U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 03:06 PM
sub sub started this thread

11 posts, read 16,782 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a vacation in the middle of October to the North Shore area, possibly around Two Harbors, or a little farther up the coast.
I'm curious as to what there is to do that time of year. I know it isn't peak season, and don't expect much, but on the other hand, I just want some peace and quiet to relax. I don't mind the cold. I like fishing, hiking, and sightseeing with nice scenery, and this seems like a good place to do those things.
Any recommendations on affordable hotels, or advice on things to do would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 04:20 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,543,052 times
Not really sure about hotels, but I would recommend checking out Gooseberry Falls and Split Rock Lighthouse. I also think Two Harbors is a cute town to explore. It's been a while since I've been a tourist up there so that's about all the advice I can come up with at the moment.

Have fun!!

Old 09-19-2008, 05:22 PM

856 posts, read 1,530,799 times
A little farther up the Shore you can find horseback riding, mountain biking, golf, fishing all around Lutsen.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:36 AM

868 posts, read 2,452,464 times
Take a look at the superior national hiking trail. Tons of things to do on there. I come all the way from Idaho just to hike and get some away time.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:12 AM

989 posts, read 1,893,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I'm planning a vacation in the middle of October to the North Shore area, possibly around Two Harbors, or a little farther up the coast.
I'm curious as to what there is to do that time of year. I know it isn't peak season, and don't expect much, but on the other hand, I just want some peace and quiet to relax. I don't mind the cold. I like fishing, hiking, and sightseeing with nice scenery, and this seems like a good place to do those things.
Any recommendations on affordable hotels, or advice on things to do would be greatly appreciated.
Actually, in October there is a fair amount of activity watching fall colors change. You will see tour busses. Popular spot is the Lutsen Ski area. You can take the lift up, hike around and they have a cafe open. Weather can vary a fair bit that time of year from sunny and nice to overcast, windy and chilly (suppose you could say that about july too).

Some great hiking is available near tetegouche state park. Spelling might be off on that. Trail is up from lake by several hundred feet, and you can get some very nice views.

If you are looking for quite, it won't be hard to find. At the same time, stuff is open and there are lots of people doing the same.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:43 PM
sub sub started this thread

11 posts, read 16,782 times
Thank you all for the replies.
I might be spending a day in Duluth while I'm in the area. I was wondering, are the sightseeing cruises on Lake Superior worth the trouble?

Old 09-24-2008, 08:09 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,543,052 times
I personally have enjoyed them when I've gone on them, but it might be different for someone who didn't grow up there. I've gone in the cold too and still had a fun time.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:20 AM

989 posts, read 1,893,303 times
Quote:
I might be spending a day in Duluth while I'm in the area. I was wondering, are the sightseeing cruises on Lake Superior worth the trouble?
Superior can get rough, and the wave patterns are different than ocean. Twice I have been green under the gills on LS, most often I am fine. I normally do not get sea sick at all in the ocean. Something to think about. Personally, I think the views are better from shore. I like to go fishing for Lake Trout from time to time and have gone out to Isle Royale a couple times which is what puts me on the water.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:50 AM

9,913 posts, read 14,646,897 times
Quote:
The Vista boats which tour the harbor are interesting, I think. We just did that tour again a month or so ago, and you learn a lot about the various buildings, bridges, and loading docks, as well as some of the history of the area.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:35 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,643,847 times
One of the best views in Duluth is from the lighthouse on the canal side Duluth. It's especially nice when night is falling and the lights are starting to go on.

Skyline in West Duluth is also very nice. Curvy road, but then you get to the lookout point, which is also a very nice scenic area.

There is a lot of nice views in Duluth in the summer and fall.

I'd also recommend going to Jay Cooke State Park in the falltime. Very pretty, I'd say. But that's in Thomson, which is about 12 miles south of Duluth. Read up on it, maybe it'll interest you to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota