U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-05-2008, 03:21 PM

11 posts, read 39,694 times

Advertisements

Does anybody knows of any lakes in the metro area or beyond where I can take my dog swimming? I have been to Minnehaha park but do not want to pay $60 a year for a permit, when I won't use it very often. Is there anywhere for a dog to swim that is free?
Any info is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 09:39 PM

960 posts, read 2,635,801 times
Medicine lake, at East Medicine Lake park, there's a little area marked "not for swimming" where I've seen many dogs enjoying themselves.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:38 PM

28 posts, read 59,960 times
I'm thinking you could get away with it at Moore lake, a bit after hours.

I used to have a dog and recall swimming with him there, years ago.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:50 PM

23 posts, read 50,773 times
Lake Harriet in Minneapolis.. I've seen plenty of dogs swim there but not on the beach part. More on the side where all the trees are. Im positive that you can bring your dog to that lake.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 10,224 times
White Bear Lake! Manitou boat launch. They have a great sandy beachy area that is an actual "dog park". We are finding that it is becoming more "family friendly" with kids actually swimming with the dogs but no one seems to be bothered by it, dogs or kids! If this is of interest to you and you are not familier with the area let me know and I can give more detailed directions!

Old 09-16-2008, 08:17 AM

62 posts, read 184,583 times
Before beaches fill with dead fish at Crystal Lake, in Robbinsdale, I'll let my dog swim there. But this time of year it's full of garbage and stinks so I obviously won't let him swim in that. This is a useful thread, thanks, Jroman. I'll try some of the other suggestions.

I've seen people letting their dogs swim at Wirth Lake in Wirth Park. Not sure if it's legal to do so, though.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriEsStaR* View Post
Lake Harriet in Minneapolis.. I've seen plenty of dogs swim there but not on the beach part. More on the side where all the trees are. Im positive that you can bring your dog to that lake.
You might want to check the regulations for Lake Harriet. Just because you see people put their dogs in the water does not mean you can:
[url=http://www.minneapolisparks.org/default.asp?PageID=4&parkid=372]Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board - Park Detail[/url]
[FONT=verdana,arial,geneva][SIZE=2]
Please help keep our beaches clean by observing the following rules:
• Make sure infants are wearing swim diapers.
• Dogs are not allowed on beaches or in the water.
• Don’t feed ducks and other waterfowl, as they contribute bacteria and phosphorus to lakes.

The park police hand out $250 tickets for dogs in the water, and if it off leash you get an additional fine.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 09-05-2013, 01:23 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,100,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriEsStaR* View Post
The "dog beach" is at the south end of the lake, where Lake Harriet Parkway intersects with Queen and Penn Avenues. If you drive, park on the parkway and go down the stairs and you'll be at the dog beach. It may technically be illegal but I see plenty of dogs swimming here all the time. At your own risk of a ticket though, I guess. This is also where the Lake Harriet fairy tree is located.

Last edited by Glenfield; 09-05-2013 at 01:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota