Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 11:20 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times

Advertisements

If we want to fix obesity, and our problem with health care costs more broadly, then we should implement the findings from Dan Buettner's research.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t7RjIEQgUU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 01:26 PM

752 posts, read 566,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbygal View Post
"Love those stats. In comparisons Mn and Wa state are always within a few places from each other. Arts, education, architech, culture, rock, and so on. Fortune 500 stats, we place either two steps in front or two steps behind you guys. No wonder I still love Mn and yet live in Seattle Wa, I could never make up my mind to go back to retire there or stay here, what stops me is can I deal with the harsh winters again? Maybe I should make my Mn excursions each year in a winter season once and find out!"
I have extended family living in WA (Seattle and Richland), and we get along royally. Didn't see 'em much growing up, but they've been in town for a couple of weddings, and my brother and sister and I pretty much ignore the other guests and talk to the cousins the entire time. In fact, we even find ourselves rhetorically tag-teaming other folks (notably, one from IL and another from AZ) when they spout ignorant/bigoted BS. My aunt is originally from IA, and while I'm uncertain of the state-to-state migration patterns, I did notice that when I used the NY Times' dialect map, Seattle was one of my hot spots.

RE: Fortune 500's, I like this graphic:

Basically, MN has twice as many companies, but WA has a couple of real giants — Microsoft and Amazon, most notably — which give it a slightly larger aggregate market cap. Of course, market value ≠ profit; Amazon is more valuable than any outfit HQ'd in MN, but 14 MN firms are more profitable than Amazon.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:14 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
It is kind of ironic that some of the poorest states are the fattest.
Not really. They eat a lot of ****ty processed food because it is more affordable.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:29 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
Minnesota ranks fairly well on the list...the best in the Midwest. Better than any southern state. A little better than both Maryland (28) and Virginia (25), too. It is one notch better than Oregon (29) and also close to Washington (32). To be comparable to the Pacific Northwest and especially considering the colder winters is impressive.

Last edited by chessgeek; 08-22-2016 at 05:39 PM..

Old 08-22-2016, 08:26 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
Oops...correction: Minnesota is better than every southern state except Florida. Keep in mind there are a lot of transplants there from New York and some from Minnesota, too.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:19 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times
Do they also break it down by sex, race and age?. Does it tell what the average weight in pounds of say, 35-45 year old white women in Minnesota is compared to average weight of 35-45 year old white women in West Virginia and the average weight of 35-45 year old black women in Mississippi and 35-45 year old Hispanic women in Texas and 35-45 year old Asian women in Washington state.

It would be interesting to compare weights in pounds by states and sex and race and age group. It may not be politically correct to do that though, but it sure would be interesting, you must admit

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 08-22-2016 at 10:31 PM..

Old 08-22-2016, 10:47 PM

Notice the fatter the state, the tastier the food. Although, for tasty food, I'd put Texas in the top 5 along with Kentucky and Tennesse and replace Mississippi, Alabama and South Carolina. Texas food is definitely tastier than 15th place. Texas has the best bbq, the best TexMex, the best chicken fried steak, the best ice cream, the best sweet tea, the best breakfast tacos. Really, Texas is Number One when it comes to all around tasty food.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 08-22-2016 at 11:11 PM..

Old 08-22-2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It is less expensive to buy a bag of chips then it is to buy a bag of apples, sadly.
Yes. And they are cheaper than grapes, too. Shouldn't potato chips be the luxury item? I wonder why are junk foods so cheap compared to fresh fruit? It just don't seem right. If I hadn't got hooked on potato chips before I started kindergarten, I don't think I'd have had to of watched my weight as much as I have my whole life. Potato chips are still my favorite weakness. I can't resist them, especially when they come out with a new flavor . Potato chips and French onion chip dip, among my all time favorite top 10 foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota