Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 05:00 PM

124 posts, read 326,618 times

Advertisements

Oh, I know and agree with you (especially about the swear word part!). I grew up in MN and had friends of both nationalities. And I'll go further than that... I knew some older folks who wouldn't hang out/ associate with a nationality that their own nationality had a historical grudge against (and spoke the "you can't trust those XYZs, that why we haven't for centuries" kind of talk). But multiple Balkan ethnic groups co-existing in the same state does not diversity make....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 07:51 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
How is that not diversity? You don't need to be a visible minority to bring diversity.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:24 PM

256 posts, read 586,151 times
I've made this move, back in the early 90's. I'm originally from a small town in northern Minnesota, population 500. I joined the USAF, and my last assignment was Homestead Air Force Base. When I got out, I came back to Minnesota, finished college, and moved to Minneapolis after graduation. I've been here since. I had a good time in Florida. I do have to laugh when people talk about high crime rates in Minneapolis: compared to what?
Most people don't have that much problem getting adapted. When I first arrived in Miami, the locals were wearing sweaters, and I was wearing a t-shirt. By the next winter, I was one of the people in the sweater.

The weather here in Minnesota isn't quite as bad as the reputation would have you believe. It's about as cold as other northern-tier cities. International Falls is mind-numbingly cold, but that's a long ways away. It's not as if it is balmy in Wisconsin or Michigan either.

Spring and fall are nice here. I prefer fall, after the heat of summer, I'm ready to be cool. Plus, there's the leaves turning color and there is football too.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:15 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,707,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I've made this move, back in the early 90's. I'm originally from a small town in northern Minnesota, population 500. I joined the USAF, and my last assignment was Homestead Air Force Base. When I got out, I came back to Minnesota, finished college, and moved to Minneapolis after graduation. I've been here since. I had a good time in Florida. I do have to laugh when people talk about high crime rates in Minneapolis: compared to what?
Most people don't have that much problem getting adapted. When I first arrived in Miami, the locals were wearing sweaters, and I was wearing a t-shirt. By the next winter, I was one of the people in the sweater.

The weather here in Minnesota isn't quite as bad as the reputation would have you believe. It's about as cold as other northern-tier cities. International Falls is mind-numbingly cold, but that's a long ways away. It's not as if it is balmy in Wisconsin or Michigan either.

Spring and fall are nice here. I prefer fall, after the heat of summer, I'm ready to be cool. Plus, there's the leaves turning color and there is football too.
I always get a kick out of people from Boston, Chicago, Cleveland and Detroit that say "Minneapolis is cold!"... It's like ok, December January and February are a little colder than you, and the rest of the year is the exact same.

Old 09-09-2018, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 685 times
I've been wanting to move "home" to Minnesota for a looong time. I'm worried about teaching in the state. I am highly qualified and have good credentials. It's I've only taught in Fl. and feel my current county has a great school board to work for because they do care about their teachers. (It's not perfect but no place is perfect) I wonder how much different Minnesota is? Do they back teachers and handle student affairs correctly? I've heard things have changed up there and they are very aggressive toward teachers, especially in and around the Twin Cities. Anyone have any idea?

Old 09-15-2018, 09:03 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
I moved from Florida to Texas in 2014, and from Texas to Minnesota in 2017. Minnesota is without a doubt, my favourite place on this little-big green and blue ball in space. I'm so glad I moved here.

I hated living in Florida. Sure, it was fine as a kid. Its all I knew. But as a teenager I started hating living in Florida. I eventually moved out after I got in a long distance relationship, but some of the things I couldn't stand about Florida especially Miami, are the rude people, the language barrier BS, the horrible drivers, the hot hot weather and lack of seasons, and just the general unattractiveness. South Florida is an eyesore, unless you're at the beach. Tacky soulless suburban architecture, lack of shade trees, nothing historic and no sense of community.

Here in Minnesota, its different. Its very Normal Rockwell in many ways. I live in Saint Paul and I'm still taken aback by the views. Its a lot hillier than people would expect. Florida is flat as plastered dog sh*t. Minnesota, at least here in Ramsey Co., is full of hills, river bluffs and forested cliffsides. The nature is phenomenal, I love the lakes, the seasons are amazing. My favourite is mid-fall through early winter. I love the sense of community here, the fact it hasn't been overrun by transplants and the fact that immigrants actually learn English here. *cough cough Miami* People are really proud to be from here, but not as arrogant as Texans. And I find the Minnesota accent adorable. Fer cute!!! I've even started picking it up a little bit with the long Os. Its contagious!

Also, as a gay man, its super tolerant here. Thats another plus for me. I wonder how OP has done over 10 years after their move. I love it here, and I liked Texas but I LOVE Minnesota. Florida... ehh. If all my family and friends moved out of there this year, I wouldn't be down there anytime soon. All I can say on that.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:40 PM

370 posts, read 903,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I wonder how OP has done over 10 years after their move.
I'm the OP. After 9 months I was ready to go, but in 2008 after a house purchase and a son in school we were stuck until 2015 and in the spring of 2016 we left. Culturally, Minnesota was not a good fit for us.

My son has friends and stayed, and my wife and I went back to Florida but not to South Florida. I can't imagine what the circumstances would be to compel me to go back there. Instead we're along the east central coast, have fit in quite well and are extremely happy.

I'm glad you're enjoying the life you've found.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
I'm the OP. After 9 months I was ready to go, but in 2008 after a house purchase and a son in school we were stuck until 2015 and in the spring of 2016 we left. Culturally, Minnesota was not a good fit for us.

My son has friends and stayed, and my wife and I went back to Florida but not to South Florida. I can't imagine what the circumstances would be to compel me to go back there. Instead we're along the east central coast, have fit in quite well and are extremely happy.

I'm glad you're enjoying the life you've found.
Interesting. Culturally I dont think I could have found a better state for me. I fit right in! I was a fish out of water in South Florida... anywhere in Florida really but especially the southern part. The one part of Florida I like is the north central area where I spent a good portion of my summers and holidays as a kid, as I love the rural atmosphere. But even then when it comes to rural environments, I prefer the Midwest over the South.

Weather wise, I am so glad to be up here. Rather have it chilly than hot.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
I always get a kick out of people from Boston, Chicago, Cleveland and Detroit that say "Minneapolis is cold!"... It's like ok, December January and February are a little colder than you, and the rest of the year is the exact same.
Right. Our average winter highs are in the 20s. The 20s. That's like... nothing. We have as many mild 30something degree days as we do brutal sub zero days.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:27 AM

225 posts, read 211,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
I've never lived in the other cities but for Boston this is completely untrue. It's definitely warmer there. Check the weather on any given day and its 15-20 degrees higher...e.g. right now it is 41 in Minneapolis and 59 in Boston. For colder New England cities, you have to go further north. It was warmer in Chicago when I was there as well, and still is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Right. Our average winter highs are in the 20s. The 20s. That's like... nothing. We have as many mild 30something degree days as we do brutal sub zero days.
For a lot of the U.S., the 20s is not nothing, it is cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota