Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 03:09 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybrad77 View Post
I am from Michigan and my wife is from Minnesota. Me and my wife spent the last 8 years in Michigan, and we just recently moved back to Minnesota. Her family never understood why we choose Michigan over Minnesota. I tell them the winters are warmer and they say, "both states are in the North, how would winter be any differant?" So here it is. There is Michigan cold, then there's Minnesota cold. The average high temp in Michigan where I lived was 28 dagrees. Here in Minnesota, 5 dagrees. There are parts of Minnesota colder than parts of Alaska! Anchorage's average high in winter is 22 dagrees. So yes, Minnesota is COLD, with hot summers. And to the person who said it makes Minnesota special, no, it makes Minnesota cold and miserable. But, summers are nice here, and that's special. P.S. Go TIGERS!!!
Not a single spot in MN has an average high temperature of 5 degrees.

International Falls, MN is often called the coldest spot in the Lower 48 states and the average high temperature for January there is 14 degrees.

The January average high for Minneapolis is 22.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 03:08 PM

33 posts, read 40,339 times
Well alright, not 5, but it's still cold. Look at last nigh, -13
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Not a single spot in MN has an average high temperature of 5 degrees.

International Falls, MN is often called the coldest spot in the Lower 48 states and the average high temperature for January there is 14 degrees.

The January average high for Minneapolis is 22.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:08 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,777 times
I lived for 31 years in Minnesotas. If you can't handle the cold, then you would be considered a woosie!! Unlike living in the hot humid south, you can always put another layer of cloths on and go outside and enjoy!!

Old 03-02-2008, 09:29 PM

8 posts, read 21,735 times
We've actually decided to stay put. I think the reason behind my wanting to leave was that Feb 14th was the year anniversary of my Mom's death and I was feeling a bit depressed. Add to that the unusual severe cold and I just wanted to get away. I love Minnesota, I really do. With all the weather highs and lows it's still a great place to live. Should a semi-truck full of money pull up to my door I may move to somewhere like Hawaii, I spent 3 months there and loved it, but Hawaii is WAY out of my budget. So, for the foreseeable future We will be die hard Minnesotans and lovin' it.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:42 AM

4 posts, read 10,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I think the cold temps are much easier to deal with then the extremely hot temps. You add a few layers of clothing and just don't go outside as much. When it is 110° you take off a few layers and don't go outside much. It is pretty much the same thing. People are always amazed with the cold but don't realize that that kind of weather only happens for a few days in the winter and not even every winter is like that. People don't seem to think it odd that living in Texas you stay inside all summer because it is too hot to go out, what is the difference???
The difference? In Texas, we go swimming when it's hot! You go innertubing down rivers with buses that drop you off at designated public launch points! You put the airconditioning on, a simple action. When the electricity for some reason goes out, you don't DIE IN YOUR SLEEP. When it's hot, you don't have to "suit-up" to take the dog out. When it's hot, there's always a way to get a drink, even if it comes down a public faucet. If you're meaning the desert in Texas, well, nobody pretty much lives there.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:42 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelandmaster View Post
The difference? In Texas, we go swimming when it's hot! You go innertubing down rivers with buses that drop you off at designated public launch points! You put the airconditioning on, a simple action. When the electricity for some reason goes out, you don't DIE IN YOUR SLEEP. When it's hot, you don't have to "suit-up" to take the dog out. When it's hot, there's always a way to get a drink, even if it comes down a public faucet. If you're meaning the desert in Texas, well, nobody pretty much lives there.
So in the winter we go sledding, intertubing down hills, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, ice skating... . If your air goes out when it is 100+ you can also die. It is almost unheard of for someone to freeze to death in their home--never heard of it happening here as a matter of fact, yet people die in the summer from the heat all the time. We can always get a drink here too, not sure what that has to do with anything though.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:52 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,961,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelandmaster View Post
actually, you know in the last decade, more people have actually died from heat waves than cold waves, right?

Old 03-17-2008, 02:57 PM

4 posts, read 9,359 times
I have lived in duluth mn all of my life. I love it here. However I can see where people can have a problem with our cold climate. Its cold, windy, and sometimes when you breath in through your nose your snot instantly freezes , ect, ect. However, the weather is part of the culture. If you dont like it, get out. Its really simple, move somewhere else. If you have to ask "How can you guys stand the cold minnesota weather." you dont get it, you might never get it and minnesota is just not for you. I have been lucky to be able to grow up and find a life in the same region that I grew up in. All of the things that I love about duluth could be all of the things that you hate about minnesota.
Every place is different. Spend less lime wondering how people can be in love with the lives that they created in the friged state of minnesota, and more time finding out what kind of life you want.
I dont like coffiee. Most people do. I spend no time in my life contemplating the reason that I dont like coffiee. I spend my time finding and enjoying the things I like.
p.s. Ill never move to a southren state and wonder why i couldnt understand any of their weather, or culture. Id know I wouldnt like it before I got there.

Last edited by junkyjje; 03-17-2008 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: grammer

Old 03-17-2008, 03:13 PM

4 posts, read 9,359 times
I also personally believe that people who live in cold weather climates are more productive workers. The harshness of the envoriment builds character. You cant just quit your job and become a homless looser. You would freeze to death. Please dont try to qoute me the homeless rates of Duluth MN, I allready know. Our homless are tougher than yours

Old 11-19-2008, 07:38 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
I think it will be a hard winter this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota