Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 03:23 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Whatever, what difference do manners really make anyway? Life's about trying to be a good person, not trying to be a polite person. If you're good, people will gravitate towards you whether or not you're polite, that is if people are grown-up enough to see past the person's rudeness.
Well, at least you are not arguing that you are not rude. As to their value, manners are the lubricant that keeps the engine of society running smoothly. Life is hard enough without having to be around a bunch of obnoxious jerks.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:24 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Whatever, what difference do manners really make anyway? Life's about trying to be a good person, not trying to be a polite person. If you're good, people will gravitate towards you whether or not you're polite, that is if people are grown-up enough to see past the person's rudeness.
The attitudes about "manners" seem to vary quite a bit from region to region in the US, and even more so when you travel to other counties. In some societies, the above attitude could get you in rather serious trouble. This is one reason that Americans in general have a bad reputation in many countries.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Its not like it was a rude "HEY!" it was just a simple "hey"

If i was day dreaming and not paying attention when its my turn to order some food, id appreciate someone letting me know its my turn to order. just like if im daydreaming at a red light and i didnt know the light turned green, i would appreciate a honk from someone behind me.
It will be helpful to you in life to learn to be a little patient. Someday you will hope someone is patient with you. Besides, didn't your mother ever teach you, " 'Hey' is for horses"?

Old 12-28-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
It will be helpful to you in life to learn to be a little patient. Someday you will hope someone is patient with you. Besides, didn't your mother ever teach you, " 'Hey' is for horses"?
One of my aunts used to say, "'Hey' is what horses and cows eat"...

Old 12-28-2012, 03:35 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
I guess you obviously never had Panera Bread before?

Old 12-28-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The attitudes about "manners" seem to vary quite a bit from region to region in the US, and even more so when you travel to other counties. In some societies, the above attitude could get you in rather serious trouble. This is one reason that Americans in general have a bad reputation in many countries.
Why?
You should see some East Asian countries. somebody is in your way? just push them aside, no big deal.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Quote:
Why?
I'm an American. How would I know?

Quote:
You should see some East Asian countries. somebody is in your way? just push them aside, no big deal.
That may work for a time. I wouldn't know, since I personally wouldn't do that. *shrug*

Old 12-28-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Why?
And I can think of two Asian countries where that might land you in jail. I would advise against touching people in Singapore or Malaysia. But you are here, not East Asia or California, so you should behave accordingly.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
And I can think of two Asian countries where that might land you in jail. I would advise against touching people in Singapore or Malaysia. But you are here, not East Asia or California, so you should behave accordingly.
Its not always the best way to behave, especially behind the wheel when people slam on their breaks on the freeway to be nice and let someone in but ignoring the people behind them who understand the rules of the road.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Its not always the best way to behave, especially behind the wheel when people slam on their breaks on the freeway to be nice and let someone in but ignoring the people behind them who understand the rules of the road.
Significant unsolicited vector changes in traffic are bad. I let people in from time to time, but only if they're nice and ask via turn signal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota