U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-23-2008, 07:33 AM

989 posts, read 1,685,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
This brings up a good point--water. There is a lot of bedrock in the area, making a need for very deep wells straight through the rock in some areas. The cabin we rented for a couple years didn't have water because of this issue. So find out the cost of drilling on a particular site before finalizing any sale. Or find out if you can live off of collection only. Actually, that probably wouldn't be too hard. I know of at least one man that does full-time. We did as well--it was my husband and I and an infant. We went through about 35 gallons a week (I think), but we did laundry in town and took showers at work.

I'm not sure about the North Shore, but there are multiple natural artisian wells along the Wisconsin and Michigan shoreline. I would imagine it would be the same along the MN shore.
The next plot over from mine has a 400 foot well. I also ran into some minor issues with bedrock trying to dig a trench for my graywater system.

I checked into a well and septic. 12K for spetic and well was hard to pinpoint. They gave me a range. I figured 25K to put in water and septic. That is a lot of money, so I went the cheap route and it works well enough for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-23-2008, 10:17 AM

26 posts, read 38,439 times
Cougars are extremely rare in Minnesota. I've never seen one.

There are black bears, wolves, moose, and coyotes, though. Black bears sometimes knock my garbage can over and my friend had a wolf try to attack her dogs. At night, I can often hear coyotes howling.

The chance of an animal attack is very minimal. Most animals keep away from humans.

Unread 10-23-2008, 04:19 PM

53 posts, read 77,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophocles_sarcophagus View Post
Cougars are extremely rare in Minnesota. I've never seen one.

There are black bears, wolves, moose, and coyotes, though. Black bears sometimes knock my garbage can over and my friend had a wolf try to attack her dogs. At night, I can often hear coyotes howling.

The chance of an animal attack is very minimal. Most animals keep away from humans.
I wasn't worried about getting attacked, just curious. So there is moose up there. Are there a lot of them and are you allowed to hunt them?

Unread 10-23-2008, 05:37 PM

989 posts, read 1,685,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilJohnson View Post
I wasn't worried about getting attacked, just curious. So there is moose up there. Are there a lot of them and are you allowed to hunt them?
Yes there is a moose season. Permits are very limited and they are awarded on a once per lifetime basis from a pool of applicants. Farily common to see them on Highway 1 between North Shore and Ely, and some parts of the boundary waters. Population estimates vary. I belive the DNR is saying several thousdand is the ballpark number. They also say there is about 2000 wolves, which I belive to be a very low estimate.

Unread 10-23-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
Yes there is a moose season. Permits are very limited and they are awarded on a once per lifetime basis from a pool of applicants. Farily common to see them on Highway 1 between North Shore and Ely, and some parts of the boundary waters. Population estimates vary. I belive the DNR is saying several thousdand is the ballpark number. They also say there is about 2000 wolves, which I belive to be a very low estimate.
Well even if I didn't get to hunt one I think it would be neat to see one. I have never seen a moose.

Unread 10-24-2008, 10:05 AM

2,133 posts, read 3,405,770 times
There was at least one sighitng of a mountain lion about 10 years ago, but I didn't pay attention to/don't remember sightings from the last time I lived in Ely (4.5 years ago). I would imagine at least the one would keep in the area, but they do have large territories. I always had the worse luck in seeing moose! I finally did, along Hwy. 2. My sister would take her daughter out on a particular road off of Hwy 1, close to Ely, to see moose. I will find out which road that was, if you want.

Unread 10-25-2008, 07:49 AM

143 posts, read 295,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilJohnson View Post
Someone told me once that there were cougars in that area, are they full of it?
According to the DNR, here's what we have for big cats in MN.
I've only ever seen a Bobcat personally.

Cougar
Cougar: Nature Snapshots from Minnesota DNR: Minnesota DNR (http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/snapshots/mammals/cougar.html - broken link)

Canada Lynx
Canada Lynx: Nature Snapshots from Minnesota DNR: Minnesota DNR

Bobcat
Bobcat: Nature Snapshots from Minnesota DNR: Minnesota DNR

Unread 10-25-2008, 08:35 AM

I have seen one Bobcat in my life down here in central Wisconsin. I checked out that DNR page on those cats. From what they say it sounds like the chances of seeing a cougar would be about the same as winning Powerball.

Crazyme, I would be interested in knowing where your sister went for moose sight seeing.

Unread 11-29-2008, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,102 times
I envy your ability to do for yourselves. I love Minnesota, all of it, but prefer country living. It's not bad out here on the west coast of the state, but they are taxing me out of house and home. (Somebody spread a rumor that I have money.) I'm actually living on oatmeal, peanut butter sandwiches and coffee, and my house is at 57 degrees in the winter. As a widowed old lady, I still work full time to make it. The hardest part is the loneliness, as family is too busy. TV does not interest me.
I am not bored because I am a multi-tasker with many varied giftings. I was hoping to find a cheaper place to do my arts, and be of use to someone, but no one seems to need my talents, and the economy has made me a bit destitute. My physical size doesn't allow me to do work on my house, and needing a full time job keeps me from completing anything in good time. I just got my 2008 tax statement on this place, and they went up another 38.7 per cent this year, after an increase of 54-something last year. It bites. The house has devalued and will continue to do so whether the economy picks up or not. I think a cabin in the woods with a loved one sounds wonderful. Go for it!

Unread 12-03-2008, 01:08 PM

2,660 posts, read 2,390,424 times
There shouldn't be much in the way of Taxes if he finds a place way off the Grid. I'm sure he can find some suitible land for self development that is both reasonable and also scenic. There is always the possibility that you could find a place already in existence at a decent price too.

Compared to WI, MN is 100% better, although there is probably some WI land way up north that would be acceptable. Still the land of 10,000 lakes is an out doors man's paradice. Mother Nature was really nice to man here in Minnesota. She added all kinds of wild life to Land where Glaciers have make lakes and Drumlins. Some of the Prettiest Praries and Pine Forrests. It's all here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota