Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 03:04 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
Apparently the grass looks greener here, but after making the journey, some feel it looks greener than it actually is. One can only speculate that the grass from whatever location they came from was not very green, or greener than they thought it was. Either of those choices would indicate a certian level of _____________. You fill in the blank.
Uh...what? You kind of lost me with the grass talk? Are you a lawnmower or a pothead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 03:51 PM

989 posts, read 2,961,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Uh...what? You kind of lost me with the grass talk? Are you a lawnmower or a pothead?
Apparently you never heard the expression about the grass being greener on the other side of the fence.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:56 PM

I've heard it before. I was just lost in all that grass talk. I don't know why. You only typed a few sentences yet I still can't understand what you meant. Could you explain it again, in different terms (no grass allegories please)?

Old 09-24-2008, 07:13 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleraerae View Post
Well, I've been thinking about places to live and Minnesota seems like a great place, although I've never been there. I'm from a small town in Western SD and I feel like Minnesota is like SD, only with bigger towns and cities.

My question is, there seems to be a lot of people saying that Minnesotans are close-minded and backwards and that it's hard to make friends. As I'm from SD I see a lot of those comments too.

I'm outgoing and social, so as long as I try, I should be able to make friends, right? Are all the people who say everyone is mean in MN the ones who are close-minded and not trying or is the rumour true?
SD is so similar to MN nobody will even know your not from here unless you tell them.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:35 AM

989 posts, read 2,961,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
I've heard it before. I was just lost in all that grass talk. I don't know why. You only typed a few sentences yet I still can't understand what you meant. Could you explain it again, in different terms (no grass allegories please)?
All I was trying to say is that people who move here have a reason for doing so. Could be they came for a job, or many other reasons.

It occurs to me that some people quickly forget the reason that drew them here and start focusing on things that are different than they expected them to be. In essence, some people are not going to be happy no matter where they are. Hence the reference to the grass is never green enough, or the grass is greener on the other side of the fence (somewhere else is better than here).

Old 09-26-2008, 07:57 AM

Makes perfectly good sense. Thank you.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:09 AM

4 posts, read 8,263 times
I have lived in MN twice, first in the early 90's and now for the past 3 years.

Here is the thing. There are minnesota nice people here, but you have to find them. This a very reserved place.

If you really want to get to know people then you need to marry into a family. It can be hard to find people to hang out with because everyone spends all of their social time hanging out with their extended families. I'm not implying that there is a lot of inbreeding going on, but I'm sure that the rumors started with the families spending all their spare time together.

Drivers here can't merge. They will pull onto a highway merge lane and then stop until oncoming traffic is clear for at least a mile in every direction. It is unnerving. I have walked up to many a car stopped like that to see if anyone needed an ambulance.

Anyway, if you are from SD, then you understand the entire extended family thing. Good luck. You will likely find Mn much like SD but with lakes and sidewalks and ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota