and might just need occasional help?? Taking French as a foreign language here is fairly common and you might just luck out and end up in a school where your kids' teacher speaks French too. Something to ask about when you decide where you want to live.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:51 AM

987 posts, read 3,818,703 times
We have English immersion schools here.

Sorry for being a wiseacre, but that's the whole concept of immersion schools. They'll be fine.

You can contact Alliance Francaise

Old 07-17-2008, 06:02 AM

114 posts, read 535,373 times
Default Learning English

Hi,

When our two oldest were small, we moved to Chile and they spoke no Spanish. We put them in to a Chilean pre-school and Kindergarten (they were 2 and 5 at the time) and they learned Spanish very, very quickly. Children are very adaptable and learn so quickly. The 'language of the playground' is where they will pick up the language quickly.

From Amazon (United Kingdom) you could purchase videos that are only in English with English subtitles, if possible. Buy some computer games that help with word/reading learning and you will be amazed at how quickly your children pick up reading and understanding. Start reading to your children from English language books. Try bed time stories or picture books. If the story is interesting enough they might be more inclined to listen and want to hear the next chapter. Look for play groups (you're in France, correct?) that might have some English speaking children in them. Find an English speaking family and make friends with them. See if you can swap babysitting time so that the children are able to play together, going back and forth in French and English, no doubt. Try to pick an organized time to speak to them in only English (perhaps at the dinner table?). Make it a fun family game, to practice your English together. Your English is obviously fluent (at least written) so you should be a good role model for your children. While it might feel strange to speak to your children in English, the more that you do it the more natural it will become. Even if they speak to you in French, continue to speak to them in English. Their comprehension will grow with time.

Kids are amazing little things. I've always been surprised at how quickly my children learned the new language for where we were living. It was always the 'language of the playground' that most motivated them to learn.

Mari

Old 07-17-2008, 06:44 AM

114 posts, read 535,373 times
Mersan,

I just read your old posts and saw some of the questions that you asked about hiring help. There is a web site called:
craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums

Look at the Minneapolis city listing for Craigslist. Do a search of 'babysitters' under the job section using "St. Paul" as your search criteria. It will give you an idea of whether babysitters are plentiful in the area that you plan to live.

You might also want to consider bringing a French au pair with you, to St. Paul. An au pair must be under 25 years (not sure of exact age) and should receive a visa fairly easily (assuming that he/she is a French citizen). You might qualify for bringing a domestic helper, dependent upon the type of visas that you and your husband are coming on. Bringing a French au pair with you would mean that you'd have help for your sons from day 1. You would have to provide room and board, minimul health insurance, air flight and the minimum salary (you could find all of this information by doing a google search of 'United States au pairs, rules and regulatins). Let me know if you need help with your search.

While having another 'adult' living in your home with you isn't ideal, it would give you some freedom and could make the experience of living in the United States more comfortable for your sons.. Perhaps you have a young niece or nephew who is good with your sons, who would like to have a little adventure in the United States, learning English too? Or maybe you currently hire a babysitter who adores your children and would be wonderful to take along, to experience your adventure?

I encourage you to place your sons directly in to an American public school. You are only going to be living in the U.S. for two years so you do want to make the most of the experience. You will be amazed at how quickly they pick up English. I would also consider placing them back one year in school. Instead of placing them with other 7-year olds, place your 7-year old son with 6-year olds (unless he is a very large child who would look out of place in such a class). It will mean that the academic subjects that your son is studying will be easy. He will already have mastered much of that subject material at school in France. That means that, rather than working on the school material and the English language, he needs to only focus on one weak area, English language.

We've moved many times, all overseas (my husband is an American diplomat). If you'd like to contact me off-line to ask more specific questions, please feel free.

Best of luck with your upcoming adventure.

Mari

Old 07-18-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Yes, schools are on break now so it is hit or miss getting ahold of someone. All of the public schools also have English as a Second Language, ESL, as well and if a non-English speaking student enrolls in school they offer assistance depending on the need of the child. Kids pick up languages so fast that I bet by January they will be fairly functional and might just need occasional help?? Taking French as a foreign language here is fairly common and you might just luck out and end up in a school where your kids' teacher speaks French too. Something to ask about when you decide where you want to live.
Actually, we we thinking of chosing the school first, and then find the place to live; but with all your comforting answer, I 'm started to think we should better find the good neighborhood , not too far from our office (located in St Paul, on Saint Peter St), and then send the kids to a public school ; my husbands will have to take the plane everu week, so what about Richfield, Bloomington, Cottage Groove cities ? Or is it better to focus on South Minneapolis ? I saw on one thread that Stillwater was recommended as a nice place to live, but it seems a bit far from St Paul

Old 07-18-2008, 09:28 AM

481 posts, read 1,817,445 times
School is going to be partially based on what your housing budget is - what are you willing to spend per month, and what are your expectations for what you want? Also, what kind of urban/suburban experience are you looking for?

I wouldn't recommend Richfield. I grew up there and its a great city, but its having some real problems transitioning from being a tiny post-war bedroom community full of WW II vets to being a "step up" community for low-skill immigrants and those escaping the bad parts of Minneapolis (and sometimes the bad parts follow them). It doesn't really have the resources or experience yet in adapting from a white working class monoculture to a diverse community. While the schools don't suck, Richfield is surrounded by communities with better schools and the demographic trends have been following that.

Check out the other posts here - just be aware that Golfgirl will try to get you into Rosemount, and Camden will try to get you into far north Minneapolis, and a lot of people will steer you into the western suburbs or southwest Minneapolis (excellent choices but you're going to be working in St. Paul). Depending on your budget, good choices east of the river are roseville, Lauderdale, Falcon Heights (closer in) and the southeastern suburbs like Apple Valley.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haver View Post
School is going to be partially based on what your housing budget is - what are you willing to spend per month, and what are your expectations for what you want? Also, what kind of urban/suburban experience are you looking for?
Our housing budget is 4000 $ per month (is that a big or a small amount for Mineesota ? For Paris suburbs, it's quite high for a 4 people family) ; we would like 4 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, a play room, high speed Internet; as for urban experience, we have lived in big French cities , and in small ones, and in both case we have enjoyed it, as long as we had a good neighborhood
What about the heating ? As I understood, winter can last quite long and be very cold, so what is best : gas or electric heating ?

Old 07-21-2008, 05:15 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
You should be able to pick pretty much any suburb with that budget. I would say it is on the high side but not the 'highest' you will find. I can't remember if you are renting or looking to buy a home. If you are renting, you will be able to find something nice for a lot less then that.

If you are working in downtown St. Paul, I wouldn't suggest going west of 35W, you are just making your commute difficult so I wouldn't go into Bloomington, S. Minneapolis, etc. Cottage Grove isn't high on my list of places to live. Although mileage-wise you might be closer to downtown, the commute isn't good. Stillwater, while farther, would be faster--especially when they finish the 694 project. It is 20 minutes now into downtown St. Paul from Stillwater.

Look into Eagan. That is a very easy commute to downtown St. Paul. Just make sure where ever you live is either in the Rosemount/Apple Valley/Eagan district or in the West St. Paul/Mendota Heights district. Both districts have great schools so that helps. It is also very close to the airport so it is an easy drive there as well.

The nice thing about MN is the list of 'stay away from' schools is very short.

As for heat, it really depends on what you end up with for a house. Some houses are better insulated then others. Which electric/gas company you end up with also makes a difference. I would plan $500/month for gas/electric. Gas heat is generally less expensive here then electric. Most houses you will find will have natural gas heat.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:05 AM

Thank you for those suggestions, I have narrowed again my field of researches
What about about Haver's suggestions of Roseville, Lauderdale, Falcon Heights ? Is it easy to commute to St Paul downtown from there ? It looks closer in distance
Eagan seems an ideal situation, with the International airport very close; but isn't it too noisy with the planes around ?
Another question : does a good school ensures a good neighborhood around ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota